174 replies to this topic

#26 SneaksieDave

SneaksieDave

QA Lead

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10125 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 06:14 PM

NH: I think the wiki info is just a result of a testing error: they thought that it had corrected it, when the reality is that it corrects itself once a real bak file exists. At least, that's what's happening for me locally.

Bukary: look in pak000.pk4 for originals

#27 Domarius

Domarius

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7659 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 07:36 PM

You built "Old Comrades, Old Debts"? I worship you.

#28 Dram

Dram

Disco Inferno

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7463 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 09:04 PM

Thanks! The solution was simple: I just had to set FULL SCREEN to NO and resolution to 640x480. :blush:
I'm really curious what you mean. But I guess it must remain a secret for now. :)

Well, the only thing that's already known by everyone by now is that we will be more realistic with the option of turning on the classic T1/2 style for those who find it too difficult. At least this is what we discussed a while back.

#29 Ishtvan

Ishtvan

Programmer

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14860 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 10:32 PM

Actually it's not the classic T1/T2 style, but will be a simpler option than the complicated option. :)

#30 sparhawk

sparhawk

Repository Manager

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21776 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 02:59 AM

It's not quite clear what's causing it,

Actually it's quite clear whats causing it. The programmers checked for the returnvalue of the open() function and if it is -1 it is an error. Unfortunately, if you can't open a file it doesn't neccessarily mean a real error, because it depends on the application wether it is an error or not. In the case of a backupfile it is certainly not an error if you can't open it, because it wont be there anyway, the first time. But the programmers don't differentiate such cases and interpret all -1 returns as an error, instead of ignoring.

file->project settings

I know I have mentioned this before.. Suppose this is something for the wiki..? Macsen & SubjectiveEffect?

This doesn't help. I changed my project settings and I still get the error. It is less frequently though, for some reason. I applied my patch nevertheless, because it is annyoing.
Gerhard

#31 pakmannen

pakmannen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1787 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 04:22 AM

This doesn't help. I changed my project settings and I still get the error. It is less frequently though, for some reason. I applied my patch nevertheless, because it is annyoing.

That's weird.. Maybe I did something else as well.. I'll check it out

#32 Bukary

Bukary

• PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 06:42 AM

You built "Old Comrades, Old Debts"? I worship you.

Yes, I did. Have you played OCOD? Did you like it? :)

Any chances of getting this patch? Is it only for team members?
Cartographer's Note FM: in production.
Download Old Comrades, Old Debts FM or Mistrz Effects demo and see my old projects!

#33 sparhawk

sparhawk

Repository Manager

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21776 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 06:57 AM

I must look. I uploaded it somewhere, but I think the link will no longer be working. I have to see where the patch is and then I can upload it. :)
Gerhard

#34 sparhawk

sparhawk

Repository Manager

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21776 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 07:06 AM

I found my thread on Doom 3 World.

http://www.doom3worl...pic.php?t=13958

You can check it, I wrote an explanation what the patch does, so if you are comfortable with an hex editor, you can patch it yourself. Otherwise I will have to upload the patch somehwere.
Gerhard

#35 Maximius

Maximius

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 08:35 AM

Im confused, is DarkRadiant available for use? I went to Orbweavers dl site but it said there was nothing to download.

#36 OrbWeaver

OrbWeaver

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7648 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 08:47 AM

You could check out the SVN and build it yourself, but there is no point as yet because no changes or enhancements have been committed. If you want to familiarise yourself with the application, you would be better off installing a recent build of GtkRadiant.

#37 Maximius

Maximius

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 09:22 AM

You could check out the SVN and build it yourself, but there is no point as yet because no changes or enhancements have been committed. If you want to familiarise yourself with the application, you would be better off installing a recent build of GtkRadiant.

Sorry, whats an SVN? I have been playing with D3ed, I remember someone somewhere saying that GtkRadiant sucked in its stand alone form.

#38 OrbWeaver

OrbWeaver

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7648 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:27 AM

Subversion is a source-control system, basically an improved version of CVS.

GtkRadiant has only recently been updated to work with Doom 3, so there may well be missing features. Our hope is that with DarkRadiant we will be able to add customised features that are important for Dark Mod missions, such as an improved hierarchical entity browser, stim/response editor etc.

