The Dark Mod Forums

Some Questions About Darkradiant

Bukary

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks! The solution was simple: I just had to set FULL SCREEN to NO and resolution to 640x480. :blush:

I'm really curious what you mean. But I guess it must remain a secret for now. :)

Well, the only thing that's already known by everyone by now is that we will be more realistic with the option of turning on the classic T1/2 style for those who find it too difficult. At least this is what we discussed a while back.

It's not quite clear what's causing it,

Actually it's quite clear whats causing it. The programmers checked for the returnvalue of the open() function and if it is -1 it is an error. Unfortunately, if you can't open a file it doesn't neccessarily mean a real error, because it depends on the application wether it is an error or not. In the case of a backupfile it is certainly not an error if you can't open it, because it wont be there anyway, the first time. But the programmers don't differentiate such cases and interpret all -1 returns as an error, instead of ignoring.

file->project settings

I know I have mentioned this before.. Suppose this is something for the wiki..? Macsen & SubjectiveEffect?

This doesn't help. I changed my project settings and I still get the error. It is less frequently though, for some reason. I applied my patch nevertheless, because it is annyoing.

Gerhard

You built "Old Comrades, Old Debts"? I worship you.

Yes, I did. Have you played OCOD? Did you like it? :)

This doesn't help. I changed my project settings and I still get the error. It is less frequently though, for some reason. I applied my patch nevertheless, because it is annyoing.

Any chances of getting this patch? Is it only for team members?

Cartographer's Note FM: in production.

Download Old Comrades, Old Debts FM or Mistrz Effects demo and see my old projects!

You could check out the SVN and build it yourself, but there is no point as yet because no changes or enhancements have been committed. If you want to familiarise yourself with the application, you would be better off installing a recent build of GtkRadiant.

You could check out the SVN and build it yourself, but there is no point as yet because no changes or enhancements have been committed. If you want to familiarise yourself with the application, you would be better off installing a recent build of GtkRadiant.

Sorry, whats an SVN? I have been playing with D3ed, I remember someone somewhere saying that GtkRadiant sucked in its stand alone form.

Subversion is a source-control system, basically an improved version of CVS.

GtkRadiant has only recently been updated to work with Doom 3, so there may well be missing features. Our hope is that with DarkRadiant we will be able to add customised features that are important for Dark Mod missions, such as an improved hierarchical entity browser, stim/response editor etc.

In Dark Mod, we plan to make lock picking more involved than T1 and T2, but it won't look like TDS since we're not supporting body awareness.
Body awareness. How intriguing. Lockpicking was one of the few changes I actually LIKED in TDS. EXCEPT for how it grabbed hold of your body, forced you to squat down and held you there. Now if you could replicate the picking mechanics part but not assume the player is so stupid and guide/force them into a squat, that would be grand. Course maybe you can't legally do that. I have all sorts of ideas, but no doubt you guys have been discussing such things for awhile.

I've got a really annoying problem that is probably very easy to solve: I don't see models in CAM or XY view.

Eg.

Right click>func>func_rotating

Entity Inspector>Model>mapobjects>lab>loadingplatform>loadingplatform.lwo

Click OK

and... nothing... no changes in viewport. Entity still loks like a brush in CAM and XY viewport. In RENDER it looks OK. :(

What's wrong? Is this dependent on some view setting? I've been trying to figure out how to enable mesh view for few hours and... I have no idea what to do. :blush:

Download Old Comrades, Old Debts FM or Mistrz Effects demo and see my old projects!

I think you have to give them a string:

Cinematic

in the inspector window down the bottom. Try it if it works, if not then I'm lost too.

Thanks for the advices! I'll try Cinematic Key if I encounter this problem again. But I got rid of this by deleting editor config file. So it must have been something in the settings...

Lockpicking was one of the few changes I actually LIKED in TDS. EXCEPT for how it grabbed hold of your body, forced you to squat down and held you there. Now if you could replicate the picking mechanics part but not assume the player is so stupid and guide/force them into a squat, that would be grand.

The original comment was misleading. It's not that we aren't having a more complex lockpicking system (a mini-game, if you will) like TDS. But it won't suck you in--that was a direct consequence of having a third-person play mode, which we aren't supporting.

Well, I've been playing with Doom3Edit for the last few days. I'm starting to like it.

I'd like to know if there are any limits in this editor. How many entities? How many brushes? How many polygons in object? Etc. Is there any info on this?

I'd like to know if there are any limits in this editor. How many entities? How many brushes? How many polygons in object? Etc. Is there any info on this?

Apart from the entity count Sparhawk mentioned, the only Doom 3 limits are those imposed by your graphics card and PC specification. Obviously the memory usage will climb in a very large complex level, but you will not encounter the sort of hardcoded limits you are used to in TDS.

The limit of entities is curently 4096, but we can change that if there is really need to.

Definitely. Change that limit if you can.

Apart from the entity count Sparhawk mentioned, the only Doom 3 limits are those imposed by your graphics card and PC specification. Obviously the memory usage will climb in a very large complex level, but you will not encounter the sort of hardcoded limits you are used to in TDS.

Great. So I can use as many brushes as I want... :)