5 replies to this topic

#1 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2442 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 07:15 AM

Now that Windows has (finally) implemented a dark mode is it possible to integrate that into Dark Radiant?

A lot of my mapping is usually done late at night and the bright white background of dark radiant is quite blinding, now that Windows has a dark mode it's even more noticeable. If it's not possible to integrate the windows version of this is it possible to theme or change the white areas of DR to be much darker?

Here is a comparison shot between DR and the new dark mode explorer

ftXG8wj.png

And here is my very quick paint mockup of what DR could look like

TxgV7ur.png

• Judith and nbohr1more like this

The Accountant
Part 1: Thieves and Heirs | Part 2: New In town

Shadows of Northdale Campaign

ACT I

Stand Alone Missions
Lord Edgar's Bathhouse | Spring Cleaning

#2 Judith

Judith

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1830 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:18 AM

It would be great to have something like 3dsmax have been using for a long time now:

3dsmax_2010_800px.png

Edited by Judith, 10 January 2019 - 08:19 AM.

• Goldwell likes this

#3 OrbWeaver

OrbWeaver

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7539 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:54 AM

As far as I can see, the wxWidgets toolkit doesn't allow for much (if any) explicit control over theming, but just tries to emulate the native platform theme.

So the question is, which version of wxWidgets is going to support the Windows dark theme. It seems the the latest release is introducing initial support the dark theme on macOS, but I don't see any mention of Windows. Maybe this is already supported in an older release (but still newer than the one DR is currently using), but it's also possible that they haven't addressed Windows at all yet.

#4 Obsttorte

Obsttorte

Scripting guru, Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5757 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 03:12 PM

I am using f.lux for quiet a while now, which may be of help until something changes in that regards (if it changes, of course). Although I have to admit that besides the practical reasons the dark look definetely has something to it.

• Spooks likes this
FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild
WIP's: Several. Although after playing Thief 4 I really wanna make a city mission.
Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches
Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models
My wiki articles: Obstipedia
Let's Map TDM YouTube playlist: ObstlerTube
Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

End of shameless self promotion.

#5 Amadeus

Amadeus

• PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 03:30 PM

I am using f.lux for quiet a while now, which may be of help until something changes in that regards (if it changes, of course). Although I have to admit that besides the practical reasons the dark look definetely has something to it.

I definitely second this. I've been using f.lux for years now and it definitely helps reduce eyesores when on the computer at night.

#6 STiFU

STiFU

Uber member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3443 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 04:41 PM

Windows 10 has f.lux sort of built in now. You can just enable its Nightmode and adjust color temperature etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users