Photo

Fan Mission: The Warrens (by grayman) (2018/9/1)

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#51 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12679 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 09:28 AM

Spoiler

#52 161803398874989

• PipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 02:57 AM

Spoiler

Also

Spoiler

• Anderson likes this
You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

#53 Thiefette

Thiefette

• PipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 02:46 PM

Finished this up on the weekend and really enjoyed it (replayed the whole series just because). 

Spoiler
All in all a great mission. I look forward to the next  installment. Thanks for all your hard work.

• Anderson likes this

#54 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12679 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 03:26 PM

Great!
  • Anderson likes this

#55 GUFF

GUFF

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 11:19 AM

Spoiler

It's just random ...

Spoiler

I agree though that there's not much in terms of clues. It's just that when you reach the correct point you'll find all you need.

#56 esme

esme

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 12:17 PM

That was gorgeous, lots of twisty, turny little alleys with the odd wide open space, lots of blind corners and some non obvious rooftop access as well, nicely designed, I can well believe it took 4 years

Once I figured out who the bad guy was

Spoiler

As soon as I spotted him I gassed him & dropped him in the canal

Spoiler

Nice little tribute to Sir T as well

Quick question. is there a way to turn those players off again ?

I had a bunch of cylinders & I had to wait for each playback to finish before trying the next, I probably missed something simple there

Excellent mission

Edited by esme, 21 September 2018 - 12:18 PM.

#57 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12679 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 07:27 PM

Spoiler

• Anderson likes this

#58 SuaveSteve

SuaveSteve

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 03:35 AM

Excellent detail, as usual.

I appreciated all the stories the player could piece together; but I couldn't help but feel the map was screaming for more side quests. Perhaps that's just my preconceived notions of what to expect from large missions.

Now that you've let loose the next mission is a bank job, I must ask you to hurry the hell up, it's my favourite type :)

#59 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 37376 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 06:41 PM

Finished this today.

What a terrific mission!  The city looked gorgeous--I think this is the best-looking city mission to date. Great texture choices.  Terrific mix of modules and brushwork.  I couldn't help but stop and take pictures of things, including some terrific sets of stone steps, and that awesome interior wall piece with the peeling wallpaper.  Lots of nooks and crannies and although everything was twisty and maze-like, I could usually tell pretty easily where I was on the map.  I never felt lost.

Spoiler

Thanks for another enjoyable experience!

TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#60 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12679 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 07:01 PM

One thing that continues to plague me is tool/weapon counts. I've never been able to master this aspect of a mission, so I just take a best guess and hope it works out.

Spoiler

Glad you liked it. The models really provide a step up in mission quality, IMHO. Thanks for making them.

#61 Abusimplea

Abusimplea

• PipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 09:15 PM

One thing that continues to plague me is tool/weapon counts. I've never been able to master this aspect of a mission, so I just take a best guess and hope it works out.

My experience as a blackjacker that finished all but a few missions available though the ingame downloader on difficult:

Most missions are pretty okay at hardest difficulty if using only the blackjack, lockpicks and rope arrows. The spyglass and lamp improve life a lot and there really is no reason to not give them to players. The compass is rather useless in most missions but it also does not hurt giving it to players. Same for the sword - that is also used to finish off knocked out assassination targets (always knock out your targets first to avoid the insult *g*).

When it comes to consumables, i would (on hardest) default to

- three to five broadheads (they are lightweight, cheap and good for remotely triggering actions)

- two water arrows (they are pretty usefull from time to time but look bulky)

- one or two noise makers (for when someone wants to get through with a perfect stealth score - otherwise he could just jump or throw around stuff until the AI starts moving)

- mission-specific stuff like rope arrows or holy water as needed (assume that the player recollects rope arrows after use).

I would also add two odd pieces of equippment, that are not needed or even useless in the mission.

- The flash bomb/mine (pretty useless)

- A moss arrow (convenient sometimes)

- A health potion (nice if rope arrows are scarce and targets are high above ground)

- Another noisemaker

- Another water arrow

- Holy water (useless if there are no undead in the mission)

More broadhead/water/rope/moss/noisemaker arrows could be stored at appropriate spots. Of other equipment one or two to find in the mission are more than enough most of the time. Also don't forget, that the player can reuse his broadheads used for killing AI. And each archer AI provides an additional broadhead.

