Photo

Fan Mission: Volta II - Cauldron of the Gods by Kingsal (11/30/17)

volta cauldron

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#26 Judith

Judith

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1284 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 04:36 AM

I must be one lucky bastard, because on my system it runs like a charm on both 2.05 and 2.06. The only problems I encountered are beta related, like sound cut-off, or bloom not working.

#27 lowenz

lowenz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1788 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 07:23 AM

I must be one lucky bastard, because on my system it runs like a charm on both 2.05 and 2.06. The only problems I encountered are beta related, like sound cut-off, or bloom not working.

Bloom (r_postprocessing) not working in 2.06? :|

For me it's working.

Edited by lowenz, 02 December 2017 - 07:23 AM.

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

#28 Judith

Judith

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1284 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 08:04 AM

Correction, it works, but something is different. It depends on material, but sometimes it's really subtle, like barely noticeable. I think it's also a bit more contrasty. Previous version was more like TES: Oblivion kind of Bloom, 2.06 is different.

#29 lowenz

lowenz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1788 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 11:18 AM

IMHO now it's really well toned (tuned?)

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

#30 Abusimplea

Abusimplea

• PipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 11:32 AM

Spoiler

I know the throw mechanics with holding it longer to throw further... just am really bad at timing the distance and guessing the arc - and it may be personal lazyness too (never trained that because i always had a lot of other options). I throw objects for distractions from time to time to spare precious equipment or reposition AI for easier blackjacking though.

To not discourage anyone else who is like me: This mission is perfectly playable without precision throwing.

Spoiler

Did not plan to report anything initially because of playing on unsupported 2.06 - so made no shots.

But i will notarget-noclip to the places i remember and do some shooting...

#31 Durandall

Durandall

• PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 11:52 AM

Thanks for the feedback and for playing.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#32 fortuni

fortuni

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 12:05 PM

POPULAR

I rarely post in this forum, but i just wanted to say what a wonderful time I had playing this mission.  :smile:

Hours of exploring up and down, left and right, over and under and I still only found 2 secret and 1300 loot. A sign of a brilliantaly designed and executed map IMHO. The fact that there is only one objective also shows that authors do not have to make complicated plots to make great missions, a trap that too often some authors fall into.

I saw that Goldwell likened this mission to TDP in looks, which I agree with, but I also saw a lot of similarities with the T3 mission 'Valley' by Flux, which is possibly one of my favourite missions of all time, which may also explain why I have spent the last 4/5 hours grinning like a Siamese cat, so thank you Kingsal for a superb mission and a hugely rewarding afternoon.

Be assured I'll be giving this mission glowing praise in the Brief Summaries over at TTLG.

Now where are those other secrets and the rest of the loot.  :unsure:

ps. I didn't come across any significant bugs or gameplay issues and I have a mid-range gaming laptop, apart from in one place I did fall out of the map (the v-shaped alcove just on the right after you leave the cauldron area before you drop down to Bellero)

Edited by fortuni, 03 December 2017 - 01:04 PM.

• Judith, Melan, HMart and 5 others like this

#33 kingsal

kingsal

• PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 01:24 PM

Spoiler

Can you PM me your saved game that this is happening in? I'll take a look at this and try to figure out whats going on there. Sorry about that.

Edited by kingsal, 02 December 2017 - 01:24 PM.

• Anderson likes this

#34 Durandall

Durandall

• PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 01:52 PM

It's no problem, I just noclipped through the door.

Didn't have the original quicksave, but I loaded an older hard save and made a new quicksave that still has the same problem.
Hard save and quicksave for Cauldron v1 in this archive:
TDM_Cauldron_Save.zip

• kingsal likes this

#35 MayheM

MayheM

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 07:42 PM

congratulations! i haven't finish it yet but i just came here to say how awesome this mission is, and i also like the new footstep sound :D, way better than the default one. well done.

• kingsal likes this

#36 Taquito.

Taquito.

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 09:35 AM

815/1942 and only 2 Secrets.  <_<  Overall the Mission is pretty amazing with some  beautiful and intricate details to look at, both in the city area, the ruins and caverns. I enjoyed all the new elements added to the mission and I got  scared the most with the one thing that couldn't hurt me at all.  :laugh:  I do agree with the poster saying some of the mushrooms were too bright and I say in some areas, cause in others they're perfectly lighted but in others they kind of obstruct some potential hiding places and also diminish that blueish moon/ambient light in specific parts of the caverns. Those pics posted don't do much justice to the atmosphere this mission brings and reminded me of Skyrim in a good way. Kinsal maintains his high level of quality and goes even further adding new and fresh elements to the game. I felt like this missions gave many hints for a third episode or was I missing something?  ;) 

• Tarhiel and kingsal like this

#37 Thieving Barbarian

Thieving Barbarian

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:58 AM

Great mission that reminded me of playing the Lost City missions in the originals. Apart from wondering how the mark got where he got unscathed through everything, the only thing that bothered me was

Spoiler

Edited by Thieving Barbarian, 03 December 2017 - 01:08 PM.

