The Dark Mod Forums

Dark Mod.

heXen

Well, that's no good. I've never seen that error before. Do you have WinXP, or WinNT? Just curious, since it looks like it can appear in WinXP. Maybe try the Program Compatibility Wizard if you have WinXP. I've never tried it so don't know how well it works, but this forum talks a bit about it:

http://www.xpforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2700

Hiya,

Have you tried running it under compatability mode

It might just be XP it dont like. Older games sometimes have probs running on XP.

Start > programmes > accessories > programme compatability wizard

Give it a try and see what happens and post back to let us know.

DirectX faq

EDIT: Just got your post, so now know you have XP. Maybe someone else here will know how to resolve if the above doesn't work.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be hyperthreading problem (if you have hyperthreading, launch T2, then alt-tab and open up the task manager (ctrl-alt-delete), right click the Thief2.exe process, and set the Affinity to one CPU or the other (CPU 0 for example). Or could be that safe textures problem. There should be an FAQ on getting it to run at www.ttlg.com/forums , under thief general discussion.

Edited by Ishtvan

Well, I loaded it, but now it sometimes just gets stuck and the only thing that helps is reset.

Graphics are good, about Heretic II/Quake II, quite good-looking, the cut-scenes aren't though.

This is the game I played long time ago - the training is familiar, the canalization and stuff.

The CPU thing helped - it didn't blow of yet!

I'm dying of fear!

Edited by heXen

May the Abyss rule!

Shadow of the Serpent Riders fan.

I skipped them in case they blow up the game.

Yeah, the first level is dead familiar. The drunk guard, with a key on him and a lot of bottles around. I killed him with a club. Why is it called blackjack? And it kills everybody after first hit from behind. I can't get hang of the sword, though. In fact, my objectives say - don't kill anyone. So what, if I finish, with all these guard lying in canalisations I will fail at the end of the mission?

May the Abyss rule!

If you kill someone in a mission that you're not supposed to in Thief 2, the mission immediately ends. I think Thief 1 was the same. So if your mission hasn't ended with what you've been doing, I think you're okay. The blackjack is weapon that only "knocks out" guards and they don't regain consciousness, but it doesn't kill them. It would be considered a "kill" if you shot them to death with arrows or killed them with the sword, since those are more lethal weapons. I'm not sure what a 'canalisation' is (language difference), but I think that's a "water channel"? If so and you drop guards in there and they drown, then the game *should* (ideally) recognize that as a kill, but I don't know if it does. It's been a while since I tried that. Also, I'm not sure why it's called a blackjack. I tried a couple quick Google.com searches, but didn't come up with anything. Hmm...

I know why I couldn't kill him (and I did at first dropped the body down the canalisation), I accidently played on expert. Well, I finished it anyway. But now, I'm on a level of mines with zombies and spider, and... I'm stuck. What is funny, I was stuck last time too. I just go around and around and kill the zombies all over again (I like the combat), and there is just that lift...

What is funny, at the end of the first level I actually ran in front of the guards - got that darned scepter, ran through the guards and outside, and hello mines!

May the Abyss rule!

What you call canalisations are probably the canals in the City - there's no such word :) But yes, dropping a body in there does fail the mission on expert, and it's the same if you through someone unconscious into a fireplace... Or off the balcony in LotP ;)

--

Somethin' fishy's goin' on here... Come on out, you taffer!

~The Fishy Taffer

I even tried to go down the canalisation(canal), and at the bottom I dropped the body. He still died. And that is a bug.

May the Abyss rule!

Well, his head was above the water. But if I threw him in the pond, yes, he should have died. But I suppose the game's physics can't recognise a head lying somewere. Please remove that bug in our mod - if the head in the water, he dies, if not, he's unoncious. If that wasn't made in Thief 2 or 3 already.

May the Abyss rule!

Yeah, that's too. You need to hit the head with the blackjack. If you hit with arrow, he dies. If you hit the leg, he slows down. If arm, he fights worse. If torso, just regular damage, hit him two or three times to kill him.

May the Abyss rule!

Did headshots not count for arrows?

(I can see it now, smack a guard with an arrow in TDM and we'll have an announcer saying "HEADSHOT!" over the speakers)

Yep, we are discussing: "Headshot!" ... "Unstoppable!" ... "God-like!" to tip our hats to Unreal Tournament because frag fests are exactly what Thief *should have been* ;) j/k

If there shouldn't be any fighting, just remove the bow and sword. What are they for then?

May the Abyss rule!

A crutch. Variety. Allowing players to play how they want -- thus, flexibility. Even though I mostly did blackjackings, I entertained myself with the occasional arrow shot or sword slash. They shouldn't be removed just because of the notion that killing is not supposed to be the norm in this game.

Could it be that some people want to have a variety in their gameplay? What a frightening though. :ph34r:

Of course people want variety in their gameplay - that's why their are such a wide variety of games to choose from.

It doesn't mean we have to squeeze all that variety into one game.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

How to reply pm's? I have 3 already...

I found a stupid bug in the game. In the masons level, there are a lot of water, and if you run away from a mason, he'll run after you in the water. Then he, of course, dies. And the game does not end on expert. After killing 2 masons like that I decided to replay... Heh...

Edited by heXen

May the Abyss rule!