TDM 2.06 issues...

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#51 pacman

pacman

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 09:41 AM

Please update the tdm_update.linux binary with a 64 bit elf, or a statically linked executable. It seems that it still is an elf32 and depends on 32 bit libraries. Can't run it on 64 bit Debian Stretch GNU/Linux, it gives an error: "no such file or directory" which might be that loader is missing, or the shared libraries are missing.

For Full information, see this thread: http://forums.thedar...-32-bit-binary/

• stgatilov likes this

#52 Destined

Destined

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 10:40 AM

Got home early today. Deleting the unpacked GUIs folder solved my issue. Thanks again!

• nbohr1more likes this

#53 Hiradur

Hiradur

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 12:22 PM

For fun I ran the TDM 2.06 64 bit Linux release with the INTEL_DEBUG=perf environment variable set. For every rendered frame I saw this output:

intelReadPixels: fallback to CPU mapping in PBO case
CPU mapping a busy miptree BO stalled and took 3.813 ms.
Failed to fast clear 1920x1080 depth because of scissors. Possible 5% performance win if avoided.

I got this on all 3 maps I tested (Training Mission, A New Job, Volta 1). Maybe it's worth investigating (see notes below though).

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 520
Driver version: Mesa 13.0.6
Binary: 64 bit Linux binary
Settings: r_useFBO 1, pretty high settings, soft shadows off

Mesa 13.0.6 is a bit dated by now so I would suggest to verify this with a newer Mesa version if possible.
Note: TDM said that the OpenGL extension EXT_depths_bound_test wasn't found, I'm not sure if this is related to the fast clear problem or not.
  • stgatilov likes this

#54 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8982 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 12:45 PM

For fun I ran the TDM 2.06 64 bit Linux release with the INTEL_DEBUG=perf environment variable set. For every rendered frame I saw this output:

I got this on all 3 maps I tested (Training Mission, A New Job, Volta 1). Maybe it's worth investigating (see notes below though).

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 520
Driver version: Mesa 13.0.6
Binary: 64 bit Linux binary
Settings: r_useFBO 1, pretty high settings, soft shadows off

Mesa 13.0.6 is a bit dated by now so I would suggest to verify this with a newer Mesa version if possible.
Note: TDM said that the OpenGL extension EXT_depths_bound_test wasn't found, I'm not sure if this is related to the fast clear problem or not.

We use scissor tests to prevent off-screen rendering and reduce fillrate consumed by stencil shadows.

If you wish to compare, disable them via cvar:

r_useEntityScissors 0
r_useInteractionScissors 0
r_useLightScissors 0
r_useScissor 0
r_useShadowSurfaceScissor 0
r_useClippedLightScissors 0

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#55 stgatilov

stgatilov

Lead Programmer

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1018 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 12:50 PM

We use scissor tests to prevent off-screen rendering and reduce fillrate consumed by stencil shadows.

Yep, the situation about scissors test is: shadow volumes without them would be awfully inefficient.

The question remains whether any scissors usage causes this issue, or we can change something a bit so that the problem disappears.

The warning about PBO is interesting, and the second warning is probably related.

But it should be considered by looking into mesa source code (it is easily googlable by error messages).

Probably Duzenko could do it if he wants.

Anyway, this info is a bit too hardcore for generic discussion about "TDM 2.06 issues"  :D

Probably we should restrain ourself from talking about it here and move the question to e.g. PM.

#56 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8982 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 01:19 PM

Interesting. There doesn't appear to be a "stateless" glscissor operation in modern GL?

The closest we have is grouping them into an array or index (glScissorIndexed).

It seems that someone recently made a home remedy by using GLSL to perform the scissor

rather than the driver and API call:

https://forum.lazaru...p?topic=40354.0

#57 Hiradur

Hiradur

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 01:38 PM

r_useEntityScissors 0
r_useInteractionScissors 0
r_useLightScissors 0
r_useScissor 0
r_useShadowSurfaceScissor 0
r_useClippedLightScissors 0

I put these settings into autoexec.cfg and verified ingame that they are indeed all set to zero. The output of INTEL_DEBUG=perf didn't change however, it's still showing the same. Performance was notably worse with scissors turned off, ca. 25%.

