17 replies to this topic

#1 NeonsStyle

NeonsStyle

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1424 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 09:12 AM

Hey,

I'm looking for a texture with normals and material file for this circular cobblestone. Anyone have anything like it? It's 

a central part of the level and sort of a feature piece so I really need it. Nothing we have really works as a circle. 

I'm also looking for a delapidated alpha jetty/wharf as well which will go around this, and extend out into different areas. 

PavqKcx.jpg

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedar...2017-update-16/

#2 LDAsh

LDAsh

• PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 02:16 PM

This came to mind, if 1024 is enough texels for you:-

https://www.textures...ance0045/127923

#3 teh_saccade

teh_saccade

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 03:21 PM

No, but the spoilers contain how to make one.

Spoiler

If you want to know how to make one yourself - I've outlined the process of how to make something such as in your image (plus the other replies will demonstrate how to get the wharf, plus the value of going outside and taking photos, rather than relying on the internet) in the spoilers and other replies.

Spoiler

Edited by teh_saccade, 30 November 2018 - 12:43 AM.

#4 teh_saccade

teh_saccade

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 03:28 PM

This photo contains shapes I can use for the flagstone surrounds, that I can lift and texture as part of my main input:

Spoiler

Using threshold in PS to grab the shapes (10 seconds) - I can auto-trace the paths (20 seconds) and then simply copy-rotate it around my main motif in AI (2 seconds) before subtly altering each shape so that the surround appears less recursive (2 minutes).

Edited by teh_saccade, 30 November 2018 - 12:42 AM.

#5 teh_saccade

teh_saccade

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 03:35 PM

Those dumb selfies that girls want to take can also contain useful stuff that might be cut-n-paste into a blended pattern.

Spoiler

Texturing software will make it tesselate / tile and it can then used as a repeating texture.

Everyone's got a bunch of dumb selfies that some girl took at one point.

Edited by teh_saccade, 30 November 2018 - 12:43 AM.

#6 teh_saccade

teh_saccade

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 03:41 PM

If a texture is going to be applied to a warped mesh or some primative that isn't flat - it can have the dodgy bits covered up by other textures or objects, which is a handy trick for if looks a bit naff.

Spoiler

To break the recursion, different trees and grass textures have been used. The borders of the rocks have been overlayed with a simple grass-transition texture, to hide the fact that it looks crap at the edges and no-one wants to make a special rock texture for every type of rock to transition to every type of grass.

#7 teh_saccade

teh_saccade

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 03:54 PM

Being obsessive about taking photos wherever you find something interesting is a good habit - count the textures, possible to be cut and skewed, and modelling ideas in this photo (but also the textures and features have been photographed flat):

Spoiler

For example, the texture of the wall:

Spoiler

or some chopped-up wood, for a wood pile in a shed or something:

Spoiler

That one might be more difficult to tile, and would require additional textures for the sides and top - which means making a mesh and having to mess around aligning it - which is gonna be a pain to do.

So a woodpile like this would more likely be made up of the main texture on a plane, surrounded by individual cylinders, that have a front and back face, plus a wrap for the sides.

Doing this means that the object appears to be a big stack of wood, but it isn't a bunch of individual pieces - it's probably only a few dozen instead of hundreds of objects and different textures.

#8 teh_saccade

teh_saccade

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 04:03 PM

Say you need a particular texture, as you are looking for.

Getting away from the desk can mean a nice day out and ice-cream for everyone while exploring some ruins, old building and chatting up the intern.

These kind of photos will be useful for your wharf, because you not only snag the textures from the area, but also have a reference from which to construct the area:

Spoiler

#9 teh_saccade

teh_saccade

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 04:12 PM

Pretty much everyone carries a camera phone, so there's no reason to not take interesting pictures for level design ideas.

Spoiler

#10 teh_saccade

teh_saccade

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 04:18 PM

If you can't find the exact thing you are looking for - there might be an alternative.

Spoiler

#11 teh_saccade

teh_saccade

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 04:27 PM

The techniques are not only limited to texturing

Spoiler

#12 teh_saccade

teh_saccade

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 04:35 PM

There's a bunch of stuff and that's about that.

Spoiler

That's my good deed for the day and I'm going home to play Shogun 2.

#13 teh_saccade

teh_saccade

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 04:36 PM

ps, idk if that's supposed to be water in the cracks of that image or not, but it looks naff cos it's way bright and looks like artefacting.

#14 teh_saccade

teh_saccade

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 04:59 PM

This came to mind, if 1024 is enough texels for you:-

https://www.textures...ance0045/127923

They want me to pay for this, but then let me preview it and download it by right-clicking, save image?

Even the hi-res versions are over-sharped.

Attached File  oversharp.jpg   358KB   1 downloads

Edited by teh_saccade, 29 November 2018 - 05:04 PM.

#15 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 37453 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 05:16 PM

That looks like some helpful info, but can you edit your posts rather than add a new one every time?  Twelve posts in a row is a bit much.

• teh_saccade likes this
TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#16 stumpy

stumpy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 06:01 PM

the thing in the image looks like some sort of octopus, due to its legs looking like tentacles, and not straight legs of a spider or crab.

• teh_saccade likes this

#17 LDAsh

LDAsh

• PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 11:14 PM

They want me to pay for this, but then let me preview it and download it by right-clicking, save image?

Even the hi-res versions are over-sharped.

attachicon.gif oversharp.jpg

Up to 1024 resolution version is free to download if you login and you will have 15 free credits each day.

• teh_saccade likes this

#18 teh_saccade

teh_saccade

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 12:20 AM

That looks like some helpful info, but can you edit your posts rather than add a new one every time?  Twelve posts in a row is a bit much.

Image upload limitations of 500kb per post - couldn't find a way around it without making them all too small to see...

sorry about that.

// (also it's using outdated flash plugin and enabling it each time means the post is blanked in FF my end).

----

// (It's impossible to edit the posts into one with all the pictures, due to aforementioned 500kb limit.)

In retrospect - It would've been better to make a page on a public blog and put it all there with a link.
I'll do that if ever there's a long answer that no-one will read, next time, rather than steamroll.

It's a bad habit of mine to try and make every conversation as interesting as possible for myself, when there's no-one listening or to interject or ask questions like at the uni or on a job. Thin line between passionate and painful, I guess...

Please feel free to remove the posts (and my old mapping thread in editor's guild) if you would like.

Edited by teh_saccade, 30 November 2018 - 12:46 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users