The Dark Mod Forums

Lights have packed up

Ravenhook

Sorry about this but I'm having another problem, I decided that I would now take the plunge and start mapping, I made a good start with prefabs and models and only used 1 brush, I then added an amdient light and a streetlight model that I used before that was pre lit, using F3 it showed the light was working but the alarm bells started ringing when I used light inspector and Omni was faded out, projected was selected but none of the functions in the right hand pane were usable. No prelit light source works in game.. do I throw the computer out of the window and become a monk?? or do I uninstall Dark Radiant and reinstall it?. Thanks Peeps.

Many light entities come with their own model. When they do, you can't see the light in the editor (because it only gets added when the game is run).

You can run your map in game to see it, but you'll need more than one brush to seal the map, presumably.

I used a sealing box around the whole map, the light I used was Models>lights>non extinguishable>streetlight and under the + I selected lit....pitch black in world.....GAHHHH....while writing this I know what I did wrong...ENTITY, not Model....Sorry, I'll join the Monks.

Using a box to seal the map is a really bad idea. It might seem to fix the problem of the map leaking, but it prevents the map compiler from properly optimising the map by removing unseen geometry.

The correct way to avoid leaks is to use grid snapping to ensure that all of your external brushes are tightly snapped together, and use the pointfile functionality to identify the location of a leak when you do get one.

• Like 3

Also, at some point you'd probably move away from entity lights, at least for static lighting, so you can have greater degree of control over it (model and light entity separately). You can also use stock TDM light entities as a guideline, or for stuff like movable candles.

• Like 1