The Dark Mod Forums

Acn1004 -- Builder Priest

Springheel

I'm starting to play around with Builder Priest concepts. This is the first one I've come up with, but it isn't drawn in stone. :)

Some things I've thought about: Metal is almost a religious substance to builders, so even the priests should wear some metal. So I gave him some chains and metal shoulder plates, among other things. Hammers are their holy symbol, so even the priests should carry one, and be able to use it in melee combat if necessary (though less effectively than the guards). I presume we will want them to throw fire like the original games? That's easily done. Should they do it from their hands? A wand? Or perhaps the hammer?

I was also wondering if we should give the priests other abilities? Someone mentioned a shining hammer in another thread, what if the priest could use his holy symbol to light up the area around him?

Anyway, all comments welcome.

concept%20priest.jpg

Edit: Ok, a new version, Oct 11th

concept%20priest2.jpg

I've made the shoulder metal smaller and more decorative. I've also given him a hat and more robe-like clothing. The strips at the bottom of the robe are decorative metal, and there are metal plates on the scarf-like things hanging from his shoulders.

A ceremonial hammer completes the outfit. It could be used in combat if necessary, and could also function as his wand (which always struck me as too 'magicky' for a builder).

What do you think?

Edited by Springheel

Other than that his legs are clearly too short.

How do you mean? Proportionlly they are dead on, are you talking about how much is showing past the tunic?

What about thoughts on the outfit? Not priesty enough? Should he have a more robed look like Ren suggested?

Yeah, making it look more robed, and possibly removing the shoulder pads, would work better in my mind.

His proportion does seem to be off by a little, possibly it's the length of the arms. The hand holding the hammer, if fully extended, would touch his knee. Not that it really matters, considering this is just a first draft. Heck, my belcher was missing a full bone from his legs. :lol:

http://www.thirdfilms. com

A Thief's Path trailer is now on Youtube!

I think a robed look might be more appropriate. What about adding lots of decoratvie details to the outfit? Religious higher-ups (especially fanatical religious higher-ups) tend to enjoy wearing over-the-top extravagant garb. Also, what about adding some kind of large-ish hat? I imagine a Builder Priest wants you to know, without a doubt, that he can lay the holier-than-thou smackdown on anyone that gets in his way. A big hat tends to have that effect, lol.

Just some ideas. :)

Edited by Kappow

Of course he doesn't NEED shoulder pads. But think. This is an order of metal-workers, who worshop a god whose greatest gift to man was the ability to work metal. Even their priests would be wearing a good deal of metal, imo, not just robes.

And I definitely think they should carry a hammer, even if it is fairly ceremonial.

I am up for a more robe-like appearance though...I'll see what I can come up with.

Ok, I've added a second version to the original post. What do you think?

IMO I think that the 2nd one is better. The hammer is more decorative, as a priest would have more decorative type items. His physical proportions are better than the 1st. As in he looks taller and lankier vs. the short and squatty look the 1st drawing had. If you had made the 1st guy and wider and I would have thought he was a dwarf. I personally feel that priests should have that skinnier, almost frail look about them. It helps you underestimate the power that they hide within themselves. I like all of the decorative metal. It fits the religion. Especially since he is a priest. Cant really think of much else to criticize. Great work.