The Dark Mod Forums

Menu/gui Purchase Screen

Springheel

Whats the point of giving the player an object that he needs to succeed the objectives? This is the same as having no such objective at all. Unless the very purpose of such an object would be to become lost, in which case he would need it anyway. And if this would be indeed a requirement for the mission to succeed, then he ALWAYS will need such an objective.

Gerhard

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simple example is if its a plot specific item. This is not a new concept in video games - plenty of them have un-destroyable craft, people, etc. because they are required for the plot. Thief OMs and FMs have been no different.

Bottom line is that the FM author should be given the control, we shouldn't restrict them to what types of missions they can create.

Care to point out which OM had an object that ...

1. you got it right at the start.

2. is mission critical.

3. fails the mission on exit if not existant.

IMO ALL the missions either give you something to do somthing with it, OR they are acquired during the mission and need to be carried to the end.

Gerhard

THat's what I said about a week ago.

OF course, there's always the possiblity of a two part mission - in part one you aquire an item, and in mission 2 you have to use that item for some purpose, so obviosuly you would have it with you from the start.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Care to point out which OM had an object that ...

1. you got it right at the start.

2. is mission critical.

3. fails the mission on exit if not existant.

IMO ALL the missions either give you something to do somthing with it, OR they are acquired during the mission and need to be carried to the end.

I was contacted by a local noble, Farnegin. He wants to hire me to protect and transport a valuable relic he recently purchased while travelling abroad. A jeweled tablet of some sort, inscribed with numerous runes. Seems the Builders are aware of its existance and want to destroy it, so he can't just hire a bunch of guards to move it, as they'd never get past the city's numerous gatehouses and checkpoints. But I guess that won't be a problem for me... There is one final wrinkle though. I'm told there are others - most likely the Mage Guild - who would rather not see Farnegin get his hands on the tablet. They want it for themselves - and they hired the aromatically challenged Upwinders to take it from me. I guess I'd better watch my back and the tablet.

Objectives:

* Carry the tablet from the docks to Farnegin's mansion.

* Don't let any of the Upwinders get close enough to steal the tablet from you. If they do, make sure to steal it back before they get to their hideout!

The point is, you have no idea what sort of mission somebody is going to make. You should allow them the most options possible. For all you know, it might be that while exploring some crypt, the player accidently picked up and wore a cursed ring, and the rest of the missions deal with trying to figure out how to remove it. It wouldn't make sense if the player could just remove the ring in the loading screen.

The point is, even if such a mission would be created, the objectives would tell the player not to drop it. And if he can't read, then it's not our problem to deal with.

It's not 'our' problem to deal with it directly, but it 'is' the FM authors problem. If we don't give FM authors a way to make the an undroppable, that makes it our problem. There must be some setting already in Doom3 to flag an item as undroppable/ undestroyable? If a map maker is telling us that they would require such a feature, shouldn't we be listening?

The cursed ring is a good (albeit unlikely) example. Allowing the FM author to grey out the 'drop' option would probably be pretty easy.