Missions for good performance?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Zen3001

Zen3001

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 05:27 AM

I'm stuck with a craptop, and can't run everything, I allready looked up the wiki page about performance so please don't spam it in this thread. Missions like st. lucia run ok with some fps drops sometimes in the outside areas but it's playable since most of the tension is inside. Not looking for much detail but it would be cool if the creator somehow still managed to make it look pretty.

• Anderson likes this

#2 Spooks

Spooks

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 05:37 AM

Naturally, older missions would have less details in them, if there is a way to sort FMs by release date (either on the wiki page or on the website's mission page) that might help. It's harder to pull up missions with good performance from memory, much easier to do for missions with bad perf, lol. Um, I guess Spoonman's levels? I've noticed that all of his builds are quite elaborate but all built out of relatively simple brushwork, so I think you'll have luck with running his FMs. They're fun to boot, as well. Fullmoon Fever can get choppy outside, but I think both The Ravine and KotM are good.

• Zen3001 likes this

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016)

Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes!

#3 chakkman

chakkman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1046 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 06:24 AM

Naturally, older missions would have less details in them, if there is a way to sort FMs by release date (either on the wiki page or on the website's mission page) that might help.

Here you go, start at the bottom: http://www.thedarkmo...ort=releasedate

I think there's a few missions which got updated or partly rebuilt for newer TDM versions, thus will use more CPU than the original releases. Tears of St. Lucia is such a case, if i'm not mistaken.

• Anderson and Zen3001 like this

#4 cavador_8

cavador_8

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 10:39 PM

Have you tried the new advanced video setting... multi core enhancement? I believe it is new with version 2.06. I can play any mission now at 4k resolution at 60fps with this setting on. 

#5 PsymH

PsymH

• PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 04:18 AM

Have you tried the new advanced video setting... multi core enhancement? I believe it is new with version 2.06. I can play any mission now at 4k resolution at 60fps with this setting on. 

Just curious: What is your system?

#6 cavador_8

cavador_8

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 08:50 AM

I have a gtx1080 with 16gb ram and a i7-4790k processor.

#7 Anderson

Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1119 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 11:53 AM

Try these settings too.

http://forums.thedar...ownsize-in-206/

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

#8 Zen3001

Zen3001

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 01:00 PM

Try these settings too.

http://forums.thedar...ownsize-in-206/

nope, just looks worse and didn't change anysthing performance wise

#9 Anderson

Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1119 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 01:04 PM

nope, just looks worse and didn't change anysthing performance wise

http://forums.thedar...rsus-tds/page-2

Also the image downsize can be set to a lower minimum.

It helps performance proportionally to the lower image downsize number.

Edited by Anderson, 06 December 2018 - 01:28 PM.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

#10 Abusimplea

Abusimplea

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 01:25 PM

I would try the following: Start at the bottom of the list linket by chakkman.

After each mission's first start, play until reaching an open area or window to an open area and turn your head - if it is too laggy, continue with next mission - else continue playing the current mission.

No matter how lousy your hardware is - there probably are missions wich will run just fine (around 30 FPS) without reducing texture size. In a few you might even be able to use soft shadows for a significant immersion boost.

In general, old mansion missions or dungeon crawls without or with a mostly unlit exterior should be fine.

Also, try to extinguish lights, keep doors and windows closed and blackjack or kill all AI to improve performance.

• Anderson likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users