The Dark Mod Forums

Did something change with rendering in 2.07? Projection looks...off

kerrle

So I play Dark Mod at 3440x1440 and have for the past couple years - the UI is stretched, but the actual in-game rendering has always looked fine.

But I just got everything updated to 2.07 and, since then, no matter what I do with FOV the in-game world just looks...wrong. Warped. As though the image is squishing or stretched in a fish-eye manner outside the center of the image. You see it most distinctly when standing in place and just rotating the camera left or right.

I couldn't say when exactly this would have been introduced; it's been probably six months since I've run through a mission. Config is, I believe, basically unchanged:

seta r_customHeight "1440"
seta r_customWidth "3440"
seta r_fullscreen "1"

seta g_fov "90"

seta r_fovRatio "2.388889"
seta r_aspectRatio "0"
As I said, I've tried various settings for FOV with no real luck.
It's hard to explain what it looks like; I can toss up a capture on Youtube if that'd help.
  • Like 1

There were some configuration changes in 2.07 related to resolutions, aspect ratio and such stuff.

If the 3D rendering of the game itself looks stretched, please rename darkmod.cfg to darkmod_old.cfg and restart game.

After that the new darkmod.cfg file will be created, and you can copy the bind commands (that's your keyboard/mouse settings) from darkmod_old.cfg back into new darkmod.cfg.

This is what is usually called "reset darkmod.cfg" and I strongly advise you to do it.

Letting the config recreate itself seems to have fixed it, though comparing the files no obvious difference stands out.

Regardless, thanks for the suggestion.

Also, I note the game successfully picked up my resolution (I'm guessing from the current desktop settings?) but didn't then set r_fovRatio to the correct value, leading to 4:3 rendering being stretched across the full resolution. Has setting that value programmatically when the resolution is set been considered?

Has setting that value programmatically when the resolution is set been considered?

You're right of course

The problem is, there's too few developers and we're all on 16:9 screens

Being the open source community project and all, these issues should be either raised via the bug tracker or signing up for beta testing

Thank you for understanding

Also, I note the game successfully picked up my resolution (I'm guessing from the current desktop settings?) but didn't then set r_fovRatio to the correct value, leading to 4:3 rendering being stretched across the full resolution. Has setting that value programmatically when the resolution is set been considered?

I thought r_fovRatio should be kept at zero, which is the default.

To be honest, the set of such settings should be reduced to r_customWidth and r_customHeight only, with other settings being 0 unless player feels adventurous.

I guess we are not yet there.

Hmm...

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Resolutions

r_fovRatio is supposed to override your aspect ratio setting to allow custom ratios for wide-screen (etc).

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Yes, I remember that.

And since deleting the Darkmod.cfg seems to have worked... It seems to be (working tm) :)

We should probably open a survey thread to see if the auto-configure feature works then alter the wiki

to reflect what we do now.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

It was stretched with the value set to zero; I had to manually set it to 2.38889 (or whatever) to fix it.

I'm actually a software developer (with OpenGL experience) in my day job. I'd be interested in helping with this stuff - I'll poke around the repo this evening.

• Like 3