#1 Bienie

Bienie

• PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 04:33 AM

POPULAR

rama9hM.png

Story:

Making a living in Brooksdale isn't easy... Between the swindlers, racketeers and two-bit thugs there's not much coin to be had for an honest thief... Luckily, I'm going on something of an excursion tonight. A reliable fence set me up with a well paying job for an anonymous benefactor who wants me to 'liberate' some trinket he has laid claim to.

The item in question is a pearl amulet, which is supposedly shrouded in mystery. It was recently acquired by one Cordelia Harrington in the neighboring borough Clifton Grove. Since being widowed a few years ago Lady Harrington has made a name for herself throwing lavish events entertaining the 'highborn elite' of Bridgeport.

A city wall with a hefty wooden gate makes sure the Brooksdale filth doesn't spill over to Clifton at night, but luckily some local 'entrepreneurs' have found another way in. For a small fee, a broken sewer pipe will take me to a tavern called 'The Smiling Boar', which is a favored watering hole for local individuals of ill-repute, where I'm sure I'll blend in.

From there I will need to navigate the streets to the south and find Manor Harrington. The night shift in Clifton is well armed, organized, and notorious for stabbing first and asking questions later, so I'll need to be careful.

Word has it Madame Harrington is something of a collector of interesting, and valuable, items so the place will no doubt be guarded. But, I'm not going to let that stop me from grabbing a few keepsakes. I have my target, a rough map of the area and my wits. It's time to head out...

Build Time:

Approximately 400 hours over 8 months, including the beta testing phase. Being my first mission a lot of the time went to learning some of the more advanced concepts of Dark Radiant.

Springheel - For creating the module set that comprises most of the hard scenery in the map, exterior walls and interiors.

Bikerdude - For his many hours thoroughly beta testing the map and building custom set pieces used in the map.

Amadeus - For his many hours thoroughly beta testing the map as well as proof reading.

Cambridge Spy - For lots of beta testing / bug hunting.

Judith - Beta testing and performance metrics.

Spooks - Beta testing.

Obsttorte - Coding/scripting help.

Download:

Available in the in-game downloader, or at any of these below locations:

Dropbox

darkmod.taaaki.za.net

Fidcal.com

Version 2

Dropbox

Gallery:

1557.jpg

2352.jpg

3772.jpg

4584.jpg

5657.jpg

6411.jpg

7116.jpg

Hints, Tips, Walkthroughs, Spoilers(!):

Spoiler

Disclaimers, Player Information.

Spoiler

Thank you for playing! What did you think of the mission? I look forward to your honest feedback!

Edited by Bienie, 05 September 2018 - 04:13 PM.

• Springheel, Bikerdude, Judith and 15 others like this

#2 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8927 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 06:56 AM

Congrats!
  • Bienie likes this
Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#3 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12634 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 07:19 AM

Congrats! Looks gorgeous!

• Bienie likes this

#4 Kerry000

Kerry000

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 08:01 AM

Hi Bienie,

Congratulations on completing your first mission! Thank you very much for all of the effort it would have taken to create and share it with us. It looks fantastic and I can't wait to go home and play it  :D

Discovering that a new mission has been released at TDM is one of my favorite things these days.

Thanks again.

• Bienie likes this

#5 lowenz

lowenz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1839 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 08:22 AM

400h for the first mission!

What a dedication!

Edited by lowenz, 26 May 2018 - 08:22 AM.

• Bienie and CarltonTroisi like this

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

#6 Obsttorte

Obsttorte

Scripting guru, Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5653 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 11:40 AM

Congrats.

• Bienie likes this
FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild
WIP's: Several. Although after playing Thief 4 I really wanna make a city mission.
Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches
Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models
My wiki articles: Obstipedia
Let's Map TDM YouTube playlist: ObstlerTube
Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

End of shameless self promotion.

#7 Amadeus

Amadeus

• PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 11:42 AM

Congratulations!!! I'm looking forward to playing the final final final version ;)

• Bienie likes this

#8 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2417 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 12:09 PM

Congratulations on releasing your first mission! :)
  • Bienie likes this

The Accountant
Part 1: Thieves and Heirs | Part 2: New In town

Shadows of Northdale Campaign

ACT I

Stand Alone Missions
Lord Edgar's Bathhouse | Spring Cleaning

#9 Abusimplea

Abusimplea

• PipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 12:51 PM

Tried it on hardest first but quickly switched to medium difficulty because i really wanted to blackjack all the people in the tavern. From there on i really enjoyed it despite constantly wondering what i might have missed by not chosing the highest difficulty mode.

