18 replies to this topic

#1 VanishedOne

VanishedOne

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 06:42 PM

POPULAR

This is the mission I built to learn DR (with some lengthy gaps when Life intervened), and naturally has much in it I'd do differently now. As a starter mission it's fairly simple (manor house; object to steal; locked door; shiny things) and of moderate size, though the evidence from beta testing is that your mileage may vary on that point.

• Just completing the mission requires one unconcealed key and is mostly about working out where to go. If you want to get all the loot, it's assumed you enjoy hunting high and low for trinkets. And keys. And clues about the first two.
  • The grounds/exterior and the chapel may be somewhat taxing performance-wise.
  • Paintings galore: none of them loot. Don't bother checking.
  • Every mansion needs at least one Dark Secret, but there's no special reward or objective for piecing fragments together, and some strands are left deliberately dangling...
  • If you can't bear even two seconds (precisely) of undead, stay out of
    Spoiler

Thanks to all the people whose assets, test reports and/or advice in NDRQs went into this.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Download link

Construction notes (for those who like reading):

Spoiler

• Bikerdude, PsymH, Tarhiel and 11 others like this

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

#2 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8443 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 07:04 PM

Congrats!
Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#3 Peanut

Peanut

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 09:42 AM

Some very spooky lighting there, nice!

#4 athalle

athalle

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 02:11 PM

Congrats, VanishedOne. It's stunning! I feel like I'm going to have a great time! Thank you for that.

#5 VanishedOne

VanishedOne

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 02:46 PM

I hope so. :smile: Beta testing indicated the actual mission flow may not suit all tastes, but thanks to that input I made it a bit better at suggesting where to go. Though it's still pretty much 'VanishedOne learns how DR works by making a set of individually decorated rooms'.

• Anderson likes this

#6 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8443 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:44 AM

Now in the Missions page:

http://www.thedarkmo...details/?id=121

and in-game down-loader.
  • VanishedOne likes this
Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#7 gnartsch

gnartsch

• PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 09:46 AM

Pretty nice mission!

I liked a lot the mix of modern and classic architecture, but I must admit that

Spoiler

Anyway, a pretty solid mission nonetheless.

Just two questions, before I am willing to make my way to the end of the mission.

Spoiler

#8 VanishedOne

VanishedOne

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 10:25 AM

Cheers. You're not the first to remark on the darkened room: it's a case where, since there are no AI in there, I kept the stylistic/thematic choice anyway. (No light switch; electricity wouldn't go with Nathan's faux-pagan tastes.)

You could always light the fire

Spoiler

As for the key to the blue door,

Spoiler

• Anderson likes this

#9 athalle

athalle

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:24 AM

I hope so. :smile: Beta testing indicated the actual mission flow may not suit all tastes, but thanks to that input I made it a bit better at suggesting where to go. Though it's still pretty much 'VanishedOne learns how DR works by making a set of individually decorated rooms'.

It suits my tastes :) You're a fantastic interior decorator, and I love the heating system and fireplaces!

I'm still searching for the....key (how perverse you are...) of the safe in the office. A little help please!

• VanishedOne likes this

#10 VanishedOne

VanishedOne

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 01:58 PM

Hint: there's a clue in

Spoiler

Outright answer:

Spoiler

• Anderson likes this

#11 teh_saccade

teh_saccade

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 07:50 PM

Hi,

I'm the guy no-one likes.

I liked the start of this level a lot.
Using a vine arrow to climb onto the balcony, mossing the floor and sneaking in was a decent way to get started.

After that, I think a highlight for me was the well section (very nice) - but I'm not a fan of expansive key hunts.

I managed to get stuck in a few places from which I couldn't return.
Easy fix with a clip.

The first, most obvious, was the rooftop, over the railings (thought maybe could smash the glass to drop in, since there was the opportunity to do so downstairs if not being sneaky).
Guess that was mostly my fault for not throwing over something to climb back over the railings with... However, pressing against the glass would stick me.

[attachment=15304:stuck-1.jpg]
[attachment=15306:clip-needed-1.jpg]

The second - accessing the main building using the method described, through the balcony - up to the rafters - grab a bale and take it to the target with three arrows. Can mantle up onto this and over the wall, escaping level. Thought it might be a shortcut back round. Just led to a room full of skeletons, a tour of the outskirts via nodraw and no way back in.

[attachment=15303:stuck-2.jpg]
[attachment=15305:clip-needed-2.jpg]

Additionally, I've never seen so much monster-clip in a level, ever.
Perhaps the strange AI behaviour is due to the path leading through these swathes of monster-clip.

