The Dark Mod Forums

Amd Vs Pentium

AtariThief

I didn't know whether or not to make this a vote thing so I didn't cause last time I got yelled at. lol. But seriously for people who are in the market for a new computer what advise would you give them?

Edited by AtariThief

Im goin to get

AMD 4600+ with Asus Sli Deluxe Motherboard $963.99

2 1gig sticks of Ram (Corsair) $88.50 each

Nvidia 7800GTX pci-express (1) $500.00

Those are actual online prices!

Indisputably the AMD 64 is the better option at the moment - performance, price, power consumption, thermal output are all better for AMD 64 than for P4.

I thought I would be doing myself a disservice by switching from Intel to AMD. Went to an Athlon XP 2400+ a couple years back. But I've be quite pleasantly surprised. I've enjoyed my move to AMD and my pocketbook appreciates me, too. I have nothing bad to say about AMD's chips.

If your CPU fan fails on an intel, it shuts down.

If your CPU fan fails on an AMD, it will literally catch fire, and take your motherboard and who knows what else with it.

A $20 peice of hardware failing seems like a shitty reason to lose $1000's of hardware.

Although they are initially cheaper, you will see AMD enthusiasts spending about $80 or more on heavy duty cooling systems for this reason.

On another note, Mac are stopping making their own CPUs and switching to intel cpus. (Not AMD :))

If your CPU fan fails on an AMD, it will literally catch fire, and take your motherboard and who knows what else with it.

Depends, in my system, if my cpu gets above a certain degree, it'll shut down. I had a amd xp 2200 that i forgot to plug the fan in on, heated up to 100 degrees Celsius (that's about 212 degrees farenheit) and the system shut down on it's own, though that may have been a feature of the motherboard (bless you giga-byte)

AMD's can handle more heat than Intel's though, and are considered better for overclocking, heck that amd 2200 xp, is still being used, and works just fine. :)

http://www.thirdfilms. com

A Thief's Path trailer is now on Youtube!

A $20 peice of hardware failing seems like a shitty reason to lose $1000's of hardware.

Although they are initially cheaper, you will see AMD enthusiasts spending about $80 or more on heavy duty cooling systems for this reason.

On another note, Mac are stopping making their own CPUs and switching to intel cpus. (Not AMD :))

Uhh that function is motherboard dependant. It's called CPU critical tempurature & CPU HALT detection. Just as many AMD motherboards have it as Intel ones.

Spending additional $80 is only necessary for overclocking. The stock CPU fan will cool an AMD processor more than enough to meet die temperature requirements.

Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

I might be wrong but I was under the impression that P4s also have an on-die temperature sensor, and they will throttle down to a slower speed if they are overheating. Regardless, I would still choose an AMD 64 at the moment (it is on my upgrade list), and if you maintain and look after your system properly you will notice the warning signs of a cooling system that is about to shit itself long before it does.

On an amusing note, Intel hosted an awards show where the AMD 64FX won the Intel award for best processor. Those guys at Intel must be on drugs or something, actually admitting that their competiton has better CPUs!

Uhh that function is motherboard dependant. It's called CPU critical tempurature & CPU HALT detection. Just as many AMD motherboards have it as Intel ones.

That is something else again. Intel CPUs still have the ability to shut down when they over heat. Just look at the stress tests (AMD vs Intel) on anandtech.com and tomshardware.com. I even spoke to a local computer technican who experienced this himself.

Yeah, it is independent of the mobo - thermistor on the actual CPU itself.... The one thing the P4 as going for it (my current CPU is a P4 by the way).

I read an interesting article on tomshardware a while back where they demonstrated that the Pentium 3 M chip used in older laptops was actually more powerful than either the fastest P4 or the AMD 64 FX. One of the mobo manufacturers even makes an adaptor socket to convert a P4 board to use the P3 M chip. Apparently it has some architectural advantages over either of the other CPUs that makes it more powerful at lower clock speeds... Hard to get hold of though I think...

I think Intel made a mistake with the P4 - the P3 was fundamentally better, and they could have wrung a lot more performance out of it than they did...

I started playing through Doom 3 again a few days back. It's strange, but I'm actually enjoying it much more on the 2nd playthrough than I did the first. Once you get over the fact that there's nothing revolutionary about the gameplan and put all the other pretenses behind you, you find out that it's actually a fairly fun shoot-em-up.

It's a basic fun video game through and through. Some people critisized it by saying "ooh look, an ammo pack sitting out in the open, I wonder what will happen..." whereas I found myself saying "Okay, guns loaded, lets go collect that armor icon! AAAAAHHHH!!! (battlecry)"

Did anyone notice? Armour. It always sets off an ambush. What is with that??

Any of you guys play Serious Sam? When I'm in the mood for it, it is a very enjoyable game. Switch brain off. Shoot things. Shoot more things. Get ammo. Shoot things. Die. Reload. Shoot things, lots and lots of things. Pickup special powerup. Shoot very big thing that throws balls of lava at you.... Run away from very big thing that throws lava at you and hide until lots of other things see you and try to kill you.... :ph34r:

Heh, you haven't played Serious Sam 2 till you've played it co-op.

Do you know - it compensates for how many players are in by throwing in more baddies? (I think there is some limit to this)

it's the best done co-op mode of any game of its type.

For example, all powerups are yours. If you collect a health, it will dissapear from your screen but will still be on everyone else's screen.

Also, you can set it to have "credits". All co-op players use the same credit pool, so you have to play well to get past each level, rather than standard FPS co-op modes which just respawn you, which equates to unlmited lives and no point in co-op.

And various other cool co-op features. The game is just so slick. It was awesome experiencing those wacky scripted events together for the first time with me and my two brothers.

It's a basic fun video game through and through.  Some people critisized it by saying "ooh look, an ammo pack sitting out in the open, I wonder what will happen..."  whereas I found myself saying "Okay, guns loaded, lets go collect that armor icon!  AAAAAHHHH!!! (battlecry)"

Did anyone notice?  Armour.  It always sets off an ambush.  What is with that??

Yeah. I thought the same of Doom 3. :) It was just some good old school fun and it was very well done too. I think it lived up to what it was supposed to be.