Anyway, this info is a bit too hardcore for generic discussion about "TDM 2.06 issues" :D

Probably we should restrain ourself from talking about it here and move the question to e.g. PM.

Yes, sorry about that. I didn't want to create a new thread but this thread isn't the best place for this either.

Edited by Hiradur, 31 May 2018 - 01:47 PM.

#58 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8982 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 01:45 PM

Hmm.

Must be hard-coded somewhere that the cvars don't touch. I think I saw one qglscissor in win_glimp so it may also be somewhere in the

equivalent frame invoke on Linux.

Still, I think the profiler is kinda alluding to what I said above "redesign your engine to batch scissor tests into arrays or indexes".

A nice hint but not exactly easy to implement as I can tell.

#59 Premier

Premier

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 03:19 PM

Well, my previous problem was apparently solved with stgatilov's kind help, but now I have a different one.

Roughly every... maybe third or fourth attempt at loading a savegame results in a crash to desktop. So far it always seems to manifest when quickloading, and so far it has never manifested while loading manually (even if it's a quicksave file), but to be fair, I haven't tried manually loading that often yet.

This is occuring on a brand new installation of the game from scratch, on the FM "A new Job" that comes with the installation. Before I've reinstalled the game, it also happened in other FM's as well, also on 2.06. Haven't tried other missions on this new installation yet, but I expect it would be the same.

All this is on WinXP, and nothing like this has ever happened with previous versions. Don't know what log file would be relevant, but Darkmod.log says:
Spoiler

#60 stgatilov

stgatilov

Lead Programmer

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1018 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 09:28 PM

All this is on WinXP, and nothing like this has ever happened with previous versions. Don't know what log file would be relevant, but Darkmod.log says:

This file is more like debug info for developers, it does not contain anything interesting now.

Better post console contents.

Open darkmod.cfg and add a line at the end (don't forget to remove it when investigation is over):

seta logFile "2"

Now run the game. After it crashes, look at file fms/<name_of_mission>/qconsole.log.

Attach it here as txt.

P.S. There is also a way to record crashdump, but that's quite tedious (if the described approach even works on WinXP).

So let's start with console log described above.

#61 MayheM

MayheM

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 11:39 PM

I am getting a new error while replaying Full moon fever ..

it says: The NVIDIA OpenGL driver lost connection with the display driver due to exceeding the windows Time-out limit and is unable to continue.

I tried to add a registry key that was mentioned here in this link https://docs.microso...r-registry-keys

but no luck. I never had this error when i had played Full moon fever for the first time.

#62 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8982 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 12:04 AM

it says: The NVIDIA OpenGL driver lost connection with the display driver due to exceeding the windows Time-out limit and is unable to continue.

I tried to add a registry key that was mentioned here in this link https://docs.microso...r-registry-keys

but no luck. I never had this error when i had played Full moon fever for the first time.

Nvidia's own docs exclaim that you are overworking your GPU somehow.

Let's get your latest Darkmod.cfg to check where your current settings are.

#63 MayheM

MayheM

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 12:17 AM

Nvidia's own docs exclaim that you are overworking your GPU somehow.

Let's get your latest Darkmod.cfg to check where your current settings are.

I've never overclocked anything at all, and try to avoid it at all cost. it's not worth it for me as i am not a heavy gamer

it could be my GPU is in its final days.

here is the cfg. same as before. the only difference between now and the last time i played that mission is uncap FPS and multi core. tried to disable them but still the error pops out.

Keep in mind that this error also happens in No honor among thieves( exactly when opening the door behind the guard.) and i played that mission like 4 times.

Spoiler

#64 stgatilov

stgatilov

Lead Programmer

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1018 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 12:31 AM

If I'm not mistaken, this timeout limit is set on single frame, i.e. if your GPU computes for 2 seconds (default) without response, then it is killed.

It is unlikely that a normally playable game can suddenly start rendering so slowly that one frame takes 2 seconds.

It sounds more like a bug of some sort which causes GPU to hang...

#65 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8982 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 12:41 AM

I've never overclocked anything at all, and try to avoid it at all cost. it's not worth it for me as i am not a heavy gamer
it could be my GPU is in its final days.

here is the cfg. same as before. the only difference between now and the last time i played that mission is uncap FPS and multi core. tried to disable them but still the error pops out.

