Can some Dark Radiant expert help me?

dark radiant readables

4 replies to this topic

#1 Typhon

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 10:11 AM

Hey everyone,

I'm in the process of learning how to use the Dark Radiant editor. I'm creating a "test mission" for myself, I already built my map with all the models, entities, the objectives I set are working perfectly, there is only one thing I can't tackle: Readables. I don't know why, but when I put down a readable prefab on my map, edit it in the Readable Editor, and try to save it, I get the following error: "You have imported an XData definition that is contained in a PK4, which can't be accessed for saving. - Please rename your XData definition, so that it is stored under a different filename."

And when I rename my XData name, I get the following error: "Mod path not defined. Using base path."

Everything so far is crystal clear with Dark Radiant, but I seriously can't understand this whole thing about xd files, XDatas, and stuff. Can anyone help me with this?

• Bikerdude likes this

#2 Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19458 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 10:57 AM

The xdata files are what in-game readables use, you edit the xdata file (in notepad or notepad++)
to change the contents of the readable.

With the latest version of DR you dont need to edit the xdata files directly, you can use the readable editor, select a readable in the ortho view(large window to the right in DR) and then go to main menu>entity>readable editor

#3 Destined

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1393 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 11:16 AM

If your modpat his not defined, you have not set up DarkRadiant correctly. As a consequence, DR dow not know where to put your XData file. Refer to the "Folder Structure" section of the biginners guide.

Edited by Destined, 23 February 2018 - 11:16 AM.

#4 Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 36845 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 04:53 PM

This might be useful:  https://youtu.be/rMfDN_m-S8g?t=16m50s

And possibly this:  https://youtu.be/sz5u398AgP4?t=1m53s

#5 Typhon

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 03:11 AM

Thank you guys, problem solved! :D