The Dark Mod Forums

Schroeder In Wales

Macsen

Schroeder has taken a break from Germany to enjoy the Welsh countryside. :)

I wonder if he'll learn any Welsh. Some kind of German-Welsh mix would look crazy on paper. Ich erlerne die Waliser Sprache! Rydw i yn dysgu Cymraeg!

Nice to see Germans can already pronounce 'ch'. I tried to teach my japanese teacher some Welsh and she just couldn't form the sound in her throat at all.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Schroeder has taken a break from Germany to enjoy the Welsh countryside. :)

I wonder if he'll learn any Welsh. Some kind of German-Welsh mix would look crazy on paper. Ich erlerne die Waliser Sprache! Rydw i yn dysgu Cymraeg!

Nice to see Germans can already pronounce 'ch'. I tried to teach my japanese teacher some Welsh and she just couldn't form the sound in her throat at all.

The only way any outsider can learn to speak welsh, is to contract influenza or an equivilent chest infection, so it just isn't worth it.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

The only way any outsider can learn to speak welsh, is to contract influenza or an equivilent chest infection, so it just isn't worth it.

*Wades into battle...*

More ignorant carping by oDDity - any other language probaly sounds scary and alien to a monoglot. "Oh dear, what could those barbarians be saying about us? Boo-hoo." I'd rther be a Welshman that live in Northern Ireland, the only place in Britain with no real culture of its own - Grey, dull, and mostly associated with explosions - a great jewel in the British crown that is. Very much like the English language; big, convenient, squashes all opposition, but dull and sterile as a Wal Mart. Probably just typical english anger that your big phallic empire stretched to India but didn't manage to squash the cultures under your very nose, and culture envy. Bwahaha! :P

Slag Ieland all you like, I couldn;'t give a shit, I think it's a dump.

I can't stand the sort of drooling nationalism Macsen gets up to. It's pure accident of birth. Nationalism is even above reliigon for causing the world's troubles.

'I happen to have been born in this geographical location by pure chance, so it's obviously better than any other'

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

*Wades into battle...*

More ignorant carping by oDDity - any other language probaly sounds scary and alien to a monoglot. "Oh dear, what could those barbarians be saying about us? Boo-hoo." I'd rther be a Welshman that live in Northern Ireland, the only place in Britain with no real culture of its own - Grey, dull, and mostly associated with explosions - a great jewel in the British crown that is. Very much like the English language; big, convenient, squashes all opposition, but dull and sterile as a Wal Mart. Probably just typical english anger that your big phallic empire stretched to India but didn't manage to squash the cultures under your very nose, and culture envy. Bwahaha! :P

Why is there no reputation on this forum! :angry:

"The only way any outsider can learn to speak welsh, is to contract influenza or an equivilent chest infection, so it just isn't worth it." - rubbish. Being in a country speaking the language you are trying to learn is the best possible option if you want to learn. And I know that from my own experience.

To Dram - what kind of flamer/flooder/leaker are you? Do you ever stop?

Too late to save us but try to understand

The seas were empty -- there was hunger in the land

We let the madmen write the golden rules

We were just Children of the Moon

We're lost in the middle of a hopeless world

Children, Children of the Moon watch the world go by

Children, Children of the Moon are hiding from the Sun and the Sky

© The Alan Parsons Project - Children of the Moon

I can't stand the sort of drooling nationalism Macsen gets up to. It's pure accident of birth. Nationalism is even above reliigon for causing the world's troubles.

'I happen to have been born in this geographical location by pure chance, so it's obviously better than any other'

I completely agree with you - as Bill Hicks said, most people only live in a country because your parents had sex there. They should put a picture of your parents haing sex on the flag.

I'm not a nationalist at all, and don't think Wales is better than any other country. But culture is precious, without cultural diversity the world would be very fucking boring, and the Welsh culture has been under such a constant attack since the 11th Century that it is my duty as a Welsh speaker to defend it, to the death if need be. En garde!

To Dram - what kind of flamer/flooder/leaker are you? Do you ever stop?

flamer - wtf? what did i do? i was just stating an obvious fact that mac is gonna get pissed off by what oDD said, and thats supported by the fact that mac just flamed oDD etc.

flooder - hmm, not sure what that is

leaker - lol, i hardly leak information, and if i do its by accident (ie: thought we did'nt want to keep it secret)

flamer - wtf? what did i do? i was just stating an obvious fact that mac is gonna get pissed off by what oDD said, and thats supported by the fact that mac just flamed oDD etc.

