The Dark Mod Forums

Fable - Not Bad

oDDity

you say fable is not bad?..after hearing that it will be a revolutinary game and all that bs and what we got?..speak with green dots,kill red dots..alonside chose a path that doesnt make any more sense than npcs says Hooo istead of Boooo

and look at a loading screen every 2 second..that game is nothing more than a collection of nice models and animation..the game behind it?not bad..yeah..awful..especially after what we've been expecting.

I wasn't expecting anything, I hadn't read anything about the game prior to playing it. Given the current total lack of FPRPGs, it is worth playing at least, and was defintely a well made game.

I always think that followng a game's production for years before release can only lead to disappointment, since you build it up so much in your mind it can never live up to it.

All my favourite games, I knew absolutely nothing about before playing them.

That's why I'm staying away from Oblivion and Gothic sites. I'm just going to play the games when they're relased and try not to expect too much, but just enjoy what's there.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Gothic you had the skill of fighting, and if you have a high skill, you had to attack with intervals in order for the combination to work. In fable you can attack at any time, that is freer. But if I am to choose between Gothic and Fable, I choose Gothic.

May the Abyss rule!

Shadow of the Serpent Riders fan.

It wan't very realistic though, standing swinging a sword like a metronome. It was also expolitable as well. If you have two handed sword skill you could pin an enemy against a wall and beat him to death without being hit. There was no equivilent skill to using the bow or magic either.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Can someone give me a hint how to do the bowshooting? When I press the assigned key for switching to first person (I supposed that's what they mean by that) it doesn't do anything. And from third person it's almost impossible to hit something. What is the original key for the first person mode switch?

Gerhard

you can more easily shoot from third person than you think..just target your enemy..dont remember the button..than just click..click...click..and you will automatically hit your target every time..

about first person if i remember well you have to hold the right mousebutton..

Wrong. You hold you first mouse. After that, press right mouse. Then move your third mouse forward. Aim at the head. Chop it off. If your enemy is a human.

May the Abyss rule!

I already figured it out now. :) But the saving (or the lack of) is extremly annoying. I don't think that I will really play this through. I already considered removing it from my disk, because of that crap saving system. I guess Odd and Domarius will love it because it "intensifies" the experience. The only thing it intensified so far though is my annoyance, because I already had to click myself several times through several cutscenes and was forced to play a chapter through. All the more reason to allow unlimited saves in TDM. No matter what Dom says, but anytime I experience a crippled saving system I'm all the more convinced that the only proper way of handling saves is to allow saving everywhere, everytime.

Gerhard

Well, I personaly never saved at all - with so many potions and resurection phials it's pretty useless, the only thing that annoyed me is death of traders and I had to do all over again. THe save system reminds me of Turok 2 - you save your position, but monsters are renewed.

May the Abyss rule!

I can't sit in front of the computer all the time. So I had to stop playing when I needed to attend to my kids, and when I came back, it's quite annoying to have to do it over and over again. I know that is no reason for Oddity or Domarius, because they think you either should spend your entire day in front of the machine, otherwise you are not worthy to play at all. ;)

Gerhard

Pathetic. The longest time between quicksaves in a quest is not that long - no more than half an hour, and if you have to leave your computer for a while to attend to your kids you can just pause it and resume later. THe game is so easy it doesn't require saves, I didn't die at all except in the first boss battle because I didn't have many mana potions, and hadn't practiced archery, which comes in very useful for the boss battles, but is useless the rest of the time since all the monsters are melee.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Who was the first boss?

May the Abyss rule!

Stop talking nonsense. You can't choose to break your life up into sections shorter than half an hour, or you'd never get anything done. You go to a movie and you stay for hours, you go to a restaurant and you stay for hours. Andthing worth doing in life is worth doing for a few hours, so there's no point cryng because you have to play a game for more than half an hour without being allowed to save. Games shouldn't be reduced to some kind of meaningless convenience snackfood you can muuch on for 15 minutes in your coffee break, they should be treated with more respect than that. The good ones at least. I don't know why you bother playing games at all since you see them as nothing more than something to fill a 10 minute gap.

Who was the first boss?

It's the same boss, but you have to kill him twice in the Lost Chapters version. (Another idea they stole from Baldur's Gate)

- Emil Zola

character models site

Stop talking nonsense.

I know very well how to live my life, without you telling me. Not everybody is a social troll with nobody to interact with except on a computer forum, so stop acting as if you have the right to choose for everybody else.

Andthing worth doing in life is worth doing for a few hours, so there's no point cryng because you have to play a game for more than half an hour without being allowed to save.

Get a life and get some kids, and see how long you can stick to one task.

Games shouldn't be reduced to some kind of meaningless convenience snackfood you can muuch on for 15 minutes in your coffee break, they should be treated with more respect than that. The good ones at least.

Since this is one of the good ones, it doesn't matter.

I don't know why you bother playing games at all since you see them as nothing more than something to fill a 10 minute gap.

I don't know why you seem to think that everybody has to live his life the same as you do.

Gerhard

Having kids is no achivement. Any cretin can procreate. Chimpanzees, rabbits, slugs...they all do it. That's not the definfition of having a life - just the opposite, it means you have no time to have a life.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Well there are games that can be played in 5 to 10 minute breaks. Other games like Thief are worth more time at once than that. You really need to get pulled into it, like a good movie.

As for fable, a limited save system alone does not make a sub-standard game into a good one. I too, find limited saving on games that I dont' really enjoy, annoying. Such games are ones that i'm just playing to see how something is done or see what's in it, not to seriously get involved like I do with Thief or Deus Ex.

The point is that 'having a life' means having time to do the things you want to do and enjoy. Either you don't want to spend more than half an hour playing a game, in which case your opinion is irrleivant since you're not a gamer and really just play games to fill a spare 10 mintues when you're bored, or you do want to play games for a few hours at a time, but you've disorganised your life in such a way that you no longer have any time to do it.

I don't think games should pander to either non-gamers or people who can't organise their time properly.

They should make games for gamers - people who both want to play games for hours at a time, and who organise their lives so they can do it.

- Emil Zola

character models site