The Dark Mod Forums

Episode Iii

oDDity

I kinda liked this in that we learn Darth Vader was particularly special from a very early age.

Special is one thing. Being allowed to enter a race where half of the (adult) contestants die is just stupid. An eight-year old destroying a capital ship is stupid. A high-ranking jedi sitting back and totally relying on a grade 3 student to get them out of their problems is stupid.

And giving blindfolded five-year olds a light sabre and standing them all next to each other is stupid beyong comprehension. One slight slip and the kid in front of you is cut in half.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And giving blindfolded five-year olds a light sabre and standing them all next to each other is stupid beyong comprehension. One slight slip and the kid in front of you is cut in half.

That and they are kids, imagine playtime oh the carnage! :blink:

If you judged Episode III by the standards of regular films it would seem appalling, but as it is its more Star Wars than the series has ever managed before. The acting is rubbish, its has ridicilousness frothing out of every pore in its flimsy body, but that is what is great about it. It's like watching crap Monkey! episodes at one in the morning with your mates. You don't expect anything from it and laugh at how charmingly awful it all is. :lol:

just saw it yesterday - what a letdown. :huh:

don't know what i expected really - but after all those rather favorable rviews i was hoping it'd be better.

george lucas clearly has no idea whatsoever about strorytelling and directing.

to sum it up: a senseless and ceaseless onslaught of (rather bad) cgi that leaves one utterly bored and wishing for a halfway decent story and real characters.

kind regards

gleeful

Special is one thing.  Being allowed to enter a race where half of the (adult) contestants die is just stupid...

Hmm, oh well. I guess we just have two different viewpoints on it. I personally enjoyed seeing tangible evidence of why Anikken (sp?) is so special. Having him just be a normal 8-year old boy wouldn't do much to convince me that he should some day become Darth Vader. Palpatine would have no reason to take him under his wing if he wasn't so gifted.

And giving blindfolded five-year olds a light sabre and standing them all next to each other is stupid beyong comprehension.

You *do* understand Jedi are different from the rest of the normal schmuck's out there in the universe, right?

If Ani was too young, then don't you think Yoda's too old to be a powerful Jedi doing the stuff he's doing? You must not buy into the Yoda thing either...

You either buy into the whole Jedi thing and accept they can be quite gifted, even at early ages, or you don't. This can be similar to your magic arguments for Thief: you either buy into and appreciate the magic & physics thereof, or you don't. If you don't, fireballs eminating from someone's fingertips can look just as rediculous as a very gifted 8-year old boy winning a Pod Race.

Call me a cynic, but I just think they put the pod race in the movie so they could market the pod racing game. In fact, most of the action sequences in these movies remind me of watching someone play a video game. (Oh no, now you have to dodge the giant sea monsters while racing thru the center of a planet in your submarine... oh no, now you have to jump from floating platform to floating platform over the lava!!)

Edited by Ishtvan

I got that feeling during the ending light saber sequence of Episode III, and at other times during the movies. But the same conclusions could pretty much be drawn from any action movie nowadays.

Movie action sequences are starting to look more and more like video games. Part of the blending of movies and games, though, is likely a result of video games looking more and more like movies.

I tyhought exactly the same Ishtvan, it was like looking over someone's shoulder watching them play Revenge of the Sith on an Xbox, and with the kind of plot, dialogue and unconvincing charcaters you'd expcet from such a game.

So basically, everyone in the enitre wolrd despised it except Macsen, who wrote a glowing review of it in Welsh.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Action sequences don't have to look like video games. I'm a fan of the wushu and gun-battles in Hong Kong movies, the Matrix, etc. To me, these exemplify good fight choreography and good direction/camerawork that make the fights more human drama and less video game. (Of course I haven't studied film or anything so most of this is BS, but...) Movies like Hard Boiled, The Killer, Crouching Tiger, Hero, House of Flying Daggers, most Jet Li movies (although I haven't seen Unleashed yet because I was disappointed with all of his American-made movies so far :) ).

