The Dark Mod Forums

Fable - Not Bad

oDDity

If you're an RPG fan, there's a real lack of them around until Oblivion and Gothic 3, so you kinda have to take what you can get. Beggars can't be choosers.

This is probably more like Gothic than any game I've played, though it's a lot smaller, shorter and shallower. It's just your standard fantasy RPG nonsense, but defifntely one you want to play if you're a fan of that type of nonsense. IT has a certain charm to it, like Gothic.

Like nearly all games today, it's far too easy. Quests are all signposted so you can't get lost and they all fall under the intellectual capacity of an 11 year old, but that's normal these days as well.

It's quite odd ,that while the age of the average gamer is getting older, they seem to be aiming games at a younger audience - or at least covering all their bases, so they makes it fit the abilities of an 11 year old, and know it will suit the abitites of everyone else by default.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished it a week ago and liked it. A lot. It has so many fresh and unique ideas, is very user friendly, has great atmosphere, nice visuals and the gameplay is smooth and fun. It just has certain something that grabs you and won't let go for a few days.

On the other side, as oDDity posted it's too easy, too childish, too arcade-ish and can get boring halfway through (especially if you try to do all the quests - don't do that, just try to follow the main story or you'll get super-bored soon). Also, the main story is a one big cliche.

Still, my score would be 8.5 / 10.

Another thng I like about it is the save system.

You can't sasve a quest - you can save at any time which saves your charcater, but you can't save your progress in a quest, so if you die 99% in, fighting the last bad guy, you have to do the whole thing from the start again.

It adds little extra spice knowing that failing will cost you, because some of these quests are quite lengthy, you really don't want to die fighting the boss, after having gone throguh seveal zones of all his minions, whereas if you'd made a quciksave just before fighting him, you wouldn't really give a shit if you you lost or not.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Zelda Ocarina of time was like that. (Well all the Zelda games for that matter)

The only way I can make my heart beat as fast in Thief is to limit my saves myself. But then the excitement is ten fold because of the nature of the game :)

A guy from my Uni was involved in the making of Fable :) I can't remeber what part - 3D modeler, or programmer, or something.

Well Fable sounds like a bit of fun. I hope to pick it up in a bargain bin or something one day.

Gamespot has a good review. I wouldn't read the developers or pulbisher website about a game, since they're obviously going to say it's the best thing ever made.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I assume we're talking about Fable: The Lost Chapters here, and not the X-Box version?

I played Fable when it first came out; and it certainly does have alot of charm. The way you can change the appearance of you character based on age and different aspects of his physique i thought was a really nice touch. The overall graphics were great; even for the xbox version, and the storyline (whilst nowhere near as complex or dynamic as the older rpg's) was still competent.

One thing that annoyed me though was the hype generated around it. Molyneaux promised a hell of alot in terms of gameplay and realism; and in the end these were all cut back on its release on xbox. Hopefully the Lost Chapters will give something more akin to what was said about it whilst it was in development.

But it definitely still has alot of features that other rpg developers could take note of; the changing character appearance, the 3rd person viewpoint, the easy to use controls and combat, and the way that your character interacts with the rest of the world. I'd recommend playing it.

Quests are all signposted so you can't get lost and they all fall under the intellectual capacity of an 11 year old, but that's normal these days as well.

It's quite odd ,that while the age of the average gamer is getting older, they seem to be aiming games at a younger audience - or at least covering all their bases, so they makes it fit the abilities of an 11 year old, and know it will suit the abitites of everyone else by default.

Totally. I hate this. It will probably even led to a less intelligent Age of Empires 3. I'm not impressed by the demo

And I just saw a Fable 2 demo for Xbox 360 a few days ago, and it looked cool. But slightly arcade-ish and, again, obviously geared toward the younger crowd -- or at least everyone (covering all their bases), as oDDity notes for most games these days.

But slightly arcade-ish and, again, obviously geared toward the younger crowd -- or at least everyone (covering all their bases), as oDDity notes for most games these days.

This is even more strange, because as Oddity notes, the gamers getting older, at least the generation that grew up with the early games and are much more loyal IMO, and secondly these are the gamers who have the money to buy this stuff.

