Straight-Up Films Responded

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Kurshok

Kurshok

• PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 03:04 PM

They say the Thief movie is now being made by another studio. That would explain why they weren't talking about it on their public pages, they were embarrassed. They didn't say which studio would be making it instead.

#2 jaxa

jaxa

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1428 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:33 PM

I don't think any of us had any optimism for a film adaptation after seeing what happened to LGS and the subsequent games. Or seeing what happens to film adaptations of video games in general (they tend to be awful).

#3 kano

kano

• PipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 12:02 PM

How would you work the narrative of Thief into a film anyway? Are there such a thing as "stealth films"? From which perspective would you tell the story, Garrett's, or the guard's? Or would you transition between the two at different points of the film?

And yeah, most video game films did poorly, with the probable exception of Tomb Raider and the first Mortal Kombat movie.

#4 Kurshok

Kurshok

• PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 08:46 AM

I lived the Tomb Raider movies, old and new. I actually liked the movie based on Doom. I enjoyed Ratchet and Clank.

#5 kano

kano

• PipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:04 AM

Yeah I thought the Doom film wasn't bad myself. But reviewers weren't so kind.

#6 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12934 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:23 AM

The DOOM movie is getting remade.

#7 chakkman

chakkman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1178 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:41 AM

The DOOM movie was quite good, actually. Not sure about other game adaptions. I hardly watched any.

#8 JackFarmer

JackFarmer

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 01:16 PM

I hardly watched any.

A wise decision.

• chakkman and jaxa like this

#9 kano

kano

• PipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:34 AM

Making a Thief movie just doesn't sound like a wise idea, financially speaking. The Thief series never appealed to the mainstream like Doom, Mortal Kombat, or Tomb Raider. And it has been out of the mainstream for almost two decades, discounting Thief 4, which I understand did not sell well. With Thief 4, they failed to satisfy the purist, old Thief fans, and they didn't bring in a considerable modern audience either.

#10 jaxa

jaxa

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1428 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:35 PM

I would compare it to this film:

https://en.wikipedia...ood_(2018_film)

Could it be moody, atmospheric, true to the first 2-3 games, and a smash hit? Maybe. But more likely it will be a flop.

#11 Shadow

Shadow

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:13 PM

The Assassin's Creed film was pretty much regarded as not good, yet it still made some decent money and with 2 sequels planned, Thief does have a chance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users