Photo

Fan Mission: Shadows of Northdale ACT I by Goldwell (2018/03/23)

shadows of northdale

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#51 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2403 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 08:08 PM

One thing I have to add though - this mission is supposed to be taking place in a city that's set in the mountains. This is suggested not only by the description but also the loading screen artwork (which is very nice BTW). However, when playing the mission I just don't get that feeling of a cold, snowy environment. I can't even remember seeing any snow having fallen on rooftops or on the ground, though my memory might be failing me. Of course maybe it's set at a time when there is no snow, but for some reason I was primed to expect a cold environment and didn't really feel it when playing.

Mission 1 is set right in the center of the city so you cant see the mountains because theyre blocked by buildings (and its a very foggy night, even the sky is barely visible).

The location of the artwork is actually the final mission and not of Northdale. Its where everything leads to eventually.

Mission 2 is in the Grimwood district, and there you can see mountains and trees because its on the edge of Northdale.

Remember this is just the first of five missions.

The Accountant
Part 1: Thieves and Heirs | Part 2: New In town

Shadows of Northdale Campaign

ACT I

Stand Alone Missions
Lord Edgar's Bathhouse | Spring Cleaning

#52 raymeld

raymeld

• PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 01:20 PM

Superb mission.
Got frustrated a few times because even though it's a small area ,I keep on missing the entrance way to his apartment.Doh!

Edited by raymeld, 27 March 2018 - 01:22 PM.

#53 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2403 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 01:23 PM

Superb mission.
Got frustrated a few times because even though it's a small area ,I keep on missing the entrance to his apartment.Doh!

Glad you had a good time minus the frustrating bits. There are 3 ways to get inside Jordan's apartment but some of them aren't too obvious at first. :)

The Accountant

ACT I

Stand Alone Missions

#54 esme

esme

• PipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 06:00 AM

Oh my stars this is good, this is going to be a campaign ? :D :wub:

--EDIT--

OK just finished, on Master with a stealth score of 12 as I tried luring AI to where I could get 'em, all secrets and 2694 loot plus the 1500 in the safe - how much does this man drink to run up a bar bill that high ? ... and what bar man lets him ?

That was amazing, this is right up there in the best missions for TDM

I had one issue

Spoiler

I love the way the guards eyeball you while you're wandering around, like "I know you're there, what are you doing ?"

The fence was brilliant, the little speeches he comes out with were perfect, the thieves highway induced sweaty palms, there were multiple routes to objectives, tight little backstreets and that shop with the skeleton :o

Spoiler

This was tons of fun to play, thank you

I'm just desperate for part 2 ... and any subsequent parts :D

Edited by esme, 28 March 2018 - 11:15 AM.

• Goldwell likes this

#55 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2403 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 10:55 AM

Oh my stars this is good, this is going to be a campaign ? :D :wub:

Yep! And most of it is already built. Its just a matter of final polish and testing for each mission. So I dont plan to have long wait times in between releases.

The Accountant

ACT I

Stand Alone Missions

#56 Judith

Judith

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1296 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 11:08 AM

That's good news, the prologue feels almost too low-key, it begs for the next part to happen right away :)

#57 esme

esme

• PipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 11:24 AM

That was low key ?

That was amazing, I added a quick review to my post, looks like I just missed Godlwell's post

Edited by esme, 28 March 2018 - 11:24 AM.

#58 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2403 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 11:51 AM

OK just finished, on Master with a stealth score of 12 as I tried luring AI to where I could get 'em, all secrets and 2694 loot plus the 1500 in the safe - how much does this man drink to run up a bar bill that high ? ... and what bar man lets him ?

That was amazing, this is right up there in the best missions for TDM

I had one issue

Spoiler

I love the way the guards eyeball you while you're wandering around, like "I know you're there, what are you doing ?"

The fence was brilliant, the little speeches he comes out with were perfect, the thieves highway induced sweaty palms, there were multiple routes to objectives, tight little backstreets and that shop with the skeleton :o

Spoiler

This was tons of fun to play, thank you

I'm just desperate for part 2 ... and any subsequent parts :D

Thanks for the kind words in the review! The fence was a lot of fun to implement, that scripting was handled by Obsttorte and he was voiced by SlyFoxx. In terms of level design I really tried to open things up this time around, a common piece of criticism I heard in my past missions was that it was too linear, so this time I made 2-3 entrances in each important place which helps to open it up. And i'm glad to hear that it's paying off :)

spoiler 1

Spoiler

spoiler 2

Spoiler

• esme likes this

The Accountant

ACT I

Stand Alone Missions

#59 Judith

Judith

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1296 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 12:27 PM

That was low key ?

Yeah, the main part starts slowly, and it ends with gathering partial evidence and returning to your room. There's a bit of explaining here and there, and actually I had impression my character knows more than I do when it comes to the world and what to do. That definitely whets the appetite for more, at least for me :)

#60 esme

esme

• PipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 12:32 PM

I can go with that, my appetite was definitely whetted :D

#61 Gin

Gin

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 09:03 AM

Really great and high quality mission, I can tell a lot of work was put into it and I enjoyed it a lot. I'm not sure if it's just me or not because it seems like nobody else has mentioned it in this thread, but aren't the footfalls a bit quiet? On my normal volume settings it sounded like there weren't any at all, especially on the metal pipes which seems like they're even quieter than stone and wood. It seems like the noise levels are still the same, so AI still reacts to the footfalls the same as usual. I guess this isn't really a problem for veterans, but it's still a bit jarring and it'd be pretty confusing for people who are newer to the game.

