Thief 4 inspiration thread..?

8 replies to this topic

#1 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19907 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 01:57 PM

So I'm doing another play-through of T4, but this time with the use of a trainer so I can noclip and ghost amongst other things,,

I have been taking lost of screen shots, and was wondering if there was any interest in me creating a multi threaded & resource inspiration thread?

Edited by Bikerdude, 12 April 2018 - 01:58 PM.

• chakkman, grayman and ERH+ like this

#2 Judith

Judith

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1284 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 02:33 PM

I have a folder like that as well, but IMO those assets aren't that impressive anymore. Quite a few years have passed, and stuff like Dishonored 2 happened :)

• Petike the Taffer likes this

#3 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12552 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 02:56 PM

Sounds like a good idea

#4 Obsttorte

Obsttorte

Scripting guru, Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5579 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 03:32 PM

Lol, played through it again the for the same reason last weak (but without the noclip mode). :)

I have a folder like that as well, but IMO those assets aren't that impressive anymore. Quite a few years have passed, and stuff like Dishonored 2 happened :)

From a technical point of view you are probably right. But I would assume that Thief 4 is most likely closer to what many FM authors are aiming for in regards to art design then Dishonored 2 (which is way more steam-punky then any thief game ever was). In the end both games are worth taking a closer look at.

• Judith and Tarhiel like this
FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild
WIP's: Several. Although after playing Thief 4 I really wanna make a city mission.
Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches
Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models
My wiki articles: Obstipedia
Let's Map TDM YouTube playlist: ObstlerTube
Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

End of shameless self promotion.

#5 Judith

Judith

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1284 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 04:46 PM

I was thinking more about general model fidelity and texturework, than differences in style, but it's true: Carnaca is more "exotic" setting (Latin America, etc.) than Dunwall, which is only present in first and last part of the game.

#6 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19907 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 05:07 PM

Well I am current taking and collecting SS as I go, maybe this little side projectect will be the thing that gets me into modelling...

Edited by Bikerdude, 13 April 2018 - 04:10 AM.

#7 Judith

Judith

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1284 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 01:18 AM

If you're collecting images of citysections, you'll actually be better with google maps and street views, as you can get inspired by real-world thing, and not somebody's interpretation of that. Still, games are good to look for modeling tricks, gameplay ideas, or e.g. interior layouts, as those are harder to come by.

#8 chakkman

chakkman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 07:57 AM

I've been thinking about starting Thief 4 again too, a few days ago. Unfortunately, i still have too good memories of a dull, dumb game, so, i guess i rather pass on it... rather give Dishonored another go.

I also found the artwork in the first 3 games to be very different. Theif 4's artwork was pretty good in its own right, but, not to compare with the other Thief's IMO. 

#9 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19907 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:32 AM

I have updated the T4 thread and posted a link to the trainer I am currently using -

http://forums.thedar...4-tweaks-fixes/

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users