Keep in mind that this error also happens in No honor among thieves( exactly when opening the door behind the guard.) and i played that mission like 4 times.

You've fallen into the resolution scaling trap again.

seta r_nvidiaOverride "1"
seta r_fboResolution "1.36"
seta r_multiSamples "2"
1) Delete your Darkmod.cfg
2) Leave MSAA set to OFF r_multisamples 0 and r_fboResolution 1
3) Disable nvidiaOverride (set to 0)
4) Configure FXAA in your drivers (create a darkmod profile)
5) Enable FBO. r_useFBO = 1
6) Enable Soft Shadows if desired
  • stgatilov likes this

#66 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 37376 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 05:59 AM

Do you have the multi core option turned on in the menu?  I had that same crash occur randomly with it enabled.

TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#67 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20166 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 06:40 AM

t says: The NVIDIA OpenGL driver lost connection with the display driver due to exceeding the windows Time-out limit and is unable to continue.

Also whats the model of the nVidia card and what version windows are you on?

Edited by Bikerdude, 01 June 2018 - 08:49 AM.

#68 kano

kano

• PipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 08:35 AM

Anyone else see an HOM effect in the sky of Return to the City?

#69 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8982 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 08:41 AM

Anyone else see an HOM effect in the sky of Return to the City?

That is caused by enabling in-game AA when you have Soft Shadows on Nvidia hardware.

http://wiki.thedarkm...2C_FBO_and_You.
  • Bikerdude likes this

#70 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20166 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 08:55 AM

That is caused by enabling in-game AA when you have Soft Shadows on Nvidia hardware.

http://wiki.thedarkm...2C_FBO_and_You.

When I click on that link, it takes me to a blank page fella, if I copy and past the actual url it works - wieird

Edited by Bikerdude, 01 June 2018 - 08:59 AM.

#71 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8982 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 08:59 AM

Hmm.

I should've never put that period in the name of that section.

Here is the main wiki:

http://wiki.thedarkm...new_in_TDM_2.06
  • Bikerdude likes this

#72 Premier

Premier

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 12:16 PM

This file is more like debug info for developers, it does not contain anything interesting now.
Better post console contents.

Open darkmod.cfg and add a line at the end (don't forget to remove it when investigation is over):

seta logFile "2"
Now run the game. After it crashes, look at file fms/<name_of_mission>/qconsole.log.
Attach it here as txt.

P.S. There is also a way to record crashdump, but that's quite tedious (if the described approach even works on WinXP).
So let's start with console log described above.

I followed your instructions, and here's what I got in the log file:
Spoiler

#73 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 37376 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 03:43 PM

The monsterclip may be there on purpose to encourage the AI to use the other door.  The updated map was thoroughly tested when it was released in 2.05, without any reported problems in that area.  Before rushing off to change anything, we need to:

One. See if anyone else can reproduce the problem (I haven't had a chance to try yet).

Two.  See if behaviour is different under 2.06 than 2.05.  

Ok, so step one. I tested this.  The first time I nocipped to the area, I found three different AI trying to get through the left-hand door.  All of them walked into the empty left-hand door as if there were monsterclip covering the entire thing.  I ran a second test, and sat for twenty minutes watching AI come and go.  All of them used the right-hand door without incident, until after twenty minutes the priest tried to exit through the left-hand door.  He couldn't get through, and none of the AI that came after him attempted to open the right-hand door.

So clearly there is a problem.  It could be that the AI always uses the right-hand door unless someone else is coming the other way, and that is rare enough that the problem just wasn't noticed in 2.05. But I'll test there to be sure.

• Bikerdude likes this
TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#74 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20166 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 03:45 PM

All of them walked into the empty left-hand door as if there were monsterclip covering the entire thing.   So clearly there is a problem.  I'll look into it more.

Good man.

#75 MayheM

MayheM

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 05:12 PM

sorry for late reply. Unfortunately, i am still getting that crash after following your suggestion @nbohr1more.

@bikerdude I have gt 240 using latest driver 342.01

Also like i said before, i've been playing with these settings since darkmod became standalone,playing lots of mission; so there must be something wrong.

Maybe i will try it on Ubuntu later.

Edited by MayheM, 01 June 2018 - 05:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users