I'm looking forward to the next part.

• Tarhiel likes this

#62 esme

esme

• PipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 11:00 AM

Spoiler

I always forget I can do that, I don't think I've used it since the training mission, I shall give it a try thank you

One possible suggestion for future work

Spoiler

Says me, who's never created a TDM mission in her life and has no idea of how much work is involved

Edited by esme, 29 March 2018 - 11:10 AM.

#63 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2403 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 12:22 PM

Really great and high quality mission, I can tell a lot of work was put into it and I enjoyed it a lot. I'm not sure if it's just me or not because it seems like nobody else has mentioned it in this thread, but aren't the footfalls a bit quiet? On my normal volume settings it sounded like there weren't any at all, especially on the metal pipes which seems like they're even quieter than stone and wood. It seems like the noise levels are still the same, so AI still reacts to the footfalls the same as usual. I guess this isn't really a problem for veterans, but it's still a bit jarring and it'd be pretty confusing for people who are newer to the game.

I'm looking forward to the next part.

Thanks for the kind words! Glad you had a good time. 

The missions uses a mix  custom footsteps from sound packs and quite a few from the Volta campaign which are softer sounding and much more pleasant in my opinion. If it really bothers you you could extract the contents of the Northdale pk4 into its FM folder, go into the footsteps folder in sound and delete them. Then ingame you would have the default footsteps sounds. 

I always forget I can do that, I don't think I've used it since the training mission, I shall give it a try thank you

One possible suggestion for future work

Spoiler

Says me, who's never created a TDM mission in her life and has no idea of how much work is involved

That sounds like a great idea for a mission of yours ;)

The Accountant

ACT I

Stand Alone Missions

#64 Summer

Summer

• PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 07:15 AM

Spoiler

#65 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2403 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 07:17 AM

Spoiler

Spoiler

The Accountant

ACT I

Stand Alone Missions

#66 Summer

Summer

• PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 07:26 AM

Thanks, Goldwell. Like I said, a special kind of dumb-dumb today :D

Spoiler

#67 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2403 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 07:28 AM

Thanks, Goldwell. Like I said, a special kind of dumb-dumb today :D

No not at all! I always seem to run into problems that are obvious to others when I play FMs so I know the feeling. We all just solve problems differently :)

The Accountant

ACT I

Stand Alone Missions

#68 Summer

Summer

• PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 07:36 AM

No not at all! I always seem to run into problems that are obvious to others when I play FMs so I know the feeling. We all just solve problems differently :)

It didn't work. 

Spoiler

#69 chakkman

chakkman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 08:30 AM

Spoiler

Edited by chakkman, 07 April 2018 - 08:45 AM.

#70 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2403 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 08:32 AM

It didn't work. 

Spoiler

Spoiler

The Accountant

ACT I

Stand Alone Missions

#71 Summer

Summer

• PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 10:42 AM

Spoiler

Thank you, Goldwell. Worked like a charm. Finished the game. Such an awesome mission. Can't wait for the sequel. Kudos!

• chakkman, Tarhiel and Goldwell like this

#72 Silverflame3

Silverflame3

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 12:00 PM

Spoiler

Edited by Silverflame3, 07 April 2018 - 12:01 PM.

#73 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2403 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 12:49 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

The Accountant

ACT I

Stand Alone Missions

#74 Shaz

Shaz

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 01:59 PM

I have really enjoyed this mission!
I've completed it, but the fact that I'm still missing one secret is driving me bonkers. I think if I were missing more than one, it wouldn't be quite so bad, but the whole 'You're only missing ONE!' is driving me batty. I wasn't keeping notes as I was finding them, and I can't recall one exactly (I keep remembering things that I don't believe were secrets) but I do recall these, and believe they were all actual secrets:

Spoiler

Plus loot 4085 out of 4404. On that, I say 'close enough!' and am very pleased. But the secret, OH the secret, that one secret!

The only issues I noted were that it felt strange to have to swim to my apartment, though I can understand after perusing this thread (looking for my missing secret), though I wish the guard would make snide remarks about my dripping wet clothes.  :P  Also, the drunk's voice (Farnham?) is too quiet to really understand most of it, even if it is mostly drunken babble.

Edit: Ok, can I just add that a few things stopped me in my tracks due to their wonderful detail? Like that ritzy apartment in my apartment complex, with the sink that fills and drains. I loved that!! Completely inconsequential detail, but I LOVE stuff like this. 

I am so excited for the rest of this campaign!

Edited by Shaz, 07 April 2018 - 02:12 PM.

• Goldwell likes this

#75 Darkness_Falls

Darkness_Falls

Concept Artist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2544 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 11:30 PM

Pretty sweet mission so far. Love the vibe, music, and sounds of home. I just encountered a bug, though. Got a "Visual Studio Just-In-Time Debugger" pop-up saying, "An unhandled win32 exception occurred in TheDarkMod.exe [6956]"

Here is what I was doing:

Spoiler

Edited by Darkness_Falls, 07 April 2018 - 11:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users