• kingsal likes this

#38 kingsal

kingsal

• PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 02:03 PM

Thanks for playing everyone. 

Spoiler

Great mission that reminded me of playing the Lost City missions in the originals. Apart from wondering how the mark got where he got unscathed through everything, the only thing that bothered me was

Spoiler

Spoiler

#39 unfairlight

unfairlight

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 02:48 PM

Just completed it. A nice difficulty balance, everything flows together really naturally and it's super pretty to look at. Probably a top 10 mission for me, great work. As others said I think there was a tad bit too much light. Certain places were basically impossible to pass because of the mushrooms. Maybe have them be destroyable with broadheads? I only used them for distraction so that would have given me more mileage out of them.

• kingsal likes this

#40 kingsal

kingsal

• PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 02:57 PM

Just completed it. A nice difficulty balance, everything flows together really naturally and it's super pretty to look at. Probably a top 10 mission for me, great work. As others said I think there was a tad bit too much light. Certain places were basically impossible to pass because of the mushrooms. Maybe have them be destroyable with broadheads? I only used them for distraction so that would have given me more mileage out of them.

Thanks for playing! Destroyable mushrooms is an interesting idea. I'd worry about it unbalance the level a bit, but it's something worth trying.

Edited by kingsal, 03 December 2017 - 03:03 PM.

• unfairlight likes this

#41 Judith

Judith

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1284 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 03:01 PM

You can always limit the number of broadheads in the shop / starting inventory ;)

#42 kingsal

kingsal

• PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 03:12 PM

You can always limit the number of broadheads in the shop / starting inventory ;)

I'm not worried about that, but more so the player having too much control over the encounters. I'd have to rethink a lot of the level and probably put in some non-breakable light sources like the glowing crystals or something. Its an interesting idea, but would take a lot of work. 

EDIT: The other option would be to add more torches that can be doused, which might be fun. 

Edited by kingsal, 03 December 2017 - 03:14 PM.

• Judith likes this

#43 Judith

Judith

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1284 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 03:24 PM

I kind of feel bad that we didn't do more structured tests. I focused mostly on technical stuff and show-stoppers, I didn't have more time for gameplay-related suggestions.

#44 Abusimplea

Abusimplea

• PipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 03:30 PM

I would not even think about destroying squishy mushrooms with broadheads. Would use stones for that. There are plenty on the ground all over the mission and they always come in pairs of two...

Torches are always a good way to eat some performance (and they are fun of course). You would have to replace mushrooms with torches (totally fine, but atmosphere altering). Maybe some more static clutter could make it harder to navigate around AI in some "rooms". Then there do not have to be that much light sources and therefore you could replace some with dousable torches.

I killed everything for what i had the impression that i would have to pass it twice though (there are plenty of sniper points that are unreachable for AI)...

#45 Tarhiel

Tarhiel

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 08:47 PM

Congrats on the release!  This is going to blow people's socks off.  :)

Already blowing my socks off, similarly to Volta and the Stone mission, and I just barely started :)

It is as if I am playing Thief2 FM, the way the level is layered out strongly reminds me of some good fan missions.

This seems to be a mission made with a lot of attention for the detail.

Damn, why do I have to get to work tomorrow? :D

• HMart and kingsal like this

#46 kingsal

kingsal

• PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 08:51 PM

updated to 1.02 - Apologies for the frequent updates if you have a game in progress.

- Fixed bug where people weren't able to open ancient door

- Ancient key is no longer removed from inventory

- Added impulses to water

- Adjust the lighting on mushrooms and added clusters of them in brighter areas

See the readme for a full-list

I kind of feel bad that we didn't do more structured tests. I focused mostly on technical stuff and show-stoppers, I didn't have more time for gameplay-related suggestions.

Naw, you guys did great.  Bugs are bound to slip through in a map this size. Its partly my fault- I had to expedite the beta/ release because of my work schedule in december.

• Anderson, Abusimplea and CarltonTroisi like this

#47 Silverflame3

Silverflame3

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 03:07 PM

Hey kingsal, a pleasure to play one of your maps, as always. :smile:

I must admit I thoroughly enjoyed this one, and certainly didn't expect the Volta series to turn in this direction.

As for the rest of my post, I'm afraid It'll have to go under spoilers, since I have a lot on my mind that might warrant such a tag.

Spoiler

Edited by Silverflame3, 04 December 2017 - 03:11 PM.

• Melan, Moonbo, kingsal and 1 other like this

#48 kingsal

kingsal

• PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 04:37 PM

Hey thanks Silverflame, A appreciate the review and I am really glad you dug the mission!

Spoiler

• Melan, Moonbo and Anderson like this

#49 Abusimplea

Abusimplea

• PipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 05:18 PM

Found some time to revisit the mission and shoot the promised screens.

In general, ramps and uneven terrain seem to attract the most bugs but modules featuring groups of stones could also profit from some clip. Would also recommend to avoid pitch black ambient lighting and fake water reflections.

• Anderson likes this

#50 Azaran

Azaran

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 03:11 PM

Amazing mission! I'm almost done, but ran into a possible bug.

Spoiler

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: volta, cauldron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users