The Dark Mod Forums

Forums Upgraded

modetwo

After some fund raising we were able to get a IPB perpetual license which makes us able to upgrade from an unsecure 1.3.x board to a fully updated 2.0.4 board. Feel free to poke around and look at the new features etc.

The skin is reset to the default IPB one, because the old one won't work on this version. We'll get working on it ASAP.

Happy posting! :D

~m2

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After some fund raising we were able to get a IPB perpetual license which makes us able to upgrade from an unsecure 1.3.x board to a fully updated 2.0.4 board.  Feel free to poke around and look at the new features etc.

The skin is reset to the default IPB one, because the old one won't work on this version. We'll get working on it ASAP.

Happy posting!  :D

Thanks mOdEtWo. I'll send my donation as soon as I get my computer woes straightened out. :) Appreciate all the work you do to keep us going here.

I find it amusing that according to the IBP pricing guide you pay more money to remove a tiny two-line copyright notice than you pay to use the software in the first place.

That's mostly for hosting companies and other firms that can't/won't link to a competiting business on their forums.

~m2

You don't have the old style settings do you? It took me forever to figure out what did what on the stylesheet, and I've since forgotten.

You don't have the old style settings do you?  It took me forever to figure out what did what on the stylesheet, and I've since forgotten.

Yes, the old styles are there. But keep in mind that you cannot use it for IPB 2.x, as lots of things have changed between the two versions.

I can help you out with it. I'll see if I have some time tomorrow. :)

~m2

Bah. phpBB all the way! ;)

Sorry, but phpBB just doesn't cut it anymore. Both vBulletin and IPB are superb community software packages, and are hands down the best ones around. I didn't really like IPB at first, but have changed now. I still prefer vBulletin over IPB tho, but that's probably because I've used it more and for a longer period of time.

:wub:

~m2

Sorry, but phpBB just doesn't cut it anymore. Both vBulletin and IPB are superb community software packages, and are hands down the best ones around. I didn't really like IPB at first, but have changed now. I still prefer vBulletin over IPB tho, but that's probably because I've used it more and for a longer period of time.

I should certainly hope so - it would be sort of embarassing if the commercial offering was inferior to the free alternatives.

I should certainly hope so - it would be sort of embarassing if the commercial offering was inferior to the free alternatives.

Why would it? I've seen lots of open-source/free software that's better than the commercial versions.

~m2

Why would it? I've seen lots of open-source/free software that's better than the commercial versions.

Yeah sure - there is plenty of open source software that is exceptionally high in quality. However if a commercial offering was to remain successful it would need to have at least one redeeming feature that was not present in the OSS version (although in many cases that "feature" is services & support), or perhaps be better suited to a specific task or situation (i.e. Apple Macs are very popular with graphics designers and musicians).

I've tried making some changes to the css style colours, but they don't seem to have any impact on the board. I'm clearly going to need a little hand-holding to get things looking back the way they were.

Logic does not always follow, though, does it? I'm not particularly uptodate with vB/IPD dispute, but IIRC, vB has always been slower for me than IPD. I'd also like to know what's wrong with phpBB? I'm by no means an expert, but it's seemed pretty good, and user extensible...

--

Somethin' fishy's goin' on here... Come on out, you taffer!

~The Fishy Taffer

I'm clearly going to need a little hand-holding to get things looking back the way they were.

No worries, I'll help out.

I'd also like to now what's wrong with phpBB? I'm by no means an expert, but it's seemed pretty good, and user extensible...

It's all about the features and efficiency - not to mention phpBB is resource hungry.

~m2

I'd like a 1-3 mintue window to edit my posts after I make them like on TTLG (in fact this is the only board out of about 6 I visist where you get an 'edited by' message if you immediately fix your message after posting it). I absolutely never use the preview post option for some reason I can't fathom - just habit I suppose.

I don't know who's responsible for these settings so I'll just make an open post here.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

• Recent Status Updates

• Petike the Taffer  »  DeTeEff

I've updated the articles for your FMs and your author category at the wiki. Your newer nickname (DeTeEff) now comes first, and the one in parentheses is your older nickname (Fieldmedic). Just to avoid confusing people who played your FMs years ago and remember your older nickname. I've added a wiki article for your latest FM, Who Watches the Watcher?, as part of my current updating efforts. Unless I overlooked something, you have five different FMs so far.
      · 0 replies
    • Petike the Taffer

I've finally managed to log in to The Dark Mod Wiki. I'm back in the saddle and before the holidays start in full, I'll be adding a few new FM articles and doing other updates. Written in Stone is already done.
      · 4 replies
    • nbohr1more

TDM 15th Anniversary Contest is now active! Please declare your participation: https://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?/topic/22413-the-dark-mod-15th-anniversary-contest-entry-thread/

· 0 replies
    • JackFarmer

@TheUnbeholden
      You cannot receive PMs. Could you please be so kind and check your mailbox if it is full (or maybe you switched off the function)?
      · 1 reply
    • OrbWeaver

I like the new frob highlight but it would nice if it was less "flickery" while moving over objects (especially barred metal doors).
      · 4 replies