Spoiler

• Bienie likes this

#10 SuaveSteve

SuaveSteve

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 02:44 PM

Awesome mission and a great first impression!

I only found 8 secrets and 2947 loot.

Two points of feedback:

Spoiler

#11 Kerry000

Kerry000

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 03:29 PM

I really enjoyed this mission. Thank you, Bienie!

The textures, lighting and models were all great. I also like the underlying story and the hints as to where the "Chronicles of Skulduggery" is headed as a series.

I found 3275 loot, and 8 out of 11 secrets.

I also really enjoyed...

Spoiler

One thing I did not like...

Spoiler

With regards to anything I might have missed...

Spoiler

Thank you again for this wonderful mission. It was really detailed and a lot of fun to play!

#12 Bienie

Bienie

• PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 06:02 PM

Tried it on hardest first but quickly switched to medium difficulty because i really wanted to blackjack all the people in the tavern. From there on i really enjoyed it despite constantly wondering what i might have missed by not chosing the highest difficulty mode.

Spoiler

Well let me put your fears to rest in that you are not missing out on any content by choosing a lower difficulty, aside from being able to miss the entire area where the golden lion is if you don't need to go there. The differences summed up amount to, on hardest difficulty, harsher lighting, more guard NPCs and harder objectives.

Spoiler

Awesome mission and a great first impression!

I only found 8 secrets and 2947 loot.

Two points of feedback:

Spoiler

Spoiler

I really enjoyed this mission. Thank you, Bienie!

The textures, lighting and models were all great. I also like the underlying story and the hints as to where the "Chronicles of Skulduggery" is headed as a series.

I found 3275 loot, and 8 out of 11 secrets.

I also really enjoyed...

Spoiler

One thing I did not like...

Spoiler

With regards to anything I might have missed...

Spoiler

Thank you again for this wonderful mission. It was really detailed and a lot of fun to play!

Thank you for that shining review! I did try to flesh out the backstory as best I could and I now have a monumental task if I want to tie up all the loose ends in the sequels!!

Spoiler

• Kerry000 likes this

#13 Bienie

Bienie

• PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 06:15 PM

400h for the first mission!

What a dedication!

Just in response to this, yes it was dedication but I enjoyed almost every minute I spent working on it! I think 400 hours is probably a conservative estimate, and that's not counting the first draft of the mission which I probably spent another 150 hours on back in 2015. But it's a learning process and I now feel like I could make a similar mission in more like 100 hours with this experience under my belt. That's what I'm hoping for anyway with the sequel, which I started blocking out a bit this evening ;)

• Goldwell and hanmin like this

#14 gnartsch

gnartsch

• PipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 08:26 AM

Very nice and impressive mission ! ^_^
I had lots of fun making my way

Spoiler

The riddle

Spoiler

• Bienie likes this

#15 hanmin

hanmin

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 08:31 AM

Awesome mission so far, congrats and thank you.

I am in the
Spoiler
but stuck in
Spoiler
No matter what I set in controls/weapons for next/prev weapon, I am cycling weapons mostly. After the message to use the mouse wheel triggers, I can set one
Spoiler
and then I am damned to cycle weapons again.

Ubuntu 14.04; TDM 2.05; Thinkpad X230

#16 hanmin

hanmin

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 08:43 AM

Awesome mission so far, congrats and thank you.

I am in the

Spoiler
but stuck in
Spoiler
No matter what I set in controls/weapons for next/prev weapon, I am cycling weapons mostly. After the message to use the mouse wheel triggers, I can set one
Spoiler
and then I am damned to cycle weapons again.

Ubuntu 14.04; TDM 2.05; Thinkpad X230

I found the solution. Each wheel needs to be frobbed before operation.
  • Bienie likes this

#17 NeonsStyle

NeonsStyle

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1411 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 09:47 AM

Congratulations on your release. I'll go play it now. Can't wait. :D

• Bienie and CarltonTroisi like this

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedar...2017-update-16/

#18 Kerry000

Kerry000

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 04:59 AM

Thank you for that shining review! I did try to flesh out the backstory as best I could and I now have a monumental task if I want to tie up all the loose ends in the sequels!!

Spoiler

You did a great job of it all. This is one of the first missions where I've stopped to admire the embossed/plush wallpapers and parquet ceilings (especially in Sir William's flat). The AO seemed to have a lot more contrast in this mission than any others I've played (or maybe it's just the first time I've paid attention to it) and, even if it's baked and not real-time, it still added a little something extra to the look and feel of the level.

