Photo

Fan Mission: Shadows of Northdale ACT I by Goldwell (2018/03/23)

shadows of northdale

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#26 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2403 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 03:07 PM

Yep, same here. The city hub made a great addition to the mission, reminded me a lot of TDS, some of the architecture, and Corbin's home did as well. The mission layout was just great, with many twists and turns, and then you ended up where you've been before, which is good. I also liked that the mission isn't as linear, and you can go where you want, and do the objectives you like to do first. The mission is also on the easier side, which i liked, as i mentioned elsewhere, i find most missions too difficult. 

The performance issues i described above where gone when i booted TDM up another time. I really don't know why i sometimes have big lags, and sometimes all is running fluently. There's two small issues i noticed in the mission, one might be by design:

Spoiler

Anyway, excellent mission, and i really had a lot of fun playing it through. Looking forward to the other missions of the campaign. :)

Thanks for playing!

I noticed that there is a very strange bug with performance in TDM and the only way I found to diagnose it is by running the game and making sure the menu has a constant 60fps, if it sits at around 30-40 fps then just keep closing TDM and reopening it until you get that constant 60 fps. That bug has actually been fixed in 2.06 however so it shouldn't be an issue for much longer.

In terms of your spoilers, getting stuck shouldn't have happened.. the other should have happened though ;)

I'm currently working on the second mission which shouldn't be too far off as it's mostly already built, I just have to do a few detail passes and then begin testing on it.

• chakkman and Tarhiel like this

The Accountant
Part 1: Thieves and Heirs | Part 2: New In town

Shadows of Northdale Campaign

ACT I

Stand Alone Missions
Lord Edgar's Bathhouse | Spring Cleaning

#27 Judith

Judith

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1296 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 03:09 PM

IMO things like that are worth investigating, e.g. this view looks simple, but there is more rendered than player actually sees.

obraz.png

In this case it's still below the DC limit, so the framerate doesn't go down, but it's worth watching, as low fps would make those climbing sections harder for players (as in any case of more "arcade" activities).

#28 chakkman

chakkman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 03:17 PM

I noticed that there is a very strange bug with performance in TDM and the only way I found to diagnose it is by running the game and making sure the menu has a constant 60fps, if it sits at around 30-40 fps then just keep closing TDM and reopening it until you get that constant 60 fps. That bug has actually been fixed in 2.06 however so it shouldn't be an issue for much longer.

That's good to know, thanks for the heads up.

In terms of your spoilers, getting stuck shouldn't have happened.. the other should have happened though ;)

Ah, thought so. :)

Spoiler

#29 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2403 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 03:18 PM

That's good to know, thanks for the heads up.
Ah, thought so. :)

Spoiler

Spoiler

Thanks!

The Accountant

ACT I

Stand Alone Missions

#30 Premier

Premier

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:03 PM

A lovely mission, congratulations, Goldwell!

I've just finished it, but will have to go back to a save and play more, because I'm missing several secrets and some 3,000 loot...

I have a couple of questions:

Spoiler

#31 Atomica

Atomica

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:05 PM

Regarding the frame rate being set lowish on random runs of TDM, I've actually noticed this in Linux but never in Windows. Maybe if it's been fixed in 2.06 it'll solve the issue in Linux as well, where the problem (for me anyway) seems to be more prominent.

In any case, looking forward to this one!

Edited by Atomica, 24 March 2018 - 07:09 PM.

• Tarhiel, Goldwell and Peanut like this

Oh my God! JC! A bomb!

#32 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2403 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:09 PM

A lovely mission, congratulations, Goldwell!

I've just finished it, but will have to go back to a save and play more, because I'm missing several secrets and some 3,000 loot...

I have a couple of questions:

Spoiler

Glad you enjoyed it!

Spoiler

Hope that helps to clarify things :)

The Accountant

ACT I

Stand Alone Missions

#33 chakkman

chakkman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:35 PM

Another question:

Spoiler

#34 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2403 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:38 PM

Another question:

Spoiler

Spoiler

• chakkman likes this

The Accountant

ACT I

Stand Alone Missions

#35 JackFarmer

JackFarmer

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 04:08 AM

Hello Goldwell,

Thank you very much for this mission. Very thiefish and very doomy, great work! 

If you go on like that, I will burn your work on a DVD, put a label on it with appropriate artwork, and then I will display it on my video games shelf with other heroic performances!

