Cleaning Up the Neighborhood
by some1stoleit, bikerdude
A small-medium sized assassination mission, taking place in a bar and casino environment with streets surrounding the bar.
Crime is out of control in my neighbourhood, when thugs attacked my wife I decided I can no longer stand by idly. Unable to rely on the corruptible city watch and the aloof Builders, I must take matters into my own hands.
My first target is a bar called the Scoundrel’s Rest which is not far from my home. It’s owned by a man named Godfrey and considered neutral ground to the various criminal factions inhabiting the city district. There is no doubt its presence attracts criminals towards my neighbourhood, contributing to the infestation of crime.
Infiltrating the bar not only creates the opportunity to kill Godfrey and shut it down for good but also allows me to find information about the rest of criminal groups that inhabit my neighbourhood.
I gave my thieving days when I met my wife, but for her sake I must take up the profession once more and prowl in the shadows again.
- Your lock picks are noticeably old, so you can’t rely on them to get you past every door. Examine the environment and keep an eye out for keys on pockets.
- If you see a pipe outside, chances are you can climb up it.
- On Rusty and Practiced difficulty settings there's a map available for the bar’s ground level and the street surrounding it.
- It should be possible to ghost the every area in the mission. A small amount of loot however may be difficult or impossible to acquire without knockouts.
- There are a few hidden optional objectives you can discover.
I dislike when I get stuck on an FM and have to leave the game to scroll through forums to find out what to do. I think the mission should be straightforward enough to beat without answers, but I will provide a FAQ if it’s needed. Just be sure to give a good try working it out yourself before reading this.
I’ve found the TDM community very welcoming and helpful as a new member and would like to thank several people.
- Bikerdude, for allowing me to collobarate with him and showing me a different way to build maps from scratch in Dark Radiant, as well as many other mapping techniques.
- Springheel, for his Modules and his retroactive permission to use New Job street segments.
- Amadeus, for doing some proofreading of the briefing and readables.
- Obsttorte, for his objective checking script used for one of the optional objectives.
- Rsoul, for creating new internal version of architecture models.
- Beta Testers:
- Amadeus, Cambridge Spy, Abusimplea, Shadow, Boiler’s_hiss, nbohr1more, Springheel, Judith
- People who helped Answer my Questions:
- Destined, JackFarmer
- Special thanks to Sotha and Springheel whose video tutorial series give me the guidance and confidence to start using Dark Radiant.
I apologise if I missed anyone, if I missed you please do contact me and I’ll credit you appropriately.
About the Development:
Initially this was a solo developed mission made by myself, upon some beta testing I agreed to make the mission collaboration with Bikerdude, with the intention to learn good mapping practices from the collaboration. The mission was redesigning using the same layout as the original but using Springheel’s modules instead of my very simple brushwork, and expanded in scope to include a more detailed street, a canal, a sewer and a rooftop segments. Bikerdude’s use of springheel modules and custom skins is mostly responsible for the beautiful visuals, with my contribution being the layout of areas and the writing.
- None at the moment.
Edited by some1stoleit, 19 February 2019 - 06:55 PM.