Not pissed off. I'd be pissed off if, say, New Horizon or Springheel or someone else on the team said it, because they're decent blokes who say what they mean. oDDity goes out of his way to piss people off, so you just take it as a joke.

flooder - hmm, not sure what that is

leaker - lol, i hardly leak information, and if i do its by accident (ie: thought we did'nt want to keep it secret)

Maybe she's referring to your, ah, toilet problem. You told me that was orange juice on the floor, but I could smell it.

Maybe that term is not used on foreign forums... Flooder - someone who writes useless posts.

I'm an IRC flooder. I'm so bored with its empiteness that I write stuff just for the sake of it.

er... I mean as in where you do something like:

HELLO! this channel sux!!!!!!!111111111111

(continues another 150 times in under 10 seconds)

If each message has unique content, it's probably not flooding. :)

Forsaken - shut up and never say anything again until you've grown up, becasue when you do you sound like a nauseating, naive 15 year old who doesn't fully understand the subtle conversational dynamics of adults.

We;re all on one wavelength, you're on another, and there's just too much static for you to contribute anything coherant or relevant. Just stick to talking about fashionable clothes, cute boys, and make-up with your girlfriends.

And yes, you can add adolescents to the long list of things I don't like and try to avoid.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I completely agree with you - as Bill Hicks said, most people only live in a country because your parents had sex there. They should put a picture of your parents haing sex on the flag.

I'm not a nationalist at all, and don't think Wales is better than any other country. But culture is precious, without cultural diversity the world would be very fucking boring, and the Welsh culture has been under such a constant attack since the 11th Century that it is my duty as a Welsh speaker to defend it, to the death if need be. En garde!

Cultiure has no importance whatsoever.

What's the point in speaking welsh when only a million or so people out of the 7 billion in the world can understand it.

Imagine how small and pathetic your world would be if you could only speak welsh. If you had the choice between only being able to underetand welsh, or understand english, you'd choose english, and don't even biother trying to deny it.

What is culture?

It's just a collection of pointless traditions with no intrinsic value whatsoever.

You're a homo sapiens, your home is this planet, and you shouldn't try to break it down any furthur that. The past has no relevance to the future, except to bog it down with old emnities and phrases that start with 'I still remember the time when <insert bad behaviour here>'

People forgetting the past and starting wioth a clean slate would do a lot more good than anything else.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Culture is OK when it is referring to art or music, but all too often it is used to justify inhumanity and aggression. As in, we shouldn't be against beating your spouse/mutilating your children's genitals/the death penalty/creationism because it is "part of [someone's] culture".

Yes, and people say we have to remember things like the holocaust, as if that will prevent it from happening again.

Remembering past atrocities does not stop them from happening again, mass genocides and ethnic cleanings have happened many times in the world since than - Cambodia, Bosnia, Rwanda, Iraq.

We don't need to learn shit from the past, we alreayd know that slaughtering millions of people is wrong, the people who do it know that it's wrong, but they do it anyway for reasons of their own.

- Emil Zola

character models site

There is difference between learning from the past and using that past as the sole reason to continue doing something (or allowing others to do it with impunity), when there is no other reason to do so.

Knowledge is power, and humans should be keen to amass as much knowledge as possible, whether it comes from analysis of past events or observations in the present, but the whole concept of "tradition" is an entirely stupid and irrational excuse for refusing to discard outdated practices.

...the subtle conversational dynamics of adults.

Macsen: I like Wales. My picture is a kitty. These thoughts may or may not be related.

oDDity: Wales sucks. Culture sucks. We should all dress in grey and lick salt cubes.

Macsen: I respectfully disagree.

oDDity: Also I hate children.

Dram: WTF guys?

OrbWeaver: I'm going to try and translate what oDDity is saying into English.

sparhawk: DAMAGE CONTROL

oDDity: Did I mention I hate children?

thestemmer: I have no bearing on this conversation.

Wow, this pretty much confirms you as an idiot. Of all the people I've had to convince of the importance of language preservation over the years, you're the only one who has failed to grasp the importance of culture.

Cultiure has no importance whatsoever. What is culture?

It's just a collection of pointless traditions with no intrinsic value whatsoever.

