Photo

Fan Mission: Volta II - Cauldron of the Gods by Kingsal (11/30/17)

volta cauldron

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#101 CountMorillonite

CountMorillonite

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:32 AM

It might be so. If you don't hear enhanced audio, like in the video below, then it doesn't work.

It will work in 2.06, regardless of your audio solution. Note that not many missions have EFX set up. You can open PK4 packages with programs like 7-Zip, if you see a folder named "efxs", then it supports enhanced audio.

It seems to be working fine because, when playing your video, the sound is awesome, with  reverb,echo, and ambient sounds crisp and fully textured. So I'm sure I'm getting the best audio I can. Thank you for your time.

I "may" try 2.06 sooner than later anyway, as the problem of not being able to pick up some loot items makes gameplay frustrating, and I'm assuming the fix for that will be incorporated into 2.06 

#102 Judith

Judith

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1186 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:38 AM

In the video it's pre-recorded, so eveyone will hear it. The question is whether you can hear it in-game. Both Volta 1 and 2 support EFX, so you can try them out.

#103 CountMorillonite

CountMorillonite

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 12:14 PM

Oopps, I should have realized that.

I've played Volta 1 & 2 and the audio from both of them I thought was excellent. I went back to verify and it seems to me to be comparable to your video attachment. So I'm at the same conclusion. If I'm wrong and sound quality can be improved, it doesn't really matter, as the upgrade to 2.06 will solve that itself. And once installed, I intend to replay these missions so i can complete the loot tally. Hopefully my saves will still work as a reference, but I'm not counting on it :)

#104 kingsal

kingsal

• PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 05:36 PM

Oopps, I should have realized that.

I've played Volta 1 & 2 and the audio from both of them I thought was excellent. I went back to verify and it seems to me to be comparable to your video attachment. So I'm at the same conclusion. If I'm wrong and sound quality can be improved, it doesn't really matter, as the upgrade to 2.06 will solve that itself. And once installed, I intend to replay these missions so i can complete the loot tally. Hopefully my saves will still work as a reference, but I'm not counting on it :)

Unfortunately, I don't think your saves will work in 2.06. Once the packages change, there isn't really an easy way to load older saves. 

FYI- In Volta II the reverb isn't immediately noticeable until you enter the sewers. At which point you'll get a hollow metal-ish reverb (as best as I can describe it). 

• Anderson likes this

#105 CountMorillonite

CountMorillonite

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 06:45 PM

I went into the sewers to check and believe I experienced the reverb you speak of. Mostly the sloshing around in the water. I don't think its necessary to install any special EAX software.

As regards to the saves....oh well. They are mostly Secret Locations and I like to have a reference in case I forget where one is on a future playthrough. If I lose my saves, then I'll just have to rediscover them. 

#106 Ladro

Ladro

• PipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:03 AM

Mission finished yesterday :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

What to say: I have no words. Kingsal, You really are an ARTIST!

This mission has the best Thief classic touch on TDM, I liked a lot exploring the world and the atmosphere created. Outstanding vision on gameplay and "architecture", but this beauty was all already present in the first "Volta" mission.

You really are an inspired and gifted guy :-D

Thanks!

• Tarhiel, Goldwell, Anderson and 1 other like this

#107 GEPGUN

GEPGUN

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 01:05 AM

Does anyone else find the

Spoiler
to be blackjack-proof when they are squatting down? I ended up quicksaving right before one was squatting down to pick up a weapon, but every blackjack attempt failed. Either it would hit his rear and not KO, or the blackjack would whiff right through him. The only way to get him was to wait until he would stand back up.

Edited by GEPGUN, 24 January 2018 - 01:06 AM.

#108 CountMorillonite

CountMorillonite

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:01 AM

I'm finding the blackjack to be flaky with all targets. But I haven't played the game long enough to be sure. So far, it seems to not work if the target is at any angle other than completely with his back to you. So you can't blackjack someone from the side, only 100% behind.

Also, many times using the blackjack while you're crouching doesn't work.

Leaning forward to knock someone out works sometimes, not others.

This could be because they are alerted and highly sensitive either to footsteps or the air disturbance while you swing.

I haven't had my blackjack go right through anyone harmlessly yet though.

This might all be related.

#109 kingsal

kingsal

• PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 12:25 PM

I have similar problems with the blackjack. I think in part its due to the animation on those guys, particularly the crouching animation. 

You should be able to blackjack within a certain cone behind them. However, if they are alerted its significantly harder. TDM also has tactile alert, so if you touch them at the last minute the blackjack might fail. 

• Tarhiel and Anderson like this

#110 GEPGUN

GEPGUN

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 11:20 PM

How do you get into the church?

#111 CountMorillonite

CountMorillonite

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 11:27 PM

Down in the sewers....one of the ladders leads up to the crypts. Look for some double doors in the crypts. They take you to the church.

#112 GEPGUN

GEPGUN

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 12:38 AM

I still cannot find this sewer ladder.

