Floating triangle of shadow

10 replies to this topic

#1 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 37406 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:50 AM

I'm encountering a bug in a WIP (using 2.06).  I'm fairly certain it's something that I've heard of before, but I can't remember any details about what might be causing it, nor can I think of a decent term to search for.

The problem is in one particular room; there is a single triangle of shadow that seems to float in the player's vision.  It is not affected by objects behind it; it appears to be floating in the air rather than being cast on surfaces like a normal shadow.   It only happens when looking in one direction at one specific area.  As the player moves, the triangle stays in the same spot on the screen, but gets smaller or larger as if it is getting closer or further away. 

Does this sound familiar to anyone?  I'd post a video, but it's happening inside a room that I don't want to reveal.

TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#2 ERH+

ERH+

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:19 AM

In 2.06 I have spotted few invisible triangles on brush surfaces. Nothing uncommon but they wern't there before 2.06.

S2wtMNl.gif

#3 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9030 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:41 AM

What is r_shadowPolygonOffset and r_shadowPolygonFactor set to?

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#4 stumpy

stumpy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1858 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 11:46 AM

you can get black triangles when there are too many vis_portals in view. although the figure is quite high something like 32+.

Edited by stumpy, 15 May 2018 - 11:47 AM.

• nbohr1more likes this

#5 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9030 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:22 PM

Another one I've heard is floating brush shards or brushes accidentally embeded in lights.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#6 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 37406 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:51 PM

Ok, I removed some of the top secret stuff and recorded a video.  You can see that the triangle is not a typical shadow being cast by something, and is draws in front of all models.

TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#7 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12701 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:13 PM

Have you bound anything to the player?

#8 demagogue

demagogue

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5408 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:29 PM

The problem I had was related (I believe) to the softshadow/FBO glitch (I'm using Intel graphics cir. 2015), where it "burns in" the shadows at the time you turn soft shadows on / start time, and then the shadow stays placed there and moves with the player's view and rendering in front of everything. I don't recall them growing larger or smaller though. And it was along with the sparklie glitch.

Posted Image

#9 stumpy

stumpy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1858 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:54 PM

could be bad material definition aka bad shader.

might be a windings error, max windings is 128 happens where something splits one face more than 128 times.

Edited by stumpy, 15 May 2018 - 10:03 PM.

#10 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 37406 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:31 AM

Have you bound anything to the player?

Nope.

I can start deleting things in the room one at a time to try and track it down, but I feel like I've encountered or heard of this same issue before.  But I guess if it's not familiar to anyone else I might be imagining it.

#11 Durandall

Durandall

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:45 AM

I saw one of these below the grandfather clock at the top of the stairs in Sneak & Destroy a week or two ago.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users