You're a homo sapiens, your home is this planet, and you shouldn't try to break it down any furthur that. The past has no relevance to the future, except to bog it down with old emnities and phrases that start with 'I still remember the time when <insert bad behaviour here>'

Culture is much more than tradition, it’s what adds colour to our world.

For fucks sake, you’re making a video game that pretty much depends on a mix of cultures to create its atmosphere. If culture wasn’t important we might as well set the Dark Mod in a concrete factory where everyone wears grey suits.

Welsh is an older language than English. I can read a battle report from 603a.d. as if it were yesterday’s news. There are thousands upon thousands of books, plays, poetry, and so on that would be lost forever if Welsh were to die out. Imagine if that happened to English; everything you've ever enjoyed through that language, be it books, computer games, music, movies, ecetra, having all the meaning in them either partly of entirely wiped out because people no longer understand it.

What's the point in speaking welsh when only a million or so people out of the 7 billion in the world can understand it. Imagine how small and pathetic your world would be if you could only speak welsh. If you had the choice between only being able to underetand welsh, or understand english, you'd choose english, and don't even biother trying to deny it.

What’s the point speaking English if we were able to live our lives in Welsh? If I have a million people to talk to in Welsh, that’s enough people to do me one lifetime. What are you going to find in 7 billion people that you don’t find in a million? Even true love is usually about a block away.

The only reason every Welsh speaker can speak English (to some extent) is because we don’t have the basic right to speak our own language in our own country. The Welsh speakers are taking steps to change that, and now have a law whereby every public service must be provided in Welsh, we have a Welsh TV channel, and will soon have a law forcing every commercial company to supply a service in Welsh.

English is handy for talking to people whose second language is also English. Most of the world’s population has shown themselves fully capable of speaking two languages without any trouble. The only people who want English as the only language on earth must have a real inferiority complex. I’d rather ditch English and preserve all the cultures on earth English is destroying than keep English and see all those cultures smothered by your imperialistic dick-waving.

Cultiure People forgetting the past and starting wioth a clean slate would do a lot more good than anything else.

The stupidest statement in a rant full of them. Why forget the past when it’s such a vast resource of culture, and start again? That makes about as much sense as you deleting all your Dark Mod models and starting again. Why? There’s just no point, at all. Idiotic.

There are thousands upon thousands of books, plays, poetry, and so on that would be lost forever if Welsh were to die out. Imagine if that happened to English; everything you've ever enjoyed through that language, be it books, computer games, music, movies, ecetra, having all the meaning in them either partly of entirely wiped out because people no longer understand it.

Just like nobody can understand Homer, Virgil and Pliny because nobody speaks Latin or Ancient Greek anymore?

The Welsh speakers are taking steps to change that, and now have a law whereby every public service must be provided in Welsh, we have a Welsh TV channel, and will soon have a law forcing every commercial company to supply a service in Welsh.

I'm sure that will do wonders for the Welsh economy. Has anyone investigated the cost of maintaining a duplicate Welsh version of every resource alongside the loss of simply not trading in Wales?

English is handy for talking to people whose second language is also English. Most of the world’s population has shown themselves fully capable of speaking two languages without any trouble. The only people who want English as the only language on earth must have a real inferiority complex.

Most people do not want to actively eradicate minority languages, but forcing people to use them simply to keep them in the mainstream is an emotional decision, not a rational one.

Just like nobody can understand Homer, Virgil and Pliny because nobody speaks Latin or Ancient Greek anymore?

Erm, people can still read Latin and Ancient Greek. My mother, for one (latin). What are you trying to argue? That because some languages have died out we should let them all die out? Because some animals are extinct we should just go the whole hog and wipe them all out?

I'm sure that will do wonders for the Welsh economy. Has anyone investigated the cost of maintaining a duplicate Welsh version of every resource alongside the loss of simply not trading in Wales?

Having Welsh signs in your store and a staff member that speaks Welsh doesn't cost anything. In fact, most companies provide a Welsh service just out of courtesy.

Most people do not want to actively eradicate minority languages, but forcing people to use them simply to keep them in the mainstream is an emotional decision, not a rational one.

No one is forcing anyone to do anything, it's the Welsh speakers who want th right to speak Welsh in their own country, just like the French would expect to b able to use French in their country, and the Germans, and Spanish, ecetra.

What rationality would this be? What isn't rational about preserving a culture? Living in a world where everything is uniform and identical would seem irrational to me. The end result of streamlining everything is a world in which you can't express yourself because you do not have the cultural vocabulary to do so.