Fascinating Unsolved Mysteries

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CarltonTroisi

CarltonTroisi

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 01:18 PM

I know this is The Dark Mod forums, but I figure, who doesn't like a good mystery?

Perhaps one such story could be used for an FM plot?

Let me get the ball rolling, with a case I've just learned about, and it's strange alright:

https://en.wikipedia...Tamam_Shud_case

What do you think?

#2 Anderson

Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1020 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 03:48 PM

Unfortunately most cases are simply a curiosity peeking into anything esoteric just as an instinct rather than anything really impossible to explain. Same as Mary Celeste, sailors dying from scurvy (which they didn't know at the time could be helped just be eating fruits) or people still using asbestos and then wondering where this oncologic epidemic is coming from (especially in Russia but unfortunately still common in households all over former communist countries -  ).

Alas, if there's still samples of the body, new technology can help figure out the mystery instead of people creating nice stories.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

#3 Atomica

Atomica

• PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 02:53 AM

Edited by Atomica, 01 August 2018 - 11:34 PM.

• CarltonTroisi likes this

#4 CarltonTroisi

CarltonTroisi

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 02:08 PM

Anderson, man... that's quite the buzz-kill.

That said, your points are well and understood.

But for now, let's wade into the unknown and speculate.  "Mystery" is my middle name.  Let's get the ball rolling.

#5 Anderson

Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1020 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 03:45 PM

Fair enough. Just wanted to get things straight, set out limits enunciating reaonable boundries for seeking out mysteries.

But just for the record - still nobody knows why Edgar Allan Poe died.

Edited by Anderson, 25 July 2018 - 03:46 PM.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

#6 stumpy

stumpy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1798 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 07:39 PM

The Somerton Man might be Polish, as in nearly half the country of poland moved to the uk near the start or just before the start of the 2nd world war, some went to america and some emergrated to Australia after the war.

#7 NeonsStyle

NeonsStyle

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1379 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 11:58 AM

Huh, I've got to admit I've never heard of the Tamam Shud case and I LIVE in Adelaide. Goes to show just what famous stuff you don't know about your city/town.

I'm not sure how one could incorporate it into a TDM mission since the setting is so wrong, but since we're posting unsolved mysteries: https://en.wikipedia...ki/D._B._Cooper

Same here, I live in Adelaide too, never heard of it. Beaumont children yes. 

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedar...2017-update-16/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users