I started "A New Job" and the problem was there.
Since I'm working on the keyhole addition, I'm building my own binaries, so ...
I deleted my binaries.
I updated to the current SVN binaries and assets.
I started "A New Job" again and the problem was gone.
I then updated to the latest source and rebuilt the binaries w/ my keyhole changes.
The problem returned.
So now I suspect something I'm doing is causing the problem, though I'm not working anywhere in the area of icon presentation or the painting of the compass.
I'll post a bugtracker for myself and get back to it when I can.
Btw, my r_fboResolution is "1" throughout all this.