Alien Isolation

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 bobrpggamer

bobrpggamer

• PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 05:52 PM

I have been playing this for a couple of frustrating days and the worst part I hope is over, the alien which is always there no matter how you try to avoid it - it will kill you again and again.

Now this would be lame to start a topic for its gamplay I realize, but it has an engine almost exactly like IDs OpenGl engine that would be very well known here. It is almost identical to the Doom 3 engine at first glance and the one thing that tipped me off was the refraction in the glass and the gaseous  vapors that exist in areas.

The only thing I notice when I was not trying to find a way around that damn alien bastard ("Alien" and not "Aliens" is one of my favorite Sci-Fi / Horror movies although everyone swears Aliens is better but is a matter of opinion) is the lighting and of course the advanced rendering, this one supposedly caters to AMD, but my GTX 1080 see's no stuttering at all, which again reminds me of IDs famous (to me) optimized OpenGl engines.

#2 stumpy

stumpy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1716 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:58 PM

http://avp.wikia.com.../CATHODE_Engine

#3 bobrpggamer

bobrpggamer

• PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 09:24 AM

I am not a person to pick apart engines in a game and or their tech. Its just the similarities are amazing to me from ID tech 4 game engine in 2004, has a similar look to the "Cathode Engine" in 2014. ID has always used OpenGl for their games when DirectX 10 cane out ID still used OpenGl I believe even Rage may have used OpenGl.

Otherwise they look similar.

Edited by bobrpggamer, 19 January 2018 - 09:24 AM.

#4 Darkness_Falls

Darkness_Falls

Concept Artist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:35 PM

I liked this game for a while, but...

Spoiler

On another note, I heard the new God of War won't have *any* jumping in it. Whaaa?? Did they use Thief 4 as inspiration on the direction games should go in terms of player movement? :( Wow... 

https://segmentnext....ton-god-of-war/

• Petike the Taffer likes this

#5 Epifire

Epifire

• Active Developer
  • PipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 11:50 PM

Honestly I found the game to be really engaging and fun as long as the stealth isn't overthought (weird I know cause you're supposed to be sneaky). Also playing on max difficulty is dumb imo, because the Alien itself just comes stomping back in every 20 seconds (no seriously I actually counted). But one step below max feels right for the game's actual pacing to realism ratio. All I can say is walk don't run. Lockers are actually fairly retarded in the game because the Alien just gets pickier and the AI sorta adapts it's strat to your slower progress. If you keep moving pretty brisk (walking mind you) it's actually fairly easy to outsmart the Alien's adaptive traits. I can't remember exactly now but the numbers in the corner on the motion tracker (as some steam guides will tell you) are fairly literal to your present level of danger. I took that line of thinking to heart and whenever my numbers were in the green I made a slow and steady dash for the next hiding spot. Keeping that always on the move ideology in mind really seems like the only way to succeed at the game.

If you're not too far along yet don't read this spoiler but if you just don't care...

Spoiler

Even though I never quite got the nerve to finish the game I found Alien Isolation to be a really fresh perspective in the stealth horror genre. I specifically loved how much attention the devs payed to keeping in line with the first film's art direction. A literal step they took was if it couldn't be done by 1979 special effect standards then it shouldn't be shipped in the game. That being said there are a bit of fun animated sequences that I still enjoyed as long as I didn't have to replay the same segment a bunch. I'd say it's definitely a personal taste bit on the animations department because I absolutely loved the keycard savegame terminals. All in all it was my fav game of that year's releases by far. Just kind of a dynamic element I hadn't really seen in other games prior to that.

You need a model? Epi does you a model.

Toss me a PM I promise I don't bite.

#6 Darkness_Falls

Darkness_Falls

Concept Artist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 12:08 AM

Epifire, I wonder how much more game you have left to play?

Spoiler
The graphics were pretty cool, for sure

#7 Epifire

Epifire

• Active Developer
  • PipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 03:51 AM

Epifire, I wonder how much more game you have left to play?

Spoiler
The graphics were pretty cool, for sure

Honestly I'm pretty sure I was getting down to the end.

Spoiler

You need a model? Epi does you a model.

Toss me a PM I promise I don't bite.

#8 HMart

HMart

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 10:48 AM

I am not a person to pick apart engines in a game and or their tech. Its just the similarities are amazing to me from ID tech 4 game engine in 2004, has a similar look to the "Cathode Engine" in 2014. ID has always used OpenGl for their games when DirectX 10 cane out ID still used OpenGl I believe even Rage may have used OpenGl.

Otherwise they look similar.

All idSofware engines and games use OpenGL even idTech 6 (minus Wolfenstein 2009 that uses a D3D dx9 render in its single player but was not made by idSoftware), the diference now is that they also support Vulkan, but culturally is the same, idSofware always wanted to support open standards and both OpenGL and Vulkan are open standards, lets hope they will continue doing so.

About the games may look similar to you but the underlying tech couldn't be more different, idtech 4 and Cathode engine are generations apart and even use different rendering and shading paradigms, idtech 4 is a OpenGL forward rendering engine using "old" style shaders, cathode is a D3D Dx11 deferred rendering engine using modern PBR shading, plus other diferences. Only the art style and game type can imo really be said to be similar to Doom 3, Horror FPS on a futuristic industrial setting (Alien Isolation has no real gun combat tho).      

Edited by HMart, 20 January 2018 - 10:49 AM.