#39 Ratty

Ratty

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 04:07 PM

In Dark Mod, we plan to make lock picking more involved than T1 and T2, but it won't look like TDS since we're not supporting body awareness.

Body awareness. How intriguing. Lockpicking was one of the few changes I actually LIKED in TDS. EXCEPT for how it grabbed hold of your body, forced you to squat down and held you there. Now if you could replicate the picking mechanics part but not assume the player is so stupid and guide/force them into a squat, that would be grand. Course maybe you can't legally do that. I have all sorts of ideas, but no doubt you guys have been discussing such things for awhile.

#40 Bukary

Bukary

• PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 04:16 PM

I've got a really annoying problem that is probably very easy to solve: I don't see models in CAM or XY view.

Eg.

Right click>func>func_rotating
Entity Inspector>Model>mapobjects>lab>loadingplatform>loadingplatform.lwo
Click OK

and... nothing... no changes in viewport. Entity still loks like a brush in CAM and XY viewport. In RENDER it looks OK. :(

What's wrong? Is this dependent on some view setting? I've been trying to figure out how to enable mesh view for few hours and... I have no idea what to do. :blush:
Download Old Comrades, Old Debts FM or Mistrz Effects demo and see my old projects!

#41 Ishtvan

Ishtvan

Programmer

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14860 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 05:09 PM

I remember hearing about a bug where you have to clone it once to get it to appear as a mesh, but could be wrong.

#42 Dram

Dram

Disco Inferno

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7463 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 12:45 AM

I think you have to give them a string:

Cinematic

in the inspector window down the bottom. Try it if it works, if not then I'm lost too.

#43 Bukary

Bukary

• PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 07:33 AM

I think you have to give them a string:

Cinematic

in the inspector window down the bottom. Try it if it works, if not then I'm lost too.

Thanks for the advices! I'll try Cinematic Key if I encounter this problem again. But I got rid of this by deleting editor config file. So it must have been something in the settings...

#44 Dram

Dram

Disco Inferno

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7463 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 07:49 AM

ahh ok, well glad to try and help anyways

#45 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 37756 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 10:38 AM

Lockpicking was one of the few changes I actually LIKED in TDS. EXCEPT for how it grabbed hold of your body, forced you to squat down and held you there. Now if you could replicate the picking mechanics part but not assume the player is so stupid and guide/force them into a squat, that would be grand.

The original comment was misleading. It's not that we aren't having a more complex lockpicking system (a mini-game, if you will) like TDS. But it won't suck you in--that was a direct consequence of having a third-person play mode, which we aren't supporting.
TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#46 Bukary

Bukary

• PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 01:06 PM

Well, I've been playing with Doom3Edit for the last few days. I'm starting to like it.

I'd like to know if there are any limits in this editor. How many entities? How many brushes? How many polygons in object? Etc. Is there any info on this?

#47 sparhawk

sparhawk

Repository Manager

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21776 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 01:59 PM

The limit of entities is curently 4096, but we can change that if there is really need to.
Gerhard

#48 OrbWeaver

OrbWeaver

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7648 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 02:17 PM

I'd like to know if there are any limits in this editor. How many entities? How many brushes? How many polygons in object? Etc. Is there any info on this?

Apart from the entity count Sparhawk mentioned, the only Doom 3 limits are those imposed by your graphics card and PC specification. Obviously the memory usage will climb in a very large complex level, but you will not encounter the sort of hardcoded limits you are used to in TDS.

#49 Bukary

Bukary

• PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 03:34 PM

The limit of entities is curently 4096, but we can change that if there is really need to.

Definitely. Change that limit if you can.

Apart from the entity count Sparhawk mentioned, the only Doom 3 limits are those imposed by your graphics card and PC specification. Obviously the memory usage will climb in a very large complex level, but you will not encounter the sort of hardcoded limits you are used to in TDS.

Great. So I can use as many brushes as I want... :)

#50 sparhawk

sparhawk

Repository Manager

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21776 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 03:37 PM

Definitely. Change that limit if you can.

Why? -_-
Gerhard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users