stgatilov

Lead Programmer

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1707 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 10:51 PM

POPULAR

TDM 2.07-hotfix is ready for beta test

The installation/update instructions are the same as for the recently finished 2.07 beta testing:

Spoiler

This hotfix release is intended mainly to fix serious problems with OpenGL that some players have.

The set of differences with the original 2.07 is minimal.

The hotfix release is expected to fully replace the original 2.07, and be called simply "TDM 2.07" in the future.

Unlike the usual case, this release does not break savegame compatibility.

You can load savegames produced by the original TDM 2.07 in the 2.07-hotfix version perfectly fine: no need to do anything.

The changes in 2.07-hotfix:

1) Fixed GLSL shaders not working on the latest AMD graphics drivers (thread).

With original 2.07, players with AMD gpus had to either set r_useGLSL 0 or to download custom shader files.

Everyone who had this problem: please update to 2.07-hotfix, set r_useGLSL 1 back and remove glprogs directory if you have it.

2) Fixed GLSL shaders not working on some Linux drivers (issue).

The same workaround was used to avoid the problem, which should be reverted after update.

It is also possible that shadow maps will start working for some players (due to this fix).

3) Fixed r_showportals 1 to work properly with Multi Core Enhancement and with subviews (issue, thread).

With original 2.07, it had problems like postprocessing being disabled or wrong rendering of portals.

4) Fixed missing tdm_coals_hot_ns material on some maps.

Notes

The purpose of this quick beta testing is to check if something breaks in 2.07-hotfix compared to 2.07.

Normally, no player should notice any difference after update, except for the aforementioned problems gone.

While reporting issues is always welcome, we will not fix bugs which are present in the original 2.07.

Please try to be specific when reporting a problem. What you were doing, where you were when the problem occurred, can you reproduce it, etc.

This wiki article explains how to locate config file, how to record condump, etc.

Thank you for testing !

• STiFU, duzenko, nbohr1more and 5 others like this

#2 stgatilov

stgatilov

Lead Programmer

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1707 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 11:20 PM

For the record.

The 2.07-hotfix corresponds to svn revisions 8068 / 15668 in release2.07 branch.

The rebuilt version corresponds to 8068 / 15677.

• Anderson likes this

#3 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9501 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 11:23 PM

Working well for me but so I don't have AMD hardware so 2.07 was already fine. :rolleyes:

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#4 freyk

freyk

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 05:33 AM

just a small change, to keep it simple.

Windows, Full install with freyk's installer:
1 - Download the installer from here.
2 - Run the installer. Choose where to install TDM, and maybe other settings.
2 - B. on the last screen, uncheck the checkbox that the updater starts automaticly after setup. dont start the updater, yet.
3 - Download a special tdm_mirrors.txt file and place it into the installation directory (where tdm_update.exe should already be located).
3 - B. start the updater.
4 - At the same moment, enable --keep-mirrors setting. (On the main window, click the "Advanced Options" button and check the first box.)
5 - Proceed as usual.

Edited by freyk, 19 March 2019 - 05:37 AM.

#5 Bluehawk

Bluehawk

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:55 PM

I did a fresh install in a new folder and tested both the 32 and 64 bit executables. Both work perfectly, in both stencil and map shadow modes.

• stgatilov likes this

#6 Bienie

Bienie

• PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 01:03 PM

I'm afraid installing the hotfix might be too complicated for me, since I would have probably have to reinstall completely what with all my pk4's being unpacked. I'm sure others are able to test if the r_showportals 1 command is working as intended in the update, and I will take their word for it. ^_^

#7 Bluehawk

Bluehawk

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 01:21 PM

It seems to be working correctly. Active portals are green, adjacent inactives are red, and all others are are not drawn until you move close enough. No flickering or other visual aberrations on my end.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Here are two screenshots from the beginning alleyway in "A New Job", the new-ish official mission bundled with TDM.

I hope that's helpful. Cheers on the patch, guys.

Edited by Bluehawk, 19 March 2019 - 01:22 PM.

• stgatilov likes this

#8 STiFU

STiFU

Uber member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3573 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 01:45 PM

I'm afraid installing the hotfix might be too complicated for me, since I would have probably have to reinstall completely what with all my pk4's being unpacked. I'm sure others are able to test if the r_showportals 1 command is working as intended in the update, and I will take their word for it. ^_^

You could just download to a new folder and drop the new binaries into your original darkmod folder. No pressure, 'though! ;)

#9 freyk

freyk

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 02:04 PM

and you have only to download and unpack a textfile to your tdm, start the TDM updater, change some settings in it and run the updater. :wacko:

Its not difficult.

#10 RPGista

RPGista

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1664 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 04:03 PM

Downloading now, thanks a lot.

#11 Sneaker

Sneaker

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 05:33 PM

Did an update from 2.07 to hotfix and removed glprogs fix.  Looks good for lights and the maps crash on linux for me.  thanks!

