The Dark Mod Forums

Mission Modding Topics

nbohr1more

I don't think, there should be a problem even when just altering an existing mission - as long as the modifications are allowed by license, the result is named unambiguously (wich most likely is a requirement of the license anyway) and attribution is given correctly (wich also almost always is rerquired by the license).

Not every mission modification has to make it into the TDM downloader. There could be a forum for stuff that did not made it into the downloader.

And i don't know whether that is already supported by the engine, but there might be PK4s that patch the PK4s of a mission. Missions tend to get bigger and bigger - maybe mods for missions should be considered a valid thing too...

i wouldn't want mine altered, as an update might remove a reference to clues to puzzles, because someone thought something was a spelling mistake, when it isn't. Or an indirect reference to something in another map that happens at a different time.

I see modding or using an existing object, as a tribute to the original creator.
Because people dont copy ugly things,
for using it themselfs.
The mappers chooses the nicest existing assest from TDM for their maps.
(that they never created themselfs)
(i see this also as "copying" )

It would be nice if a mapper put a license for their map to follow.
Mappers should copy only the parts you need and improve it to the taste of their own.
Just like the tdm-team and community did, with id's d3-engine.
But the mapper need to remember that they not created the used assests in their missions.

Sooo, time for a little prayer:
"Send love and praises,

to the almighty Builder(s),

Who created our beloved the TDM world, with his golden hammer.

A world where we Create, Give and Take."

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

• 2 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recent Status Updates

• Ansome

Well then, it's been about a week since I released my first FM and I must say that I was very pleasantly surprised by its reception. I had expected half as much interest in my short little FM as I received and even less when it came to positive feedback, but I am glad that the aspects of my mission that I put the most heart into were often the most appreciated. It was also delightful to read plenty of honest criticism and helpful feedback, as I've already been given plenty of useful pointers on improving my brushwork, level design, and gameplay difficulty.
      I've gotten back into the groove of chipping away at my reading and game list, as well as the endless FM catalogue here, but I may very well try my hand at the 15th anniversary contest should it materialize. That is assuming my eyes are ready for a few more months of Dark Radiant's bright interface while burning the midnight oil, of course!
      · 4 replies
    • The Black Arrow

Any of you heard Age of Wonders 4's OST?
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0TcoMGq4iA
      I love how after all these years, Michiel van den Bos still conserves his "Melodic" spirit.
      · 0 replies
    • nbohr1more

Moddb article is up:  https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-dark-mod/news/the-dark-mod-212-is-here
      · 3 replies
    • Petike the Taffer

I've been gone for a while, but now I'm back, have a new desktop and I want to get back to making missions and playing missions. And doing other contributions. Waiting for my reset password for the wiki, but I'll take a look at it soon. Hello, all.
      · 4 replies
    • snatcher

TDM Modpack 4.0 for The Dark Mod 2.12 released!
      · 1 reply