Gas arrows are only needed if there are elite guards or other unknockable AI. But if you play on hardest some ghosting abilities are expected - so if the elite guards are easily avoidable there is no need to hide more than the odd gas arrow in the alchemist's workshop.

The loadout at start and what can be found in the map should obviously be more generous for medium and easy difficulties...

#62 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12679 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 11:14 PM

Thank you for that rundown.

#63 kingsal

kingsal

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 11:13 AM

Hey Grayman- Thanks for the incredible mission. I agree with Springheel - this is one of the best looking city missions I've played. I loved the variety of architecture and the overall tone and feel of the warrens.

Spoiler

I hear the next mission is already in the works. I'm definitely looking forward to it!

Edited by kingsal, 24 September 2018 - 11:14 AM.

• Anderson likes this

#64 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12679 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 06:17 PM

Spoiler

Glad you liked it!

• Anderson likes this

#65 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 37376 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 07:35 PM

Spoiler

TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#66 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12679 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 07:49 PM

Spoiler

#67 kingsal

kingsal

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 09:29 PM

Spoiler

Same scenario for me.

#68 Dead Rat

Dead Rat

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 12:43 PM

Beautiful atmosphere in this one, thanks grayman. I hope we get to explore the Warrens again, with more buildings open for interiors.

I'll be peeping in to the diseased waterfront again some time to enjoy a glass of wine and a picnic while listening to the seagulls  ^_^

#69 Silverflame3

Silverflame3

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 06:09 PM

Hey guys, somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but there was some mention of sudden fps drops throughout the mission, and I noticed that I was experiencing severe fps drops around some specific models used in the map. Specifically, while looking at the wooden doors and windows models, such as the doors right at the start of the mission where you pick up the map and the windows used around the lighthouse. Are those Sprignheel's custom models that were at some point criticized for using too much CPU while being drawn in line of sight?

Don't get me wrong, it was a fun little mission, one I enjoyed a lot. Cool atmosphere, a chilling villain with his creepy hidden base, and a dozen little connected stories of personal misery that tie in quite well with each other (like all the fuss with the docked ship and how it affected the whole neighborhood).

The design of the docks made no sense to me at first, but then it got me wondering. The way the docks are made makes no sense for a lighthouse to be placed where it is, but then again, it could be that he lighthouse was older than the current design of the docks, and at some point as the docks were built around in a different fashion, it was no longer needed and got replaced with a new one on a different position, one we cannot see but can presume is there since there is an opening through which ships can still come in and leave. That would explain to me at least why the top floor room of the lighthouse was all bricked up.

Grayman, am I just musing too much at 1 in the morning or is there some specific reason why is it made that way (other than saving processor time it would take to load a fully developed model of a coast instead of a blank white wall)?

#70 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12679 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 06:33 PM

It is what it is. Some things in the Warrens make sense, some don't.

I wouldn't spend too much time over-analyzing this mission.

#71 Amadeus

Amadeus

• PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 06:40 PM

I finally had a chance to play this today and I gotta say, excellent mission grayman! The unique city layout and the immense amount of exploration you get to do was wonderful and refreshing. Can't wait for the next installment ;)

#72 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12679 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 06:44 PM

Great! Glad you enjoyed it.

More missions in the works.

#73 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 37376 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 08:03 PM

Specifically, while looking at the wooden doors and windows models, such as the doors right at the start of the mission where you pick up the map and the windows used around the lighthouse. Are those Sprignheel's custom models that were at some point criticized for using too much CPU while being drawn in line of sight?

Individual models by themselves aren't going to cause severe FPS drops unless they're being hit by a large number of lights.  I didn't notice any performance problems, personally.

#74 Taquito.

Taquito.

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 08:48 PM

Just started playing this mission. The map is stunningly beautiful and the whole scale and design seems impeccable.

#75 Ladro

Ladro

• PipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 04:45 PM

Simply beautiful mission!

I started now the mission, it's an incredible city, and what a story!

Thanks a lot Grayman, you made my day with this! :-D

Edited by Ladro, Yesterday, 04:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users