#113 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19754 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:12 AM

I still cannot find this sewer ladder.

The is a building at street level that you have to climb onto some barrels down a side alley...

#114 CountMorillonite

CountMorillonite

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 10:04 AM

I'm sorry for the confusion. I was playing a different mission (St Alban's Cathedral) when I responded to GEPGUN. With that on my brain, the directions I gave related to that mission, not Volta 2. Bikerdude must have been scratching his head over my "misdirections". 

#115 graybeard

graybeard

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 11:49 AM

Don't know if anyone else is having trouble understanding the statue's words;

Spoiler
- Could someone tell me what they are asking for-

The only one I can understand is the

Spoiler

#116 kingsal

kingsal

• PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 02:03 PM

How do you get into the church?

To get to the church:

Spoiler

Edited by kingsal, 25 January 2018 - 02:09 PM.

• Anderson likes this

#117 kingsal

kingsal

• PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 02:08 PM

Don't know if anyone else is having trouble understanding the statue's words;

Spoiler
- Could someone tell me what they are asking for-

The only one I can understand is the

Spoiler

The statues say (in short):

Spoiler

• Thiefette and Anderson like this

#118 GEPGUN

GEPGUN

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 04:26 PM

Alright, I got it. I had been through that area from the cave many times, but I could never find the key. I only noticed the skeleton from the roof of the entrance, and I could only notice that you could even climb up to the roof after turning the gamma way the hell up.

Another question:

Does the difficulty setting affect the number of enemies in the mission?

Also is the house with the attic and the moon-window of any significance?

Edited by GEPGUN, 25 January 2018 - 09:48 PM.

#119 kingsal

kingsal

• PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 02:10 AM

Alright, I got it. I had been through that area from the cave many times, but I could never find the key. I only noticed the skeleton from the roof of the entrance, and I could only notice that you could even climb up to the roof after turning the gamma way the hell up.

Another question:

Does the difficulty setting affect the number of enemies in the mission?

Also is the house with the attic and the moon-window of any significance?

Spoiler

• Anderson likes this

#120 GEPGUN

GEPGUN

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 01:24 AM

After two completions of this mission, first on Expert, and then on Normal here is a spoiler heavy review:

Spoiler

#121 kingsal

kingsal

• PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 08:18 AM

You might want to play tdm missions above a gamma setting of 0.6. By comparison I play between 0.8 and 1.0. Its different for everyone, but it shouldn't be pitch black. That would make an expert play though probably 10 times more infuriating.

Thanks for the suggestions, Ill take a look at some of those problems. However, I wont be making any major changes to mission at this time.

edit: Ha, I tried adding some torches in the church area:

Spoiler

Edited by kingsal, 27 January 2018 - 09:57 AM.

• Anderson likes this

#122 Shaz

Shaz

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:47 AM

This is a fantastic mission, Kingsal, thank you!  1667 in loot, and it wasn't until I was done that I realized I never searched for what those Ancient Keys unlock. Ah well, something to find next time I play!

One of the secrets nearly tricked me. 

Spoiler

Again, thank you. I've greatly enjoyed both of your Volta missions!

And for ridiculous niggling detail, even though you may never need to patch this mission again, I found a... typo, I guess? If you happen to knock out the guard in the city at the very beginning (please don't judge, it's instinctual), his body is labeled "Unconscience Guard" or something very similar.  Unless it's on purpose. To make my conscience guilty over blackjacking a non-hostile. Or it's possibly correct in another language. I don't know, I just wanted to mention it!

• Anderson likes this

#123 CrisiusXIII

CrisiusXIII

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 04:02 AM

Hello,

i am new here and its big fun to play Thief again, thanks.

i had a few "trough the wall" moments at severall adventures and eg a sword trough the door etc.

but actualy with Volta 2 i had a total "drop trough wall in black hole and see play ground dissapear" moment.

which i saved ... if you want me to upload/make a download available, no problem, its a 5 mb file.

maybe you can "walkback" in edit mode

There is a big change my setup is not complete.

i have a 64 bit, with opensuse 42.2, xfce

Edited by CrisiusXIII, 19 March 2018 - 04:04 AM.

#124 CrisiusXIII

CrisiusXIII

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 08:11 AM

HI,

i have some screenshots

cauldron_v1_2_2018-03-19_13.59.34.jpg

cauldron_v1_2_2018-03-19_13.59.37.jpg

cauldron_v1_2_2018-03-19_13.59.51.jpg

#125 AluminumHaste

AluminumHaste

Darkmod Contributor

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6119 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 08:15 AM

Well, on some larger maps, once you get to the extents, precision loss can sometimes manifest itself as going through walls and weird glitches.

Can you post a screenshot of the area you fell through?

If you're still falling, open the console with CTRL+ALT+~ and type noclip

That will allow you to fly back up to the map.

Once you're back in the map, open the console again and type noclip to get back into normal mode.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: volta, cauldron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users