• CarltonTroisi likes this

#9 bobrpggamer

bobrpggamer

• PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 06:54 PM

OK I just finished and I don't think this is a spoiler so I believe it to be a lot like Thief 4. I am sure we all know about the games that had console versions to be considered first and this and thief 4 were chalk-full of it, but  I did find Alien Isolation to be worse at times. I also played the game at normal difficulty so that would be a consideration in my views I guess.

Spoiler

But as said the graphics are nice, and really reminded me of System Shock 2 - the level design anyway - but with way more detail and shader effects. Back then the polygon count was an issue to keep it optimized, last play of Thief 1, the guards looked like they were about 10 ploy's.

Edited by bobrpggamer, 21 January 2018 - 07:37 PM.

#10 V-Man339

V-Man339

Perfectionist Taffer

• PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:04 AM

May this be of use to you if you need it.

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.
Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

#11 Judith

Judith

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 05:15 AM

OK I just finished and I don't think this is a spoiler so I believe it to be a lot like Thief 4.

Haahahahahaha... No. A: I is much, much better game than Thief 4. I finished it on hard, and it was very well designed, and felt meaningful for what it wanted to do. And yes, as most AAA games it was designed with controller in mind, and that's how I played it. One thing I didn't like was the pacing towards the end. I think the game was too long. Seems like devs were so in love with their Alien that they prolonged the last section by a few hours, just to give players more content.

Edited by Judith, 22 January 2018 - 05:26 AM.

#12 bobrpggamer

bobrpggamer

• PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:42 AM

Haahahahahaha... No. A: I is much, much better game than Thief 4. I finished it on hard, and it was very well designed, and felt meaningful for what it wanted to do. And yes, as most AAA games it was designed with controller in mind, and that's how I played it. One thing I didn't like was the pacing towards the end. I think the game was too long. Seems like devs were so in love with their Alien that they prolonged the last section by a few hours, just to give players more content.

One thing I didn't like was the pacing towards the end. I think the game was too long. Seems like devs were so in love with their Alien that they prolonged the last section by a few hours, just to give players more content.

You can say that again.

Spoiler

I am not trying to discredit the game it's just my opinion and the game has far greater aspects to it to weigh in the god to bad I would say 3 good 1 bad, if this would matter.

Also Judith, the comment I made about Thief 4 was about the console reminisce and the constant odd keyboard and mouse controls.

So a dummy like myself to review this game I would give it 65 out of 100 - this is due to frustration in "some" of the game play aspects (mainly keyboard and mouse controls, but also a feeling of impossibility to finish the game), that tried my patience  for far too long

Edited by bobrpggamer, 22 January 2018 - 09:58 AM.

#13 Judith

Judith

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:48 AM

In general it just seemed impossible at times and no hope at all to finish it.

But that was kind of the point. You were an engineer, not some bloody Isaac Clarke. Alien was the cat, you were the mouse. Both humans and synthetics had shitty attitude towards you. Gunplay was supposed to be messy. And everything you managed to repair was just a glimmer of hope before another thing got broken, or situation went even more downhill. That was brillianty executed, along with all interface elements. Even stuff like saving added to tension. Comparing this to a cripple of a game that is Thief 4 is insane. A:I is 10x above T4 in terms of quality of... everything.

#14 bobrpggamer

bobrpggamer

• PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 10:35 AM

But that was kind of the point. You were an engineer, not some bloody Isaac Clarke. Alien was the cat, you were the mouse. Both humans and synthetics had shitty attitude towards you. Gunplay was supposed to be messy. And everything you managed to repair was just a glimmer of hope before another thing got broken, or situation went even more downhill. That was brillianty executed, along with all interface elements. Even stuff like saving added to tension. Comparing this to a cripple of a game that is Thief 4 is insane. A:I is 10x above T4 in terms of quality of... everything.

Judith "controls" "and "the last part of the game" is my main gripe. Imagine having the same controls in any Thief before 4, You had to be quick in Thief games you have simple controls that did not impact gameplay  for me at all, whereas in Alien Isolation the controls did impair the game for me. Imagine in Thief 2 you had to hold down the right mouse button and press E and then Q then press the left button once to open a door. This is all console crap, I am sorry for this but it really pisses me off. I am also new to the not being able to fight back games so the impossibility of it just got tedious. When I go in to Amnesia I know I am completely vulnerable and I will be prepared.

Please forget my Thief 4 comment, it was based on the controls only.

Spoiler

I think a key aspect my opinion is that not a second of actual fear or scare came when that green beast killed me, I have had 3 decades of real trauma in my own life so it just got irritating for me.

just a question would I be better of with Mass Effect 1 or Dead Space 1 for my next game, or play some old DOS or Amiga RPG's.

Edited by bobrpggamer, 22 January 2018 - 01:41 PM.

#15 bobrpggamer

bobrpggamer

• PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 07:07 PM

May this be of use to you if you need it.

OK good walk through I did not need it, but then again I played on normal. I did want to know where to go and what to do next at certain frustrating times.

My advice would be to not use this walk through as much as possible and please play on normal your first time in, this was one of the hardest most frustrating game I can remember, and at times felt impossible. i just finished it so it is in my mind and I am sure I have played harder games but I do not remember.

This guy in the second episode does seem to know exactly where to go and what to do, so probably not his first run.

The 4 guys in the plaza shot at me so many times, at every angle no matter where I was, even running they hit me every single time they fired their gun with godlike aim  that I made sure I killed them all with the maintenance jack. Not a good thing but I could not help myself.

Typos, they are embarrassing.

Edited by bobrpggamer, 22 January 2018 - 11:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users