The Dark Mod Forums

3D Total Textures

Renzatic

Should we use them?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Should we use them?

• Yes. They're excellent. Go break a leg.
    • No. I prefer we do everything ourselves.
    • Yeah, but sparingly. Don't want to rely totally on them.

http://www.3dtotal.com/

I've stumbled across these during one of my little internet searches and practically fell in love with them at first sight. What we have in these individual texture packs are the perfect raw materials for just about any type of texture we could ever need. As I said to Fingernail, it'd be like the modellers having some basic undetailed human shapes to start with and detail as they please, and could get us to the mapping process in almost a 3rd of the time.

But (there's always a but) it does make us reliant on another persons product, and it does take away a bit of the creative process that we all enjoy. While we still be styling and detailing it to our specifications it's still someone elses hard work we're using. That and the issue of even if we CAN use them in our mod is something we'll have to ask about.

There are pros and cons to using them. The pros being quick, easy, high quality textures that can be bent to our specification with minimal effort (the things even come with bump and specular maps). The cons are...well...it's not our own work, it costs money, and there's the chance that they won't allow us to use their textures in a mod no matter how different they are from the original textures.

So what do you think? Speed and quality or slow and homebrewed quality?

No problem using other peoples work. I'm not precious in that way. Big problem using other peoples work with out permission on the copyright side of things [/caveat]. Remembering that its not just us. We'll be encouraging FM authors all over the known universe to be using these things.

Since the textures cost money would I be correct in assuming that gives us permission to use them in a mod? I don't think I would have a problem using the textures if they were modified, but to use them right out of the box might feel a bit like cheating to me.

They look like beautiful texture sets though. I"ll have tot hink on it before I vote.

I've taken the liberty of procuring some...ahem...preview copies and I can tell you right now that they won't be useable right out of the box. Cept for vols. 3 & 5 they're not much different than what I'd find off of any high quality free texture site. They're HUGE, like 1600x1200 or bigger, most are non tileable, and they're open for extensive editing.

The big advantage of using them is that you have loads of textures in one easy to find spot, but cept for 3 & 5 (which are great for detaling, and would be the ones I'd definately buy) we could do the same with steady camerawork and creative Photoshop useage.

In some ways, yeah. I'll play around with em and see what I can come up with.

Edit: I think this thread seals the deal..

http://www.threedy.com/site/forum/showthre...&threadid=19716

Unless we can find a way to keep other people from extracting them from the .pk4 files, we won't be able to use em. Oh well, I'll still use em for educational purposes.

We might be able to use the dirtmap overlays cuz by the time we're done with them they won't be useable as they were in the disc..they'll be entirely new textures. I'll ask on the 3Dtotal forum and see what they say, if it's a yeah I'll plunk down the $49 and grab it.

Edited by Renzatic