Building feedback request

7 replies to this topic

#1 R Soul

R Soul

• PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 03:59 PM

Hi all.

I've had a few goes at building (mainly streets) but after coming up with very basic and small sections, I find myself reluctant to go further in case I've made some fundamental design error that's going to make things very hard later on. E.g. I know that visportals are essential, and that we can seal outside areas using PortalSky brushes, but do I really understand them?

With previous building attempts, I've used one huge set of PotalSky brushes to allow me to make brush changes without the hassle of inadvertently creating leaks, but it's occurred to me that I may then end up with architecture that makes it very hard to create more localised sealing and good visportals.

For my current attempt I've tried to keep things tighter - sealing areas locally and making visportals rather than just thinking about adding them later. Adding a new street is more of a hassle because keep creating leaks, but I'd be interested to know if that's preferable, for a noob, to leaving it to the end when it may prove impossible.

Please see this attachment for my very small set of streets:

Attached File  tut.txt   168.71KB   30 downloads

I've be interested to know if it seems like I have the right idea with visportals and PoralSky brushes. To me the latter look a bit messy, but it might be the only way when there are buildings with multiple heights (and I'd like to add pointed rooftops eventually). I'd also be interested to know if the street layout looks okay to work with, e.g. do you see any problems with adding more detail, and interiors for some buildings?

Edited by R Soul, 03 March 2018 - 04:18 PM.

#2 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20178 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 04:54 PM

have a look now fella.

#3 teh_saccade

teh_saccade

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 05:20 PM

For anyone else reading this who doesn't know - the tut.txt extension was originally .pk4.

Spoiler

#4 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20178 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 05:34 PM

I did a little tut vid for you fella, give it a few mins to upload and process -

• Abusimplea and Bienie like this

#5 R Soul

R Soul

• PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 07:23 PM

Many thanks for the advice Bikerdude, and I appreciate the effort of making a video. I've made some changes which anyone interested in can view here:

Attached File  tut.txt   204.37KB   57 downloads

(pk4/zip file)

I've doubled some of the visportals as Springheel suggests in this New Mappers Workshop video: https://youtu.be/RmKjmt7IJr8?t=389. If we don't have a name for that arrangement, I suggest "airlocks" because of how close they are to each other.

• Bikerdude likes this

#6 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20178 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 07:59 AM

Many thanks for the advice Bikerdude, and I appreciate the effort of making a video. I've made some changes which anyone interested in can view here:

attachicon.gif tut.txt

Having a look now.

#7 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20178 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 08:21 AM

Having a look now.

https://youtu.be/ovPU-DKDU-Y

#8 R Soul

R Soul

• PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 07:15 PM

Thanks again Bikerdude. Your feedback is most appreciated, which is why, between 5:55 and 14:20, I was willing you to spot that you'd filtered out clip textures. The brushes in that area aren't new, but I extended two of the buildings to make the street less wide.

I fixed the error near the start of the map, and removed the 'overkill' visportal. The big diagonal VP actually is sealing, but you put the camera inside of of the brushes (the one with the brown blocks)

seal1.jpg

My reasoning for that angle was to hide what could be seen from the other end of the nearby tunnel:

tunnel_vp1.jpg

Even as the player gets to the end, the VP is still closed:

tunnel_vp2.jpg

I'll try out your alternative suggestion for that area to see what it's like. It may end up being about the same in terms of visible area.

On the subject of reducing the thickness of visportals and blocking caulk brushes, is that just because it's easier to see through them to the other brushes, or is there some other reason?

I also appreciate your offer to make the modified map available, but I think it's best to work on these brushes myself. It gives me a better feel for what's going on.

Thanks again.

Edited by R Soul, 05 March 2018 - 07:19 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users