• stgatilov likes this

#12 stgatilov

stgatilov

Lead Programmer

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1707 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 09:59 PM

Did you remove the original pk4?

If they are still intact, you can run tdm_update, check which pk4 are changed/downloaded, and unpack them.

If you deleted them, then you have a bigger problem.

According to my tdm_update.log, only the following files were downloaded during 2.07 to 2.07-hotfix update:

http://update.thedarkmod.com/testing/tdm_base01.pk4
http://update.thedarkmod.com/testing/tdm_models_decls01.pk4
http://update.thedarkmod.com/testing/tdm_shared_stuff.zip

If you download and unpack them over your current files, and you will have hotfix version.

Here is the list of individual files changed from 2.07:

ExtLibs.dll
ExtLibsx64.dll
TheDarkMod.exe
TheDarkModx64.exe
thedarkmod.x64
thedarkmod.x86
glprogs/interaction.fs
glprogs/interactionA.fs
materials/tdm_models_fireplace.mtr

But in your case it makes sense to avoid the beta-testing now and do this manual update only when the hotfix version is finally released.

• Anderson likes this

#13 duzenko

duzenko

Uber member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2276 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 12:38 AM

Did an update from 2.07 to hotfix and removed glprogs fix.  Looks good for lights and the maps crash on linux for me.  thanks!

We seem to have missed that fix

#14 stgatilov

stgatilov

Lead Programmer

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1707 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 12:47 AM

Looks good for lights and the maps crash on linux for me.

A good example of ambiguous report :laugh:
So... does Maps still crash for you or not?

P.S. I have got an AMD gpu.
Verified that lighting is weird in the original 2.07, and it is correct in 2.07-hotfix.

• Anderson likes this

#15 duzenko

duzenko

Uber member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2276 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 01:12 AM

A good example of ambiguous report :laugh:
So... does Maps still crash for you or not?

P.S. I have got an AMD gpu.
Verified that lighting is weird in the original 2.07, and it is correct in 2.07-hotfix.

I remember the bug he's talking about. We're calling a GL function we decide not to load based on the missing extension.

It's part of the MESA missing extension issue.

I did a fix for that in trunk not long ago but forgot about it when it came to hotfix.

Can we still include it?

#16 stgatilov

stgatilov

Lead Programmer

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1707 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 01:48 AM

I remember the bug he's talking about. We're calling a GL function we decide not to load based on the missing extension.

It's part of the MESA missing extension issue.

I did a fix for that in trunk not long ago but forgot about it when it came to hotfix.

Can we still include it?

It is already included, check the thread in developer forums.

Let's wait and see what Sneaker says. It is possible that you have misunderstood him.

• Anderson likes this

#17 duzenko

duzenko

Uber member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2276 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 03:00 AM

It is already included, check the thread in developer forums.

Let's wait and see what Sneaker says. It is possible that you have misunderstood him.

Right, it's there

Can you build from source code and run in debugger please?

#18 Sneaker

Sneaker

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 08:26 AM

Heh.  All is good.  I don't get a crash when I enable maps.  :)

• stgatilov and duzenko like this

#19 HMart

HMart

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 06:08 PM

Just to report that the new version works for me as well, nice job guys. :) 

#20 Amadeus

Amadeus

• PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:29 PM

Yeah, I'm getting no issues either, and r_showportals 1 DOES work now

#21 Mister_Dolus

Mister_Dolus

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 10:49 PM

Lighting is working for me now in a vanilla Ubuntu 18.10 install. I'll check the podoka PPA later, but I doubt it'll change anything. Nice job guys.

#22 some1stoleit

some1stoleit

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 02:38 AM

Just loaded up new job and lighting works just like it normally should, and so does r_showportals. Hooray, my install works now!

#23 wesp5

wesp5

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 03:22 AM

Did a quick test with this beta to see if the full-white compass is gone, but no luck...

#24 zergrush

zergrush

• PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 11:50 AM

The latest hotfix is crashing on the mission downloader for me. It already happened in the previous version as well. Essentially when I'm halfway downloading a big maps (e.g. the Crucible of Omens), the application will suddenly crash.

#25 ElZoido

ElZoido

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 03:14 PM

Just did a quick test of this version on my system (RX 480 with amdgpu on Manjaro/Kernel 5.0.3).

So far seems pretty good:

maps work with and without soft shadows

stencil works without soft shadows, "ss on" makes all shadows disappear, though.

Had one strange occurrence yesterday - after starting TDM a few times due to resetting resolution and stuff (I had deleted the config file), I suddenly got flickering horizontal black lines, a bit like when you have a faulty monitor cable. They persisted after closing TDM, but went away with a reboot. Might actually be a amdgpu problem, I guess.

Anyway, overall this version seems to work well for me, with the small exception of soft stencil shadows.

Edited by ElZoido, 26 March 2019 - 03:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users