Photo

Problem: how to remove/add a rope/chain on an elevator - new entity required (func_add)!

6 replies to this topic

#1 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19974 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 04:02 AM

So we have a situation where we have some chains/ropes attached to the top of a moving elevator, and is there is a room above the elevator. How do we remove/add the chain/ropes so they done poke into the aforementioned room when the elevator is at its highest position. So one rough idea was -

• make the chain/rope in multiple parts, so we only have to remove the upper most part that pokes into the room.
  • target said parts with a "func_remove" from the "atdm:mover_multistate_position" to remove the 'chain parts' when the elevator is at it high position

The issue with the above proposal is we don't have a func_add entity, which I could use to put the 'chain parts' back.

#2 Dragofer

Dragofer

Modeler

• PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 08:26 AM

Could use a nodraw skin to make it invisible & nonsolid when that's needed.

To trigger the skin change you could set up a trigger response on the rope via S/R to change the skin, then trigger via the multistate_position entity. The buttons to the lower floors could have a frob response to change the rope's skin back to visible again.

#3 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19974 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 09:12 AM

Never been any good with S/R, could I knock up a basic map with the basic part in it so I could see how what your proposing above would be done..?

#4 Dragofer

Dragofer

Modeler

• PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 10:04 AM

Sure, using S/R is usually not as complex as the A-Z makes it seem, which teaches a more unusual usage case than what you normally need.

Here's a test map, stepping onto the platform's trigger gives the lantern a lit skin, frobbing the crate gives it an unlit skin.

For recreating the crate setup (takes 10s when you've done it a few times):
1) Make the crate frobable 1, note down the name of the lantern and its skins.
2) With the crate selected open the S/R interface and go to the Response tab
3) Use the bottom left to add a response towards frobbing
4) Right-click in the right table to add a new effect, then right-click edit that effect. Choose 'set skin', type in the lantern's and skin's name.

For the trigger response setup it's virtually the same, just that the S/R gets edited on the lamp itself because this is the entity that receives the trigger in this setup.

Attached Files

Edited by Dragofer, 05 August 2018 - 10:14 AM.

#5 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19974 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 11:35 AM

Thanks for the above, I will have a look at your little test map and see if I can figure it out..

#6 kingsal

kingsal

• PipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 12:04 PM

I've done something very similar to this. In my setup, the chain links are pretty big so it might not work for what you are doing. 

There is a minor bug in the map where the chain links start visible when they shouldn't be. You just need to activate the elevator once and they will start disappearing correctly.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4tdow3san4v4cob/elevator_test.map?dl=0  

Edited by kingsal, 05 August 2018 - 12:05 PM.

#7 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19974 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 01:36 PM

Thanks for that, will have a look.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users