Not much to say, just look at these picturesbSIi45p.png

8eh6UlA.png

#2 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 37406 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 02:34 PM

You may want to say a bit more.  What (is/is not) happening that you (think/don't think) should happen?

TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#3 Zen3001

Zen3001

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 02:53 PM

A part of the texture of the stair isn't being rendered, instead I see the sky being rendered there

Edited by Zen3001, 23 October 2018 - 02:54 PM.

#4 OrbWeaver

OrbWeaver

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7516 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 03:32 PM

I don't see any sky in that screenshot. Can you render it with more in-game lighting so that we can see the textures more clearly? It's an extremely dark image (as in-game images often are when posted on a forum).

#5 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 37406 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 03:34 PM

It looked totally black when I saw it at work.  At home I can at least make out that it's stairs.

TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#6 jaxa

jaxa

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1330 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 04:12 PM

I can see it, not very well, but the issue appears to be on the side of the second step from the top.

#7 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12701 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 04:56 PM

This appears to be common with 2.06. I have 4 places in my current WIP where this happens. There used to be 6, but 2 have worked themselves out over the past week w/o me doing anything specific to overcome them.

My best advice short of someone fixing the problem in TDM is to live with it until you're about to enter beta test. If the problem is still around, or has moved elsewhere, you can convert the offending area to a model, or cover it with a separate patch.

• Springheel likes this

#8 demagogue

demagogue

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5408 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 09:33 PM

My first idea is that messy brushwork flubs the render so you get black like that along a seam usually from the bad brushwork. That typically means building off of the grid, like a tiny sliver of brush sticks out, there's a tiny overlap of two brushes, or a tiny gap between two brushes, or two brushes meet at a tiny angle, or any combination. The solution is to rebuild the thing on the grid with cleaner brushwork. Or like grayman said, convert it to a func_stat as it doesn't look like it has to be sealing anyway.

Posted Image

#9 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12701 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 10:03 PM

While this is true, none of the problems Im seeing are from messy brushwork. These are on-grid faces, no slivers. And as I mentioned, some fix themselves with no changes.

Converting to a func_static might not fix the problem; converting to a model always does.

#10 rich_is_bored

rich_is_bored

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 12:46 AM

I'd be curious to see a wireframe of what that section looks like with r_showtris.

During compilation the engine is looking for ways to simplify and optimize brushwork. It's culling away surfaces that won't be seen. It's merging bits with the same material, texture alignment, and normal. Then it's trying to figure out how to triangulate what is left. Sometimes the compiler gets it wrong. There's no real way to avoid that short of constructing the bulk of your map out of models where you can explicitly specify how the resulting mesh should be constructed.

You might however be able to coerce the compiler into doing a better job by building the staircase, or even just the problematic portion, in a different way. Here's a few examples with a mock-up of the original on the left...

Jw6XKn5.png

#11 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20223 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 02:25 AM

The other work around for this os to make step tops FS,

So in this instance I would use the third method show in Rich's image above, where the small step-caps and triangular parts are made FS. Then because Ai and the player tend to trip over the little bits of the cap that jut out, you make the whole FS non-solid and then place simple nodrawsolid brushes of the matching material, (stone, wood, etc) where the triangular parts of the steps are.

I can make a little video for you if you like.

#12 HMart

HMart

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 06:49 AM

That looks to me like dmap causing a bad cut in the geometry at compile time, perhaps if you manually cut the last big steep at the top level of the smaller one touching it?

Something like: 

____|___________|

|      |                       |

|___| ___________|

#13 Zen3001

Zen3001

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 10:00 AM

So you can see this more clearly...

zCOQ8MP.png

TXSHpnD.png

Here's how it looks with showtris

rdCxFUM.png

Or like grayman said, convert it to a func_stat as it doesn't look like it has to be sealing anyway.

How?

#14 Amadeus

Amadeus

• PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 10:16 AM

To convert to a func_static, simply select all of the brushes that you want to become one func_static, right click, then scroll down until you see convert to func_static in the drop down menu. It looks like you can convert that entire staircase into one func_static, because as grayman said, it doesn't look like its a sealing brush

Edited by Amadeus, 24 October 2018 - 10:17 AM.

#15 HMart

HMart

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 12:43 PM

That last pic shows that dmap created a n-gon (geometry with more than 3 edges). Everything should be triangles (geometry with 3 sides) showing that you need to cut that stairs manually until that doesn't happen (or someone on the engine team finds why dmap breaks down on that).

Not saying that it doesn't but why converting to a func_static would solve bad dmap triangulation?

#16 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12701 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 01:35 PM

Again ...

I didnt say to convert it to a func_static.

I said to convert it to a model.

A func_static can still have the missing tris problem.
  • Springheel and HMart like this

#17 Skaruts

Skaruts

• PipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 11:51 PM

@Zen3001, could you share the map? (question for others: should he share both the .map and .darkradiant, or is just one of them enough?)

Could you maybe also share your dmap log for comparison?

(to get the dmap log in a text file use the console command clear first (to get rid of unnecessary garbage), then dmap your map, then do condump dmaplog.txt. Then share the content of dmaplog.txt -- dmaplog.txt is an arbitrary name, you can call it whatever you want. You can check the condump command here, near the bottom.)

Edited by Skaruts, 25 October 2018 - 12:09 AM.

#18 Zen3001

Zen3001

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 09:27 AM

Here's the dmap log

Spoiler

Converting it to func_static didn't help but instead of rendering the skybox there's just an invisible triangle that allows me to see the wall behind it.

#19 stumpy

stumpy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1858 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 10:01 AM

something in dmap is causing triangles to be recorded in the proc file the wrong way round, usually corners in triangles are recorded as 0,1,2 but where the triangle seems to be missing its being recorded as 2,1,0.

If you go inside the box with the missing triangle you can see it drawn on the wrong side of the box, eg the inside of the box, and not the outside.

• ERH+ likes this

#20 Skaruts

Skaruts

• PipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 10:18 AM

Not just that, it's not cutting triangles below the step (the wooden board), as it does below all the others. That empty triangle should be 3 triangles.

Edited by Skaruts, 25 October 2018 - 10:19 AM.

#21 Zen3001

Zen3001

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 10:21 AM

Jw6XKn5.png

Tried all these and came up with my own ways, none worked, all messed up some part of the texture

#22 Zen3001

Zen3001

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 10:25 AM

Not just that, it's not cutting triangles below the step (the wooden board), as it does below all the others. That empty triangle should be 3 triangles.

I just forgot to change the texture of two boards from caulk to the wooden texture, nothing wrong with that.

#23 Skaruts

Skaruts

• PipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 10:32 AM

I'm not sure that makes a difference. What I mean is that, looking at the last screenshot you showed, the engine cuts the geometry below all the steps in one way, but for some reason it does it differently on just that one step.

#24 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12701 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 10:44 AM

Time to file a bug report against dmap, attaching a test map that shows the problem.

#25 Zen3001

Zen3001

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 10:52 AM

That sucks, I hate writing reports, isn't this thread enough

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users