The Dark Mod Forums

Call Of Cthulhu Released

Entropy

CoC: Dark Corners of the Earth has been released for the Xbox. PC release date is still unannounced, but hopefully soon. I'm posting here because a) all the fans hanging around the Headfirst forums seem to be impressed so it has recommendations, b ) it appears to be intelligent, atmospheric, and has stealth gameplay, as well as a few scares, so maybe Thief fans will enjoy, and c) because Bethesda is doing such a sh|te job of marketing this game that the devs have worked very hard on and many fans have been waiting a looong time for. By all reports it deserves a sequel and that's not likely to happen if no one hears about it, no matter how good it is.

I'd give you my firsthand impressions, but I'm still waiting for the PC release...

So buy it (but probably somewhere cheaper).

Or learn more about it.

Or just go hang out in the forums and wait for the PC release like many others :)

Cheers,

Entropy aka Athysbane in CoC forums

Lovecraft ... MUST ... RESIST ... BUYING .... IT.

Shit! I lost. :)

I'm waiting for this since I first heard that it will be created. Now hearing that it is released for the Xbox dampens my excitement a lot, because I don't think I want to spend money on yet another crappy console conversion. We will see how it turns out.

Gerhard

Lovecraft ... MUST ... RESIST ... BUYING .... IT.

Shit! I lost. :)

I'm waiting for this since I first heard that it will be created. Now hearing that it is released for the Xbox dampens my excitement a lot, because I don't think I want to spend money on yet another crappy console conversion. We will see how it turns out.

Well unlike TDS and DX2 people seem to actually be enjoying the console version, so that's a good sign. If it were released on Xbox first and sucked there I would have a lot less optimism for the PC version...

Is there a german version as well? I would like to get it.

Yes:

To appeal to Lovecraft fans throughout across the globe, this DVD provides intertitles in 24 languages including: Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Euskera, Finnish, French, Galician, German, Hungarian, Irish, Italian, Lithuanian, Luxmbourgish, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish and Welsh. These aren't just subtitles either — they are the real title cards rendered tastefully in each language. If you thought the story was scary before, wait until you see it in Welsh!

English is a language composed of largely everyone else's language, and yet we expect everyone else to speak it.

English is very handy as a language to communicate with other people around the globe. It'd be very difficult to run this mod if I only spoke Welsh, Sparhawk German, New Horizon French, oDDity Irish Gaelic, and Dram Australianese.

It's when English gets uppity and starts thinking that people should only speak English that I get annoyed. More people on this earth speak two languages than don't; one from day to day, and one for communication with people who don't speak the same language as them. Where everyone to start only speaking English a tragic amount of culture would be flushed down the toilet, so its better that it stays like this. Plus everyone's second language is probably going to chage depending on the superpower; We could all be speaking Chinease before long.

English is very handy as a language to communicate with other people around the globe. It'd be very difficult to run this mod if I only spoke Welsh, Sparhawk German, New Horizon French, oDDity Irish Gaelic, and Dram Australianese.

It's when English gets uppity and starts thinking that people should only speak English that I get annoyed. More people on this earth speak two languages than don't; one from day to day, and one for communication with people who don't speak the same language as them. Where everyone to start only speaking English a tragic amount of culture would be flushed down the toilet, so its better that it stays like this. Plus everyone's second language is probably going to chage depending on the superpower; We could all be speaking Chinease before long.

English is a horrible language that could be made a lot better. I say that as a native speaker (Australian English).

It has accumulated so many words form other languages (some Dictionaries put the number of official English words at over half a million) , yet retained archaic spelling systems and a fractured grammar that does nothing to sell it as an international language. I don't know about other English speaking countries, but the language has noticibly changed from the one I learned as a child. For example, people are always forgetting to conjugate the verb "to be", such as in sentences like "there is five apples on the table" instead of "there are five apples on the table". People in California like, totally use perfectly good words as meaningless particles for no reason. English needs to be radically simplified to be of any real use as an international language, though at the moment, even native speakers are changing it into something else. A lot of people from India speak English as a second language better than native English speakers...

My wife speaks English and Dutch, & my Father-in-Law speaks Arabic (several dialects), Armenian (three dialects), English, Dutch, German, Turkish, French, Italian and Greek fluently, and about a dozen other languages well enough to get by (he used to be an interpreter for the UN, and is very linguistically gifted), so I have had a fair bit of exposure to other languages, though I am only fluent in English, and I speak a bit of broken Dutch very badly. Comparative linguistics and artificial language construction has also been a little hobby of mine, I find the differences and similarities between languages endlessly fascinating, but I never seem to get around to learning another language. I've been meaning to learn Mandarin for ages.

Oh, BTW, if anyone on the Dark Mod team would like to include a fictional language for some character(s) to give the setting a bit of extra depth, I'm quite happy to rustle something up....

• 4 months later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I believe this small house game deserves some promotion from its fans:

Call of Cthulhu for PC to ship March 27 -

Bethesda Softworks announced today that the highly anticipated survival horror game, Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth for the PC will ship to North American stores the week of March 27th.

Edited by Vadrosaul
Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

Unfortunately no.

What happened was that the developer Headfirst Productions actually folded soon after the XBOX release, so Bethesda kept ONE developer around to complete the PC port.

There will be no patches, no SDK, no nothing beyond what's in the box.

Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

Unfortunately no.

What happened was that the developer Headfirst Productions actually folded soon after the XBOX release, so Bethesda kept ONE developer around to complete the PC port.

There will be no patches, no SDK, no nothing beyond what's in the box.

At first I thought that's good news, because I heard that it was canceled, but hearing that only one developer did it for PC and no patches, means probably that it will suck a lot, unless this guy is exceptional good and different from the usual releases. I was anticipating this game, but under this circumstances I doubt that I will buy it. :(

Gerhard