I have fnished the prologue last night (it needed that special atmosphere) and I have one question:

Spoiler

Have a nice Sunday!

#36 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2403 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 07:11 AM

Hello Goldwell,

Thank you very much for this mission. Very thiefish and very doomy, great work! 

If you go on like that, I will burn your work on a DVD, put a label on it with appropriate artwork, and then I will display it on my video games shelf with other heroic performances!

I have fnished the prologue last night (it needed that special atmosphere) and I have one question:

Spoiler

Have a nice Sunday!

Hey JackFarmer,

Thanks for playing! That's a very kind compliment too :)

As for the question

Spoiler

The Accountant

ACT I

Stand Alone Missions

#37 Premier

Premier

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 04:04 PM

Spoiler

Hope that helps to clarify things :)

I have to ask for some more help with this specific part. I'm standing exactly on the balcony. It's the place with signs of struggle, and Corbus says something like "this must be Wiverton's balcony" the first time I get there. You're saying I should, I quote:

Spoiler

However, I cannot see ANY rope-able surfaces here anywhere within straight line of sight from the balcony! The closest rope-able thing is the wooden balcony to the door mentioned before, but that's the wrong side of the door. Where exactly am I supposed to shoot the rope arrow?

Edited by Premier, 25 March 2018 - 04:05 PM.

#38 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2403 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 04:10 PM

I have to ask for some more help with this specific part. I'm standing exactly on the balcony. It's the place with signs of struggle, and Corbus says something like "this must be Wiverton's balcony" the first time I get there. You're saying I should, I quote:

Spoiler

However, I cannot see ANY rope-able surfaces here anywhere within straight line of sight from the balcony! The closest rope-able thing is the wooden balcony to the door mentioned before, but that's the wrong side of the door. Where exactly am I supposed to shoot the rope arrow?

Spoiler

The Accountant

ACT I

Stand Alone Missions

#39 Atomica

Atomica

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 05:18 PM

Well, I finished it. As with others it looks like I missed a ton of loot, but I put that down to how the map is designed (including the 1500 put into the safe), so it didn't bother me that much. Got 4 out of 7 secrets as well, which was nice. As with Premier though, I needed that little bit of help finding the window outside the balcony. Rather sneaky design in some ways, because once I knew where to look it's pretty damn obvious it's an actual window and not decorative, but I just didn't notice it until pointed out.

Anyways, great mission overall. It's the kinda of mission that shows what a TDM veteran (and a group of dedicated helpers) can do.

Edited by Atomica, 25 March 2018 - 05:19 PM.

Oh my God! JC! A bomb!

#40 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2403 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 05:23 PM

Well, I finished it. As with others it looks like I missed a ton of loot, but I put that down to how the map is designed (including the 1500 put into the safe), so it didn't bother me that much. Got 4 out of 7 secrets as well, which was nice. As with Premier though, I needed that little bit of help finding the window outside the balcony. Rather sneaky design in some ways, because once I knew where to look it's pretty damn obvious it's an actual window and not decorative, but I just didn't notice it until pointed out.

Anyways, great mission overall. It's the kinda of mission that shows what a TDM veteran (and a group of dedicated helpers) can do.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Spoiler

The Accountant

ACT I

Stand Alone Missions

#41 Abusimplea

Abusimplea

• PipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 11:49 PM

Wow, this is a fresh mission with lots of verticality (sometimes i reached the end of the world though) and traditionall handmade geometry. I feeled the love that you put into the mission.

Spoiler

Had lots of fun playing it on hardest.

#42 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2403 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 03:33 AM

Wow, this is a fresh mission with lots of verticality (sometimes i reached the end of the world though) and traditionall handmade geometry. I feeled the love that you put into the mission.

Spoiler

Had lots of fun playing it on hardest.

Spoiler

The Accountant

ACT I

Stand Alone Missions

#43 Kerry000

Kerry000

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 06:07 AM

Hi Goldwell. Thank you for the awesome mission, I really enjoyed it. I've been a Thief fan most of my adult life and it's missions like this that really take me back to that feeling of immersion I experienced when I first played The Dark Project.

I'm really glad you're working on a new campaign, especially at such high quality. There are a lot of little things I loved about this mission: 

1) Side quests! Those contracts were great. They really added to the feeling of a lived-in environment, filled with petty jealousies and shady characters.

2) The intro, the voice acting, and the level design were all neat. Much appreciated.

3) The little gags...

Spoiler

All in all,  I just want to say thank you for all of the effort that went into making that. I love that there are still people creating TDM missions. 