Gerhard

It's all about maximising sales. If you make a game that not only appeals to a maximum age range of gamers, but also across multiple platforms, then you increase your sales by a lot with very little extra effort.

The mega publishing companies with hungry shareholders to please are taking over, and their single, solitatry area of interest is pure profit, not the asthetic quailty of games.

You might say 'well surely making great games is the best way to increase sales', but that is not the case. All you need for a game to sell well is some transparent generic popular gameplay and a large advertising campaign.

You can run template games like that off the production line like clockwork and make a lot of money.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the 'revolutionary changing appearence of your character as he ages' in Fable.

In practice they just slap a new texture on his face with some brown lines on it to denote wrinkles, and the texturing asnd UV mapping of his face isn't very professional either, I can see definite distortions.

Yes, you do change appearence if you choose to become evil or become good, but it's all just cosmetic, your deeds have no effect on the story at all. There are two different endings you can choose, but whether you had been good or evil in the game, you can still choose either ending.

Having two different endings - either choosing to be the supreme evil or te supreme good is hardly a new thing, Baldur's Gate and KotOR had exactly the same ending choices to name but two.

KotOR did a better job of letting your good or evil chocies affect the game.

- Emil Zola

character models site

If you're an RPG fan, there's a real lack of them around until Oblivion and Gothic 3, so you kinda have to take what you can get. Beggars can't be choosers.

no, they can't.

that's why i picked it up already, figuring that it will be "okay-entertainment" if nothing more (99,9% of games nowadays can't hold my interest for 5 minutes even).

i'll save it for christmas though, as i'm doubtful that oblivion will be out for the pc by then. and i just gotta have my holiday-game. :D

kind regards

gleeful

I think this will, I was playing it for 3-4 hours at a time, and that doesn't happen too often these days. I completed the whole game in 3 sessions - 10 hours - though, which is ridiculously short for an RPG - in fact, 10 hours is short for a shooter.

THe fact it's so easy means you just breeze through it.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Guess what game this thread is about. ;)

But I'm more cautious anyway. I have seen some preview screenshots from some RPG that has been released a few months ago Dungeon Lords. It looked really good and I was happy that there is a new RPG out. When it was released the rating in the mag was not so bad, but the opinions from actual players were totally bad. So I rather decided to download it and take a look first. Needles to say that I'm happy I didn't buy it based on the previous info because it was such a crap that I didn't even play longer then ten minutes, and deinstalled it.

Gerhard

Yeah I meant Fable.

Dungeon Lords - lol, that game was outrageous, they released it aboiut 50 % completed. There literally wans't any furniture in houses, and the whole place was deserted apart from a few essential quest NPCs.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Yeah, but most of the side quests are all tedious 'go to x area and kill everything' which just get really boring, and I was already too strong as it was and didn't need the extra xp or money.

And remember this is the extended verison of the game with extra plot at the end, the xbox verson was even shorter.

- Emil Zola

character models site

• 2 weeks later...

I loved the game, but there is a great number of drawbacks. First - you can't save properly, the game is rather easy, by it's end you have full Strength and Skill at least, some things like marrieges and other are stupid, there is an arcadish and childish look at the game.

But, the game has a fun fighting system, it's great to cut someones head of with the bow, the game has a good atmosphere and is beautiful, you can add a beard or haircut.

May the Abyss rule!

Shadow of the Serpent Riders fan.

you say fable is not bad?..after hearing that it will be a revolutinary game and all that bs and what we got?..speak with green dots,kill red dots..alonside chose a path that doesnt make any more sense than npcs says Hooo istead of Boooo

and look at a loading screen every 2 second..that game is nothing more than a collection of nice models and animation..the game behind it?not bad..yeah..awful..especially after what we've been expecting.

and as i see from the first reviews..blackandwhite2 will be no exception to the overall dumbness that strikes the games nowadays..

And how come such games as DIablo are smarter then this one? This is a game for nice fightingk, that's all.

May the Abyss rule!

Since when Gothic is a fighting based game?

You can block in fable. But the thiefs system looks the best - you have to defend at the exact moment your enemy attacks.

May the Abyss rule!