The Dark Mod Forums

Wow...

joeljermon

Here is a Gamefaqqer's thoughts on the Dark Mod:

Total Conversion of Doom 3? That might just be the worst modding idea I HAVE EVER HEARD, and take my word: there are very, very bad modding ideas.

Doom 3's AI is nonexistent and the maps work as a single path to a single point. There is absolutely no way that Thief could be ported to it, unless you just want to use arrows and daggers..?

Furthermore, why on earth would they use the Doom 3 engine? Because it's dark and has good graphics? This thing will never be released. Why wouldn't they use the Chaos Theory engine instead? Morons.

Yeah, a bunch of teenage modders are going to create a new AI system, that'll turn out well!

As for your Chaos Theory remark: no, not because it's dark, but because it's basically Thief except with guns, meaning they won't have to build a game from the ground up which costs millions upon millions of dollars.

Most mod projects can hardly get something playable out, much less create their own AI and maps. This one won't be any different. They have models and sketches, wow, big progress, maybe they'll decide how the gameplay will work by 2007, I can't wait!

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessag...&topic=22393887

My favorite part is where he says they should use the Splinter Cell engine because it's "basically Thief with guns."

Edited by joeljermon

Yeah, it's tempting to make a demo video of the AI at work, or simply tell them they must have had some reading comprehension problems when looking at our news page. [EDIT: Or to tell them that splinter cell doesn't even have an SDK], but I'll leave these things up to our PR department :)

Apparently this guy doesn't know the difference between a mod and a TC. Otherwise he wouldn't spout such nonsense. Obviously he would be right if we tried to do a thief style game with a mod. There is nothing in Doom 3 that would properly support this, except the shadows. Since we are doing a TC the situation is different because a TC is named TOTAL conversion because it is supposed to change the facts.

Well, it still is funny to read. :)

Gerhard

I never heard about gamefaqs before. But from what I have seen the amount of threads on a particular game, especially Thief, is so small, that I wouldn't really expect any expertise on any of these games. Another thing is, that there are a lot of gamers, but only a small portion of them are versed in software development, so the expertise on judging which engine would be best for the task, is questionable at best.

After all, which engine to use is not solely decided on the fact wether the original game was similar enough, even though this may seem like a good starting point.

Gerhard

millions upon millions of dollars

That's why there's so many crappy games, people are just thinking of the money. Most of us do this out of love for the genre/time period.

I think the PR department handled that one pretty well. ^_^

I'm going to live forever, or die trying.

Looks like the guy doesnt realize that ID has a reputation of making it's games easy for modders to change for their own use, I would love to see the expression on his face when this thing finally comes together! :)

I dont fear the dark...the dark fears me!

Most mod projects can hardly get something playable out, much less create their own AI and maps. This one won't be any different. They have models and sketches, wow, big progress, maybe they'll decide how the gameplay will work by 2007, I can't wait!

I think this is a matter of projection to the public. You can't start giving out alpha copies just so that the public will acqueisce and notice your progress, but it would be nice to see a minute or two video showing some early gameplay.

And you guys said early 2006, right?

Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

Guest KoHaN69
Here is a Gamefaqqer's thoughts on the Dark Mod:

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessag...&topic=22393887

My favorite part is where he says they should use the Splinter Cell engine because it's "basically Thief with guns."

uhm...

THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS A CHAOS THEORY ENGINE!!!

It's called the UNREAL2 engine, which is a piece oh sh-t because:

NO WATER, NO LEANING, NO LATTERS

just off the bat

we saw how unreal2 crippled thief3

so let's just ignore the ignorant