Occasionally, one or two would open a door that would require a particular key and get stuck in a loop, allowing me to immediately access through, eg, the kitchen.
The archer above the grass lion takes one arrow and panics with no escape route. Sometimes he will open the door - it is impossible to drop something on his head for KO and enter this way. Mossing the floor to drop and pick - never managed to get it in time.

Putting a noisemaker outside will cause many guards to investigate and open nearly every door, leaving them open and unlocked for as long as they are searching and until they return to patrol.
Some kind of chain-alert that negates the key-hunt.

Found maybe 4-5k loot, half of which was through random clicking - some didn't make sense, no idea why this hairbrush was worth 15 when another was trash. Some was well hidden, in rafters or in plague doctor cap.
One thing that got me - none of the beautiful artwork was loot. Not that I found.
Loot's very scattered, but considering the size of the level...

Sometimes it's difficult to walk down a lighted corridor, unless standing in a shadow and taking a smoke break until it's time to ghost behind the guard (into a brightly lit room, in which he immediately turns or is alerted by a civ.). It was very square, but really did show off a lot of the new assets and things that can be done now - it was impressive.

Got into a lot of swordfights. Was fun. Many arrows to faces - didn't really try the blackjack on teh guards, only rushing the nobs (which in UK is slang for penis) when they caught me trying to figure if that map was Minoan or of France, or figured out from where the fruit was being thrown at them...

A few doors open backwards... which means it is easy to trap patrolling guards inside by placing an object (of which there are many), such as a bale or box, in front of the door.

Really nice use of reflection - especially the puddle and the ceiling.

There were many windows with god-ray-like effect and particle, but that did not appear to cast light onto opposite wall. Some detail like that would really fill the spaces. I couldn't tell if they lit me or not, without a light-gem. Didn't appear to.

Took about 2-3 tries to escape level, got stuck in the roof bit on 1st try.
Playing properly - after around 1:30hrs, after finding red key, decided that didn't quite fancy running around trying to find which door it fit.
Probably the door downstairs that is lit red. Idk.

Got killed by a guy from Hammerfell with a curved sword. Called it a day.

Built up some psychogeography of the map and some nice cut-routes.

The best part had to be finding a way in that wasn't simply picking a lock or finding the guy who has the key, or waltzing in the front entrance - and the well section, which was very nicely done.
Actually had to case the place to find a way in and try to be smart about it (glad I bought a vine arrow and some moss), rather than just open that door... I liked that a lot.

#12 esme

esme

• PipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 08:09 AM

Any hints

Spoiler

And where's the key

Spoiler

#13 prjames

prjames

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 03:42 PM

Any hints

Spoiler

And where's the key

Spoiler

Can't help

Spoiler

For

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

- prjames

• Tarhiel likes this

#14 esme

esme

• PipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 06:38 AM

Thank you

Spoiler

#15 goodtaffer

goodtaffer

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 12:13 PM

congrats, good mission.

#16 Peanut

Peanut

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:50 PM

Beautiful mission. I liked the quirky lightning. But the secrets are quite difficult,

Any hints on

Spoiler

#17 cavador_8

cavador_8

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:27 AM

Loved this mission except for the frame rate. There were just too many places inside and outside the mansion where I would face a certain way and get 30fps. This can be helped some by setting ambient rendering to simple and by disabling the post processing. However, I really wish these places where the frame rate drops to 30 could be fixed. It's a shame too because the mansion is so incredibly beautiful. I was going to add this one to my walkthrough website, but I just can't deal with all these places where the frame rate drops. A consistent solid frame rate is very important to me. By the way, my pc has a GTX 1080 with 16GB of ram and I can play pretty much any other mission at 4k resolution and 60fps.

Edited by cavador_8, 14 January 2018 - 01:02 PM.

#18 Dead Rat

Dead Rat

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 08:39 AM

Encountered a problem on this one which I've also had with a few other missions. There's an intense "OOOO!" type of hum, sounding like very loud feedback, which kicks in when I enter the entrance hall and then hangs around various rooms, and also remains when you go to Settings etc. I can't believe that the sound as I hear it was ever deliberately chosen, as it's simply unbearable.

Is this a known problem? Presumably it has something to do with how my soundcard (SoundblasterZ) interprets that sound file.

In Thief you can just remove offending sound files from the folder, but this doesn't seem to work with TDM.

#19 Dead Rat

Dead Rat

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 07:07 AM

Tried it going through the Steinberg audio interface and Kurzweil speakers - it's still there, but not as intense as with the Soundblaster and Altec Lansing MX5021s. It's coming from the spherical white lights and is presumably intentional.

Maybe I'm just particularly sensitive to that sound, but I find it hard to bear.  :blink:

I'll try to avoid the lights.... :smile:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users