If you care for some things I believe could use improvement, then I'll state them here. I don't really have a right to be a critic since I could never create something so awesome, but there are one or two little things that might just smooth the edges, so to speak...

Spoiler

Anyway, as I say, I have no right to criticize. I still loved that mission and I can't wait for the next installments in the campaign. Again, thank you very much for all of the hard work you've put into it. I enjoyed it immensely :-)

Edit: Oh, one more thing...

Spoiler

Edited by Kerry000, 26 March 2018 - 06:26 AM.

• Goldwell likes this

#44 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2403 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 06:21 AM

Hi Goldwell. Thank you for the awesome mission, I really enjoyed it. I've been a Thief fan most of my adult life and it's missions like this that really take me back to that feeling of immersion I experienced when I first played The Dark Project.

I'm really glad you're working on a new campaign, especially at such high quality. There are a lot of little things I loved about this mission: 

1) Side quests! Those contracts were great. They really added to the feeling of a lived-in environment, filled with petty jealousies and shady characters.

2) The intro, the voice acting, and the level design were all neat. Much appreciated.

3) The little gags...

Spoiler

All in all,  I just want to say thank you for all of the effort that went into making that. I love that there are still people creating TDM missions. 

If you care for some things I believe could use improvement, then I'll state them here. I don't really have a right to be a critic since I could never create something so awesome, but there are one or two little things that might just smooth the edges, so to speak...

Spoiler

Anyway, as I say, I have no right to criticize. I still loved that mission and I can't wait for the next installments in the campaign. Again, thank you very much for all of the hard work you've put into it. I enjoyed it immensely :-)

Im glad you had a great time and were able to respark those old thief feelings :)

As for the criticisms
Spoiler

I really appreciate the praise and the constructive criticisms. Ive learned a lot from reading your review, so thank you :)

The Accountant

ACT I

Stand Alone Missions

#45 Kerry000

Kerry000

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 06:32 AM

Im glad you had a great time and were able to respark those old thief feelings :)

As for the criticisms

Spoiler

I really appreciate the praise and the constructive criticisms. Ive learned a lot from reading your review, so thank you :)

Ah, that makes sense, regarding the canal. They get around using boats, like a private driveway? Got it :-)

My criticisms are minor, to be honest. I still loved the mission.

Did you see the edit I made regarding the door with the buzzer?

This one...

Spoiler

Edited by Kerry000, 26 March 2018 - 06:35 AM.

#46 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2403 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 06:58 AM

Ah, that makes sense, regarding the canal. They get around using boats, like a private driveway? Got it :-)

My criticisms are minor, to be honest. I still loved the mission.

Did you see the edit I made regarding the door with the buzzer?

This one...

Spoiler

All i'll say about that is that remember that part of the mission is a city hub sort of area that the player will revisit throughout the campaign, it changes each mission and new locations open up, a secret spot you find on night 1 that reveals nothing might reveal something on another night ;)

So when ACT II is out, be sure to check out such curious places and you might be rewarded.

The Accountant

ACT I

Stand Alone Missions

#47 chakkman

chakkman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 11:26 AM

Hehe,

Spoiler

Edited by chakkman, 26 March 2018 - 11:27 AM.

#48 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2403 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 11:31 AM

Hehe,

Spoiler

Spoiler

The Accountant

ACT I

Stand Alone Missions

#49 chakkman

chakkman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 11:36 AM

Alright, thanks for telling. :)

Spoiler

#50 Atomica

Atomica

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 08:03 PM

One thing I have to add though - this mission is supposed to be taking place in a city that's set in the mountains. This is suggested not only by the description but also the loading screen artwork (which is very nice BTW). However, when playing the mission I just don't get that feeling of a cold, snowy environment. I can't even remember seeing any snow having fallen on rooftops or on the ground, though my memory might be failing me. Of course maybe it's set at a time when there is no snow, but for some reason I was primed to expect a cold environment and didn't really feel it when playing. This is a very minor thing of course, but I suppose having that loading screen with the snowy/cold environment appear every time I reloaded a save keep reinforcing this idea that the city should appear the same way.

This is a nitpick though to what's an amazing mission overall, and I'd imagine adding snow everywhere would get costly in terms of development time, so I don't really care that much. Just a thought. :)

Edited by Atomica, 26 March 2018 - 08:07 PM.

• Judith likes this

Oh my God! JC! A bomb!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users