• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Diego

Diego

Modeler

• PipPipPip
  • 1223 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 03:32 PM

I have been playing this lately and I thought the lot of you would appreciate it as well.

https://store.steamp..._the_Obra_Dinn/

Made by the same guy who made Papers, please. It's a mystery solving kind of game that actually feels like you are solving something. I have always been frustrated by how tough it is to gamefy mystery solving. I won't go into details because this is one of those games better experienced knowing little to nothing about it. But I highly recommend it! I'm still playing by the way, so no spoilers for me if you already finished it, please.

#2 Skaruts

Skaruts

• PipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 07:49 PM

I heard nothing but praise about this game so far. And I've seen nothing but praiseworthiness too. Lukas Pope really brings Art into Game Development.

;)

Edited by Skaruts, 21 October 2018 - 07:52 PM.

#3 Anderson

Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1169 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 12:37 PM

The developer of Papers, Please did not care to make his game work on my laptop with old videocards. How is that even possible with those graphics?

Not like he has to but, I had a reasonable expectation it would work.

Edited by Anderson, 22 October 2018 - 12:38 PM.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

#4 Skaruts

Skaruts

• PipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 01:37 PM

Is there anything he could do to workaround the limitations of the framework he used? He made Papers, Please on Haxe/NME.

I would probably have no clue how to work around that. I'd know Haxe enough to make games in it, and that'd be it. :)

I don't know the extent of his knowledge, though.

#5 jaxa

jaxa

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1402 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 05:54 PM

The developer of Papers, Please did not care to make his game work on my laptop with old videocards. How is that even possible with those graphics?

In other words, you must use a modern, spy-backdoored CPU in order to play Papers, Please.

#6 Diego

Diego

Modeler

• PipPipPip
  • 1223 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 11:56 PM

One would think a two color renderer would be cheaper but it's definitely an aesthetic choice. It's probably done with post processing shaders so it's actually more computationally expensive than traditional rendering.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users