The Dark Mod Forums

City Streets

kfmccall

Ha! Go as large as ye like, my good man. Among the most classic and beloved of Thief missions are sprawling, enormous mansions, complete with secret passages, alternate routes everywhere, hard-to-reach places, and showcase areas.

I'm not sure, but I've seen suggestion in a few places (IIRC) that you haven't played Thief? If so, and you want a quick preview and idea of one of those classic missions, definitely get the Thief 1 demo, and run through Bafford's manor. Anytime there is a "classic TDP mission?" or "favorite type of mission?" or such post on TTLG, Bafford's always gets high mention.

Hmm, now that I think of it, I think Assassins (level 4 of Thief 1) is available in a second demo? That mofo will show you not only a city layout from TDP, but also a huge estate. The city plus manor combo of that mission are just mindboggling - the dark engine boasted some really immense levels.

So, erm, to cut myself off before I talk all day about it: go as big and complex as you like. Really. Any mapper would love the challenge. :)

Edit: Yep, there is an Assassins demo. Here's a link to them all!

http://www.thief-thecircle.com/media/demos/

...with a warning: beware the addiction.

• 9 months later...

actually that was it... should I disregard that room list?

Also: is this mansion for a single mission? If so, is there documentation on the mission specifics? I remember someone wrote up a mission involving a mansion though I can't remember where it was posted.

I'm not sure. I've considered trying the mansion in that post, since it's the most detailed interior/exterior we have, but the room layout looks a bit boring, not thiefy-game friendly. Then again, I've also started two castles so far, three city settings, concept art (the teams) or just hammering away at prefabs, and tons of inspiring photos from the net; and I've gone beyond phase 1 with none of them so far, so my focus factor seems to be suffering a bit. Maybe "the thing" which pulls me into it and holds me just hasn't come by yet.

As far as I know, I don't believe there's any official plans or such for a mansion level at this time, so any concept plan made up would probably be for inspiration/testing/'ooh ahh' factor/asset needs, etc. It's more a matter of, "your concept drawings are awesome, and we have no floor plans for real building interior type areas... would you have interest in doing any?"

So it's free flow, mostly. Maybe it'd be used ultimately, but for now I'd assume it's do whatever you'd like, and one of us mappers (there seems to be a small army of 'em forming :)) will pick up on all or some of it, and make good use of it for the reasons mentioned. I hope that answers your question?

Unless you're right, and someone did do a mansion mission writeup, in which case I'll shutup because I just confused the whole topic. :wacko:

Anyone?

Thanks KF :)

A mansion would be wonderful, preferably a run-down evil looking one >:) Something like the Cradle in TDS but a mansion rather then a hospital.

For specifics, I think something like the mansion in the Disney movie "Haunted House". I think it was haunted house. Well anyways, if you have'nt seen it I'll try and dig up some screenies.

Again, thanks KF :)