The Dark Mod Forums

The Messenger (game)

Diego

Diego's recommendation of the week*: The Messenger.

Started playing with zero expectations. I had this on my wishlist but I don't remember when I put it there, so I just bought it blind during a sale and started playing. Man, what an amazing surprise I had!

What I'm about to say would be qualified as spoiler in my book but the trailer and the game description on steam seem quite proud to announce it. But I'll put a spoiler tag anyway. Maybe play the game without watching the trailer or reading the description lol that's what I did and I'm glad I did it.

See, I thought I was playing some ninja gaiden fan game. You move right, fight boss, go to next level. Orders of magnitude easier, fortunately. After a few hours playing it seemed I was near the end. And in my mind I was happy, I thought this had been a good game for the amount I spent. But see, that was like 10% of the game, from there you get a map and it becomes a sprawling metroid-like game.

As a snob and picky gamer it's nice to have more than one contender for game of the year. (Return of the Obra Dinn is still ahead)

Should we maybe make a topic just for game suggestions? I played TWO good games this year so I feel like I'm spamming now.

* More like biannual

I put it on my wishlist so I can get it after I've whittled down my game list. The screenshots don't really sell it, but the "overwhelmingly positive" and the fact you're making a thread just to recommend it say a lot. As for Obra Dinn, my sheer curiosity finally overcame me and I went ahead and bought it and started on it yesterday. Usually I make new games get in the back of the line, but sometimes a game like that can jump to the front.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I also bought it (after removing my graphics card due to problems I was looking for a game that is supported by my onboard GPU) and am still quite at the beginning, but so far it is fun to play. I like that the game does not take itself too serious and has a lot of funny comments.