I only ever play these missions on the hardest difficulty for the added realism, and this one was certainly a challenge. I was only forced to use one of the allowed knockouts, on Karl in the inn, because I wanted to save my water arrows for later.

Spoiler

I know these fan missions take up a lot of time and effort to create, but please don't stop. The Chronicles of Skulduggery looks to be an awesome little series and I can't wait to visit the...

Spoiler

These fan missions always remind me of a time when gaming was pure, without all the political grandstanding and money-grabbing involved in today's mass produced "epics" that rehash the same old nonsense again and again. I remember when games were about escapism and immersing yourself in a fantasy world where you could just forget about everything else for a few hours, and that's exactly how missions like "Pearls and Swine" make me feel again.

Thank you very much for that experience, and please keep it up!

Edited by Kerry000, 28 May 2018 - 05:03 AM.

• Bienie likes this

#19 Bienie

Bienie

• PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 08:10 AM

You did a great job of it all. This is one of the first missions where I've stopped to admire the embossed/plush wallpapers and parquet ceilings (especially in Sir William's flat). The AO seemed to have a lot more contrast in this mission than any others I've played (or maybe it's just the first time I've paid attention to it) and, even if it's baked and not real-time, it still added a little something extra to the look and feel of the level.

I only ever play these missions on the hardest difficulty for the added realism, and this one was certainly a challenge. I was only forced to use one of the allowed knockouts, on Karl in the inn, because I wanted to save my water arrows for later.

Spoiler

I know these fan missions take up a lot of time and effort to create, but please don't stop. The Chronicles of Skulduggery looks to be an awesome little series and I can't wait to visit the...

Spoiler

These fan missions always remind me of a time when gaming was pure, without all the political grandstanding and money-grabbing involved in today's mass produced "epics" that rehash the same old nonsense again and again. I remember when games were about escapism and immersing yourself in a fantasy world where you could just forget about everything else for a few hours, and that's exactly how missions like "Pearls and Swine" make me feel again.

Thank you very much for that experience, and please keep it up!

Well this is exactly what I was hoping to provide to the community, a mission that is engrossing and allows you to escape from reality for a little while, and hopefully leave an impression on the player. So I'm very happy that this is what happened in your case! This mission is built for those players who, like myself, have an unwavering curiosity and want to explore every nook and cranny of the map. The "purity" of gaming experience is exactly what drew me to TDM in the first place as well, aside from my belief that it is the true successor to the Thief legacy. And I definitely want to further that in any way I can.

More to the specifics of the map;

Spoiler

• Kerry000 and CarltonTroisi like this

#20 Bienie

Bienie

• PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 08:22 AM

Very nice and impressive mission ! ^_^
I had lots of fun making my way

Spoiler

The riddle

Spoiler

I'm glad you enjoyed it! Exploration is the name of the game (or at least the mission ^^)

Spoiler

#21 NeonsStyle

NeonsStyle

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1411 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 12:37 PM

Really enjoyed this mission. The design, gameplay and aesthetics were perfect. Thanks. Really good mission. :D

• Bienie likes this

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedar...2017-update-16/

#22 Kerry000

Kerry000

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 03:14 PM

Hi Bienie,

I just enjoyed a second playthrough. Found all loot and secrets! That's the first time I've managed to find everything in a TDM mission. There was one coin that I intentionally left behind and just counted as "found". You know which one. 

I really struggled to find the last secret...

Spoiler

Here's a list of all 11 secrets, just in case anyone gets stuck:

Spoiler

Edited by Kerry000, 30 May 2018 - 03:27 PM.

• Bienie likes this

#23 V-Man339

V-Man339

Perfectionist Taffer

• PipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 11:38 PM

I loved it, and will be doing a perfect run video/walkthrough of it later.

Could I get a list of items to pick up and readable objects for later?

• Bienie likes this

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.
Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

#24 esme

esme

• PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 10:23 AM

Great mission, very impressive for your first, I needed help on one secret

Spoiler
I spent ages trying to figure out how to get to certain rooms and finally worked out
Spoiler

I feel a bit weird saying this but I love those sewers

Also had the issue with the thieves stash box

Spoiler
The contents were still frobable though it just looked empty

Could be my imagination but there might be a problem with

Spoiler
Could have been my aim though

• Bienie likes this

#25 kingsal

kingsal

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 10:31 AM

Congratulations on the release. Gonna make some time this weekend to play it!

• Tarhiel and Bienie like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users