music recommendations

8 replies to this topic

#1 Judith

Judith

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1425 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:22 AM

I didn't find similar topic, and I thought this might be interesting. I always need something playing in the background to stimulate me in some way. So, what do you listen to while mapping, modeling, coding, or any other TDM-related stuff?

I don't want to dump all my stuff on you at once, so I'll start with three albums I listen to lately. This will be mostly electronic/ambient music:

I've heard the game is average, but the OST is superb.

Another similar case, as DX:IW was a bit of a disappointment, but the OST has become a cult classic for me, and I spent many hours with it playing on repeat while I was modeling things.

And something I found just two days ago. Very classic ambient vibes, loved it instantly. And I'm pretty sure these guys know System Shock 2, I'm sure you'll hear why :)

• Anderson likes this

#2 freyk

freyk

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 07:42 AM

My working-backgroundmusic i like, you will find in this post.

Also game ambient sounds will work too:

Edited by freyk, 18 December 2017 - 07:48 AM.

• Bikerdude, Goldwell, Anderson and 1 other like this

#3 Judith

Judith

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1425 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:13 AM

T: DS soundtrack is obviously excellent, although it has a strong horror vibe, and I find it a bit too distracting to listen while modeling or texturing. It gets really tense at times ;) I've spent many hours mapping with DX:HR in the background though, another good choice. Also, we should probably post links to whole albums, as you don't want to switch tracks every 5 minutes or so while doing something.

Edited by Judith, 18 December 2017 - 09:15 AM.

• Anderson likes this

#4 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12634 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:17 AM

POPULAR

I primarily listen to environmental music I find on Youtube. Games, movies, etc.

Next is a large collection of proprietary background music I got from my son, who creates movie trailers in Los Angeles.

Next is my own music collection, ~300 artists, which I've put together over the years. Listening to that depends on whether I can deal with lyrics or not, depending on what I'm doing.

• Bikerdude, Judith, jaxa and 3 others like this

#5 stumpy

stumpy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1824 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:49 AM

tv's on a music channel, one that actually plays music and not comedy shows/documentaries.

#6 Obsttorte

Obsttorte

Scripting guru, Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5653 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 03:17 PM

I rarely listen to music while mapping, as I find it distracting most of the time (I'm not the multi-tasking guy). But when I do I prefer ambient music as well. This one is pretty good imho

TDS soundtrack: http://www.moddb.com...dows-soundtrack

T1/T2 Soundtrack: http://www.ttlg.com/...ad.php?t=145018

The Thief 4 Soundtrack can actually be bought at amazon for example. Never understood why someone should pay for music he listens to when playing the game all the time :blink:

• Xarg and Anderson like this
FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild
WIP's: Several. Although after playing Thief 4 I really wanna make a city mission.
Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches
Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models
My wiki articles: Obstipedia
Let's Map TDM YouTube playlist: ObstlerTube
Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

End of shameless self promotion.

#7 ERH+

ERH+

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 04:20 PM

Although someone's music-modelling associations are interesting I guess it will be too dependent on e.g. nostalgia to make it "useful" for others - what matter is if it make you want to work. I can listen to any kind of music - one song looped for an hour, without being bored or tired. I need a trance so my thoughts and feelings go in parallel to each other and everything that will straighten them will fit the purpose. But for the sake of subject:

Ufo:Aftershock - enjoyed both game and music:

Oblivion - TES4 have one of the best soundtracks, but I'm talking about the movie:

any more or less melodic electronic music.

Tangerine Dream - Stratosfear - I used to listen to this while reading Moomins when I was maybe 10 :D .

TD - Miracle Mile. Those bits are like soundtrack to my memories.

TD - Rubycon. Full submergence.

https://www.youtube....v=tmpxXq3Gx9w

https://www.youtube....v=ftckgVqc04E

Edited by ERH+, 18 December 2017 - 04:29 PM.

• CarltonTroisi likes this

S2wtMNl.gif

#8 jaxa

jaxa

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1322 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 08:57 PM

Thief 2 soundtrack as compiled by Child of Karras.

I'd say the Morrowind soundtrack beats Oblivion (as in TES IV). Morrowind had the right mix ( watch?v=zaeO0zitvy0 ) of high and low energy moments, while Oblivion was a little too relaxed.

Streets of Simcity soundtrack is pretty good, divided into 4 "genres". Unfortunately they sound fuzzy due to the 22.05 kHz sampling rate:

Jazzy SimCity 3000 soundtrack:

Age of Empires 2 + Conquerors soundtrack (doesn't include some tracks from the three new expansions):

Cossacks:

I don't think I've listened to the full SpaceEngine soundtrack (nearly 4 hours long) but there you have it:

Death Grips instrumentals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9E36txI0-M

Diablo 2 (Act 3 is best):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP9NZPAX_dA

I also suggest looking up music livestreams on YouTube. The "lofi hiphop" type ones are pretty good and won't be distracting. Plus the streams just keep on going forever.

Edited by jaxa, 20 December 2017 - 11:38 AM.

• Anderson likes this

#9 Anderson

Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1048 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 01:45 PM

• Melan likes this

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: music, recommendations

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users