What is this instrument?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Dragofer

Dragofer

Modeler

• PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 05:13 AM

Starting from around 0:30 in this soundtrack there's an instrument that, I realised, is iconic for maritime settings. Anyone have any ideas what it's called? I'd like to have a bit of it for when wandering through my port.

#2 JackFarmer

JackFarmer

• PipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 05:39 AM

I think this is a harmonium.

If I recall correctly, several ambient tracks in Dishonored 2 used it as well.

Edited by JackFarmer, 05 January 2019 - 05:39 AM.

• Dragofer and Epifire like this

#3 Dragofer

Dragofer

Modeler

• PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 08:37 AM

Ah thank you, that'll be the one, and the contraption around the back just made me remember accordions too. Still quite some way for a recording like that to become an immersive background sound, but it's the right path.

#4 Sneaker

Sneaker

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 11:18 AM

Yeah, a single note played on an accordion could do that.  It's effectively done.

#5 Epifire

Epifire

Advanced Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 11:40 PM

I was about to say Dishonored immediately came to mind. Another instrument that could be invaluable to a maritime theme (especially an industrial one) would be the waterphone. Not precisely limited to a horror/thriller vibe but it could go hand in hand for any metalic, underwater, or ambient solution...

You need a model? Epi does you a model.

Toss me a PM I promise I don't bite.

#6 esme

esme

• PipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 08:48 AM

Seems to be 3 ascending notes where the last is very faint is that the bit ?

A mouth organ might do it

Possibly a crumhorn ?

#7 Dragofer

Dragofer

Modeler

• PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 02:22 PM

I was about to say Dishonored immediately came to mind. Another instrument that could be invaluable to a maritime theme (especially an industrial one) would be the waterphone. Not precisely limited to a horror/thriller vibe but it could go hand in hand for any metalic, underwater, or ambient solution...

Indeed, in particular that tone at 0:12 may be gold for an industrial ship. One of those long-distance sounds that could be coming from anywhere within the ship's metal bowels.

Seems to be 3 ascending notes where the last is very faint is that the bit ?

A mouth organ might do it

Possibly a crumhorn ?

Quite an odd instrument, that one. Youtube seems to know it best as the backbone of renaissance music, while Freesound has a handful samples that with a good deal of imagination could be the origin of those sounds.

Now, I've come across some very peculiar instruments that I'll contribute to this thread, both built with the purpose of creating horror soundscapes:

• VanishedOne likes this

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users