The Dark Mod Forums

how configure android apps?

Fidcal

Mmm... well it behaves exactly as if they are still running. I have Firefox set to NOT remember my open tabs after quitting. If I open another program then return to Firefox via the 'recent apps' icon then the tabs are open exactly as before and even the web page position. If, however, I close Firefox on the 'recent apps' popup (it does say 'close all' at the bottom not 'remove' or 'hide') then run Firefox again (don't know any other way to run it but to click on its icon) then it starts up at the home page.

Hang on. Just remembered there's a list of running programs in App Manager - yes, they're all running.

Actually, i wouldn't swear on it, i could be wrong. I was under the impression that apps exit at some point anyway though, regardless of clearing the app history or not. And, i think they still showed up there then, even though they were closed.

Check the first answer here: https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/32697/what-is-the-offical-name-of-the-third-on-screen-button

It's called Overview button. I originally came to know about this from the Screen Pinning settings' description.

Google on Get around on your device (see Get around with navigation buttons) has noted:

Overview: Opens a list of thumbnail images of apps and Chrome tabs you’ve worked with recently. To open an app, touch it. To remove a thumbnail from the list, swipe it left or right.

It says it opens a "list of apps you've worked with recently". I think (not know) that it shows the recently opened apps, regardless of whether they're still opened in the background or not. Not like a task manager, rather like the list of recently opened programs in Windows e.g.

Edited by chakkman

Hang on. Just remembered there's a list of running programs in App Manager - yes, they're all running.

Thats how android works Im afraid, if we were to upgrade to a custom rom based on a newer version of android you would have a built in battery/app management app. But for now some alternative that dont requit root are -

Edited by Bikerdude

The impression I'm getting is that android manages memory by leaving apps running but removing the oldest accessed (by the user) as more memory space [edit: or processing power or other resources] is needed. Whether they remain on the 'recent apps' popup after being closed down I don't know without testing. The title 'recent apps' suggests they're NOT removed, otherwise it could be called 'open apps', so the popup might include apps the system has closed down.

So, suppose you run say, a simple stopwatch program which is counting up. You set it going then use the 'back/esc button' to go and launch other apps, when you go back is the stopwatch still counting time correctly? And what if the system shuts it down? Then there's alarm clocks and reminder systems. Maybe they set a system variable 'don't close me down without user permission'?

Incidentally, my old Thief boxed set box lid is the perfect size to make a support stand for my Galaxy E tab. I laid a thick book in there and wedged the tab (horizontally but with screen rotated around so the power switch is at the top) at the front. I can see the time but the date is obscured by the front side of the lid. I'm waiting a while before cutting down that front size. Hate to deface my historic Thief lid without good reason. ;)