The Dark Mod Forums

How do you think original Garrett died?

Kurshok

At the end of the original trilogy, Garrett was seen leading an apprentice girl away for training, having the last bit of Glyph magic burned into his hand. The Thief 2014 reboot suggests that time in the City is cyclical and that there was always and will always be a sneaky hero like Garrett in the City, but I think that just demeans the accomplishments Garrett did in the real trilogy.

It also suggests that Garrett was locked up in Moira Asylum for being too dangerous to the power of the elite, and that he managed to escape but had to leave his mechanical eye behind.

However, even if he got away, there's a point made by the series Shadowcursed, written by one of our own on this site: everyone gets older, and that means becoming frail and unable to do the sort of acrobatic tricks Garrett made his living doing whilst robbing people.

Garrett seemed to be compulsively sticky-fingered, but could he have ever given up thieving for good if he realized his health was preventing him from it? I don't know if he could. In Thief 1 he had dreamed of retiring after one last haul, although he had seemingly given up on that after Constantine revealed himself.

So, what do you believe Garrett's ultimate fate was? Cared for in his old age by his apprentice? Died on the job from his inability to tell when his time was over? Murdered by either leftover minions of Trickster or the rare surviving Mechanists? Or perhaps he left for a better life while he could, like Basso. Maybe he finally found that one big score. I doubt any jail could have held him for long, and it wouldn't be likely he died in an asylum escape attempt, but who knows. I want to hear what you think the Master Thief's fate was.

I want to hear what you think the Master Thief's fate was.

Years back, there was some discussion on this over at the TTLG forums:

Let's imagine: Garrett's death

Garrett's end ?

In that second discussion thread, I summed up some of my thoughts thusly:

As far as Garrett's ultimate fate goes...

He decides to retire in style (but not immediately - maybe he should just mention the idea). He also starts giving the girl more difficult lessons of thievery, so she could once fully replace him.

Hm, and in case Viktoria would show up again for some reason... The two are walking trough the streets at night to Garrett's appartment. The last shot shows their distant silhouttes. Garrett suddenly remarks: "You know, Vik... I think this is the beginning of a beatiful friendship..."

"Years later" title card.

Somebody's knocking on the door. Viktoria opens. She hasn't aged much even after a few decades. The girl, now in her 30s, has come to visit Garrett. The old master thief finally decided to settle down about 10 years ago. He was quite happy with his retirement, though he was always eager to hear the girl talk about her newest succesful heists everytime she stopped by. But now, his health has been fading for several months. This time, it seems that death will be the final victor in theft, stealing his life. The girl and Viktoria quietly give farewell to Garrett. He pronounces his last words with an amused chuckle: "What the hell is a "taffer" anyway ?" His relieved hand slides down from the bed and touches his faithful blackjack on the carpet.

The girl left quietly. That night, while hanging out with her taffer pals, some of the greenhorn members of the band asked: "Is it true you knew Garrett, the fabled Master Thief ? What happened to him ? Did he die ? Or dissapear ?"

She smiled: "No, he's not dead. And even if he was, he'll live forever as a legend. But I believe he's still among us. Doing what he always does... Thieving, making snarky remarks and... saving the City. Don't get me wrong - he never considered himself a hero..."

We see Garrett's silhouette standing on the Thieves' Highway, with the City's panorama and midnight Moon in full glory.

"...but maybe he's..."

Close-up of Garrett's hands drawing his bow. Shot of a rope arrow hiting a wooden beam.

"...a silent guardian...

...a watchful protector..."

Start of grungy music outro, per Thief tradition.

"...THE DARK TAFFER..."

Garrett swings on a rope downwards (like in the TDP introduction). He hits the "camera" and everything goes black. The music slowly fades.

Some memorable shots of him and other characters from the series' cutscenes show up, interspersed with some of the iconic Thievy quotes. After them: The credits roll.

So, my point is:

Old taffers never die. They just thieve away into the sunset...

I still believe in that sort of conclusion. He didn't die, necessarily. He just thieved away into the sunset, like any good legend. ;)

fett of TTLG offered this more cynical variant involving Brother Murus:

Either that or he steps into an open courtyard after dispatching several fire elementals only to hear the dreaded fzzzzzzzzzzz of the one he didn't see sneaking up behind him. Or maybe that's me.

The afterlife: Now an ethereal spirit himself, he can finally track down Brother Murus and beats the shit out of him:

"NEXT TIME GO FIND YOUR OWN USELESS CRAP YOU SON OF A BITCH!!!"

EZ-52 went for a more meta-fictional option:

I'd imagine he would die the same as he always does... Thinks he knows better by judging how concealed he is himself rather than looking at the lightgem, ultimatly makes a loud "Gaaahhhh", followed by a skull appearing. He is then shown his successes and failures in life before being given the strange option to either Show Stats, Replay or Exit.

Edited by Petike the Taffer

Garrett never truly can retire. No social security in those times. Also does anyone know where Garrett got paid for all the loot he stole? And paid in what? Gold? I don't think we ever know how wealthy or poor he was, tho we know he had small "apartments" that indebted him forever to a landlord.

But thievery is his trade, and always will be til the end. So I suspect while he couldn't eventually climb walls anymore and steal massive paintings from mansions, he likely still pilfered loot from passerby guards and from behind taverns when the barkeep wasn't looking, just to be able to eat and pay rent.

But how did he die? That is the legend of Garrett that no one knows to this day. Maybe he never did die, being privy to a number of supernatural elements in his time that could maybe extend his life or immortalize him as was done to the living skeletons and ghouls. Maybe Garrett haunts an old abandoned megachurch that sits upon a gold mine.

Someone should write a new mission exploring this concept!

after teaching that girl everything he knew,

that glyph on his hand starts to itch, he scratches it, it explodes, he become the star consolation 'The Thief'. always hidden in the moonlight and only visible on moonless nights.

so that the immortal thief will always shine down on those that hide in the shadows.

after teaching that girl everything he knew,

that glyph on his hand starts to itch, he scratches it, it explodes, he become the star consolation 'The Thief'. always hidden in the moonlight and only visible on moonless nights.

so that the immortal thief will always shine down on those that hide in the shadows.

Was he living in Tamriel all along?

• Like 2