55 replies to this topic

#51 OrbWeaver

OrbWeaver

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7527 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 06:55 AM

I've also seen something like that where the particle in DR particle editor doesn't behave exactly like it does in game, but i always assumed it was just like the 3D window, it also doesn't render stuff like the game does.

Highly likely, since AFAIK the particle renderer in DR was written from scratch by Greebo based on observation of the particle behaviour, and does not share any of the code with the in-game renderer.

I suppose now that the game is fully open-source there is potential for reusing the actual code to ensure that both renderers behave the same, but I don't know how easy it would actually be to integrate such third-party code which isn't necessarily designed with reusability in mind.

• Dram and Judith like this

#52 Dram

Dram

Disco Inferno

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7462 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 07:49 AM

I suppose now that the game is fully open-source there is potential for reusing the actual code to ensure that both renderers behave the same, but I don't know how easy it would actually be to integrate such third-party code which isn't necessarily designed with reusability in mind.

I imagine this would be a big task, as even file handling may largely differ, could turn into a Pandora's box. But, if we could and it was not something that would take years of free time, then it would certainly be worth it. In the past I used to do editing primarily in DoomEdit, and the only reason was lighting. With the renderers displaying the information differently, it can be quite difficult to perfectly get the lighting as one envisions it. Still possible, just more difficult.

I use DarkRadiant exclusively now, as it encompasses everything we need in TDM, so it is a top AAA job!

• Bikerdude likes this

#53 Judith

Judith

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1729 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:09 AM

It would be awesome for DR to actually use TDM renderer, but I too thought it would be way too much work. Especially correct lighting, fog, and particle preview would help a lot. That said, I have sort of workaround for fog light bug: I just copy it and delete it for light placement phase, so lights in DR show up correctly. When I finish placing and adjusting lights, I use Paste to get my fog back, and then tweak things using the game itself.

Edited by Judith, 18 April 2018 - 08:10 AM.

#54 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20281 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 09:35 AM

It would be awesome for DR to actually use TDM renderer

What about running TDM inside the camera view or is that pretty much the same thing?

#55 Judith

Judith

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1729 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 09:38 AM

Yup, TDM updated in real time with what you do in DR, but with game time stopped.

#56 OrbWeaver

OrbWeaver

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7527 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:10 AM

Sorry, I should have been more clear.

I meant there might be potential for re-using the particle code from the game engine, related to things like orienting and sizing the particle quads, generating the random numbers etc.

Actually porting the full renderer from the game, including lighting and shadows, would be prohibitively difficult. I imagine that it would be probably as much effort as re-writing the DR renderer from scratch to support the same features,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users