The Dark Mod Forums

2006 Football World Cup!

Macsen

I'm tempted to support Germany, just because I find English football fans somewhat unbearable in full swing.

And since the Germans are paying for it they probably deserve to win it. Viel Glueck!

(Of course we all know those bloody Brazilians will steal the cup again.)

Here's a German-English glossary of football terms. Der Ball ist rund, indeed. Die Welt ist rund, too.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm Austrian, I'm only living in Germany. :) But I doubt that Austria will stand much chance, so supporting Germany seems ok. On the other hand, if Germany is thrown out, then there is a good chance that the hubhub dies down a bit. They are already sending commercials on TV for four months, and ALL of them think that they HAVE to have a football theme, no matter how forced it is. Butter, mineral water, cars, etc. every advertisment thinks it has to show some relation to it. I'm really gratefull that yesterday there was a commercial for Playmobil and they did NOT drag football into it.

Gerhard

well as a football fan I'm definitely looking forward to the world cup, eventhough I couldn't get hold of a single ticket. It's really a shame - the worldcup will probably only take place in your country one time in your life, but it's almost impossible to get tickets for a reasonable price :(

BTW Mac HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :)

BTW Mac HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :)
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAC!!!

Thanks. :)

I thought I had no presents, but I just noticed a bit of paper on the floor saying 'You were not in, so we are holding your parcel at a delivery office 36 miles away'. Adventures!

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks. :)

I thought I had no presents, but I just noticed a bit of paper on the floor saying 'You were not in, so we are holding your parcel at a delivery office 36 miles away'. Adventures!

I was born in Costa Rica so i'm going with them. We got the honor of being in first match of the 2006 World Cup. This World Cup is gonna be the bomb because around the same time the Tour de France(cycling) is gonna be going on.

I was born in Costa Rica so i'm going with them. We got the honor of being in first match of the 2006 World Cup. This World Cup is gonna be the bomb because around the same time the Tour de France(cycling) is gonna be going on.

Argh, the curse of being in the first match! You're really just there to lose to the hosts, aren't you?

• 3 weeks later...
Argh, the curse of being in the first match! You're really just there to lose to the hosts, aren't you?

Our team is in really bad shape. We will probably lose the first game, and every other game. I think what we lack is unity and our players are just too friggin tired. We will see how it all plays out. Unfortunately they have lost 4 or the last 5 exhibition practice games. It all spells doom. In fact I would be surprised if we manage to win 1 game.

It's sad really. But that's reality. I don't expect us to pass the first round. Our only chance of winning in less than a week from now is God and team spirit. They have to come together and realize that this is once in a lifetime type opportunity. Some of them will probably never see that field from the grass again. They have to go out there and play like if their life depended on it. They have to forget about everything else and just worry about playing as one, united, a team. Our coach Guimaraes knows the team is in bad shape.

Kickoff is Friday morning, 11 pm eastern on the States. We need a miracle. :unsure:

My favorite teams are Costa Rica, USA, England, and Italy and Spain. I do not like Brazil and hope someoen puts a whoopin on em. I hope someone embarrases them for beating us 5-2 last time they met Costa Rica. In fact if Costa Rica was to play them I hope somehow they get pissed off and go on a rampage. Revenge dammit! Grr!! :angry:

So yea lol. I want payback and I want it NOW! Blasted Ronaldo. This time you will see!

Edited by Unstoppable

I can't cheer for my home country, because, well........ Football is an alien sport here. Most are rather interested watching men in skates hit a rubber disc around an ice rink.

I'm rooting for my ancestry, which are Poland and England

Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

I voted Germany 2:0. At least there are two goals difference, so I have a higher score then just for the win. :)

My company is doing a voting where all employees can participate. And who has the most points, wins a journey to Berlin with two cards for the final. Even though I'm not really interested still would take the cards if I would win it. Would be a nice trip to Berlin without kids at least. :)

Not that I really expect to win it...

Gerhard

My company is doing a voting where all employees can participate. And who has the most points, wins a journey to Berlin with two cards for the final.

How on earth did your company get hold of final tickets? You'd have to kill to get them. Someone from your company has blood on his hands!

No chance, they just aren't winners, period, and they looked like shit in the first game, and they have striker problems, they havent' scored a proper goal yet, while other teams have scored 2-4 goals in their opening games.

I'd vote for about 6 teams before England.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

The vote had to be placed before anybody played, so it was not avilable to me, and now it is locked. :) Doesn't matter really, because I just picked some team without knowing much about it anyway. And to be honest. I think this is random guessing anyway. I know that the guys, who will be right, will say something like "You see? I told you so, because it was obvious that this team should win." but in truth it is nothing more than playing lotto. Maybe a few teams can be picked to have no chance, but apart from that it is completely open and mostly random.

Gerhard

It's not a lotto, the skill and pedigree of the teams involved play the biggest part in it, Brasil haven't reached the final 7 times and won it 5 times because they are lucky.

In a lotto, every nuber has an equal chance of being picked, but in the world cup every team has not got an equal chance of winning, in fact, some of them have no chance.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

That's why I said that you can pick out a few teams, based on their record. However, if you compare the, let's say five best teams, then it IS lotto, because these teams are best because they are good, but there is not THAT much difference between them to make the claim that one or the other is clearly so much better. If it were, there would be no betting on who will win the championship.

Gerhard