Photo

Recomendation - folder/file encryption software for windows 7/8?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19701 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 11:05 AM

So I am looking for a program that can encrypt folders so that when I want to access them I am prompted for a password, its local access only so no network or internet.

I am current trying Axcrypt which is open-source, but dont mind paying a modest amount for something thats faster to open files and anonymise the contents of a folder.

#2 kano

kano

• PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 12:27 PM

Veracrypt is good, free and open source. If you are serious about this you really should encrypt the whole OS installation, because chunks of sensitive data can end up in e.g. the swap file or temp files outside of the encrypted area otherwise. Veracrypt can do this as well, and at startup, you are prompted to enter the password before booting. If you feel that it takes too long to unlock, the solution is to lower the PIM iterations count. This will decrease security somewhat, but if you are up against a truly skilled/coercive adversary like a government, you're screwed anyway. It will definitely protect you from the average thief even with a lower PIM.

And yes, you can change the password/PIM without needing to re-encrypt the thing. This works by using a layer of abstraction. It generates a strong key to encrypt the data, and then it encrypts that key with the password of your choice. So if you change the password, they just re-encrypt the key without needing to generate a new key and it will still unlock the same volume as before.

Edited by kano, 30 March 2018 - 12:28 PM.

#3 freyk

freyk

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 03:40 PM

See the examples above.
And how about just an easy zip with a password?

#4 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19701 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 04:00 AM

Veracrypt is good, free and open source.

Great will try this.

And how about just an easy zip with a password?

Have already tried, access is way too slow

#5 kano

kano

• PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 01:04 PM

Modern CPUs, anything past the Sandy Bridge, tend to come with an instruction called AES_NI. This is hardware acceleration of encryption/decryption, so that everything doesn't need to be done by software. Some programs (Veracrypt definitely does) take advantage of this, and some don't.

• PsymH and SiyahParsomen like this

#6 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19701 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 02:17 PM

Ah that's good to know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users