I can't really explain it well, but a lot of other movies give a more emotional and dramatic quality to the action, rather than giving the impression that you're watching two sabre wielding 3d models controlled by hyperactive 12 year olds duke it out.

So basically, everyone in the enitre wolrd despised it except Macsen, who wrote a glowing review of it in Welsh.

Yes, everyone. They hate it so much most people have been unable to put into words how awful it is, falling back on stock phrases such as 'It's fantastic!' and 'I loved it!' instead.

Lol Macsen. Actually I didn't hate it either. Quality wise it was pretty horrible, and if your not a star wars fan it wouldn''t be any good, but hey, if you arn,t a star wars fan none of them are that great. Lucas has never been an amazing writer, go back and read lukes ep 4 lines. As a star wars fan I think it wasn't the story that i was really into, more of the places and exxplanation of what had happened before. I loved seeing chewie on the battle of kashyk, the old school x-wings and tie, all of that was nice.

It really was quite horrible. It doesn't matter if it's a Star Wars movie or not. This is 2005 damnit....raise the bar. It really isn't and issue of whether or not the movie is aimed at a younger audience either, I've seen kids movies that walked all over Sith with intelligence and great performances. At least with "Empire" they proved that it could actually have some class and intelligence.

I haven't heard a single adult who thought it was remotely good. About half of my grade 10 students liked it, but even they had problems with the dialogue. When a 16 year old can't buy into romantic dialogue, you know it must really be bad.

Hypercritial? Lol, the poor acting, lack of charcater depth and corny, embarassing script was blatantly obvious to anyone. THe SFX weren't even up to scratch.

Using the fact that it's meant to be for kids as an excuse for making a piece of crap, is beneath contempt.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

They're all shit, but entertaining shit.

I disagree. I think the first two (IV and V) were pretty good. Not great, but good enough that you could forgive some warts and enjoy the experience. Every one since then has gotten worse. Now they're just one big, puss-filled boil.

Ishtvan wrote: Action sequences don't have to look like video games. I'm a fan of ... the Matrix, etc.

I remember thinking a few times during the Matrix movies that the sequences were done for an upcoming video game. Especially that car chase sequence; the one where the guy jumps and slams down onto the hood of the car, smashing it. That whole scene.

Well since people's thoughts on the movie are all opinions anyways, and it seems to be fairly mixed, the only objective measurement is the box office. It already broke the one day total record, and looks to be headed pass the $100 million mark already.

I'm reminded of a line from a recent game: "Do you like this game we play? Well it doesn't matter, cause you've already bought into it"

Also something like this doesn't help sink Lucas' ego ship: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_3/

Sorry for playing Devil's Advocate here :ph34r:

Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

Lol, I was buying groceries today, and they have a big stand on the counter for Return of the sith scratchcards, turn on the TV, and "PLay Return of the Sith the game!! experience before you see it!!" My nephew has a Return of the Sith book he absolutely had to have bought for him at the supermarket. Spend enough money on advertising and you can make anything look good and be successful.

It's pathetic.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Yeah, I would say how much money a movie makes on opening has everything to do with hype and little to do with how good it is.

Well I just saw it an I think its a 3 to 4 out of 5, arguably as good as Jedi. It has some very good parts but it is brought down by terrible dialogue and acting, for example the Emperor could have been in a pantomime for some of it, very bad makeup effects again on the emperor for the office scene. The robot general was bad, ok in the book set before the film he is meant to have a bigger part but he just wasn’t very good.

Some of it doesn’t track to the next films, how could leia know here mother at all? (jedi reference)

But as a turn brain off sit back and expand my waistline on bad popcorn movie I really enjoyed it.

But how did it get a 13 rating with the Jedi temple and Anikin impersonating a torch?

Ewan was the best human actor in it he did Alec G very well imho. But I think yoda was the best actor in it :lol:

Edited by Demigod