The Dark Mod Forums

Doom 3

Unstoppable

I use to be hard headed. I told myself, bah Doom 3 just another shoot em up.(When it first released) I'm not gonna pay 50$ for this shit I said to myself.

Time when on and I found myself without a game to conquer. So I coughed up 40$ for Doom 3 and the expansion. As well as a new dvd drive with cd burner so I could play Splinter Cell:Chaos Theory.

I played Doom 3 for a bit but I got kinda scared and stopped. It was an off and on relationship. I told myself bleh just what I thought it would be, just another shoot em up.

Time went by again but i'm finally realizing how underrated Doom 3 is. Now that I got into researching what it takes to makes game I can just appreciate games three times as much. I'm walking around Doom 3(Just finished killing Saboath) and i'm like dam. These guys at ID are so good. No wonder they have a hard-core crowd following them. I was missing all this all along.

The boss fights are just jaw dropping. I'm not running the latest and greatest system neither. However the game just runs smooth. I love it. I don't even know why ID bothered putting a dang multiplayer component. Might as well just put more time into the single player game.

I use to get pissed cuz enemies would just be all up in my face. However now that I realize what I can do and how to fight them i'm like bring it! I'll bust out my chaingun or soulcube and tell you to shove it up your ass you stupid monsters! So yea. ^_^

I'm just really enjoying the game for what it is. I appreciate what I got now more than ever. I also think not many people finished Doom 3 step by step. Pity because it's really worth it. Damn this game is creepy but fun.

p.s.

My system is an AMD Athlon xp 2100(1.73ghz) 1 gig ddr ram at 2100, geforce 4 ti 4200 AGP x8 128mb DDR,

40 gig harddrive along with a 10 gig harddrive. I run the game at medium with 800x600 resolution. My motherboard is an MSI K7N2G.

In conclusion I now realize why you guys chose the Doom engine. It's awesome.(I'm also playing Far Cry it's also a great engine) Oh yeah i'm also playing Warhammer 40k Dawn of War.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I really loved the plot in the game :)

The starting parts were not that great though, but I'll tell you, since I'm mapping for DarkMod I had a few peeks into their maps to see how they did this or that. Their maps are fucking complex and super optimized and would probably have taken a few weeks full-time development to make one map.

Anyways, I thought it was a good game too, though I never found it all too fun to have to pump enemies with billions of bullets, but other then that it is great imo :)

I actually found the game very tedious indeed, while Quake 4 I enjoyed. I suspect this is because of the more varied, futuristic architecture in Q4 and and greater variety of cool weapons.

Also, monsters that spawn behind you are so unbelievably lame.

Ignoring the problems of monsters spawning behind you, I really enjoyed D3. I was blown away by the awesome GUIs, and wish they had made more interesting puzzles with them. In general I thought the ambiance and story were great. There's just something creepy knowing that the base was built over ancient ruins, and that it seemed to be haunted even before the mishap. I especially liked later on when hell started pulling the base appart. And from a mapping perspective, the engine is nicely optimized.

I don't remember any creatures spawning behind you, only through the hell teleport type crap (the pentagram crap)

That's exactly what I mean. In Quake 4, once you've cleared an area it's more or less safe (although if you have to retrace your steps you often find more enemies waiting for you), whereas in Doom 3 they are constantly spawning with that orange fire.

I did enjoy the level design in Doom 3 though, especially all that wonky, dirty internal glass and the labyrinthine layout of the older underground facilities. The Hell level also kicked ass (not least because it was a welcome relief from endless metal corridors).

In conclusion I now realize why you guys chose the Doom engine. It's awesome.

I'm glad you like the Doom 3 game, because personally I didn't. I liked it in the beginning, but then it became boring fast for me. Anyway, the game itslef was not really why we selected this engine. It was more because of it's specification, which was very suitable to a Thief style conversion, and of course because of it's track record of Id engines moddabillity. We discussed to move on to other engines, in the meantime (which was about 1 year ago), but we decided against it for various reasons. One of them being the support and ease of modding of the Doom engine.

Gerhard

I don't remember any creatures spawning behind you, only through the hell teleport type crap (the pentagram crap)

Really? That was the whole concept of the game IMO. Step into a new room. Empty. Take a few steps forward. Hear noise. Turn around. Shoot monster which was not there a second before. Repeat.

Gerhard

lol. Yeah it did get annoying to walk into a room and pop they spawned from hell - but at least they spawned with reason (they were sent from hell via teleport or whatever) unlike HL2's supposedly good ai which was just a bunch of spawning bastards.

Though HL2 was a more enjoyable game imo.

lol. Yeah it did get annoying to walk into a room and pop they spawned from hell - but at least they spawned with reason (they were sent from hell via teleport or whatever) unlike HL2's supposedly good ai which was just a bunch of spawning bastards.

I don't remember any enemies obviously spawning in HL2 - they just seemed to exist in new areas you entered (maybe they were spawning behind the scenes, but I didn't spot any of it happening).

Though HL2 was a more enjoyable game imo.

True. Much as I may dislike Valve and Steam, there is no doubt that HL2 was a more enganging and atmospheric game, with fantastic art direction.

Much as I may dislike Valve and Steam, there is no doubt that HL2 was a more enganging and atmospheric game, with fantastic art direction.

To be honest, I felt like HL2 didn't have the same magic as HL1... In HL2 it just felt like I was travelling long distances from point A to point B while killing lots of humanoids. About the only part I really enjoyed was the assault on the prison. And the ending was unsatisfying to say the least. I thought HL1 did a better job of disguising the fact that the player effectively just travels around, because you looked forward to each new room as containing potentially interesting and horrifying creatures and circumstances and puzzles. I even enjoyed D3 more than HL2, because you still encountered surprises, scares and interesting areas. (admittedly the middle of the game is a little boring, but it starts to get really interesting again when you finally reach the monorail)

Quake 4 is Doom 3 but more exciting stuff happens :)

Lots of scripted sequences, vehicles, frequent conversations with other humans (omg) and you usually have a team with you that you have to protect. Either they are mission critical and the game fails if they die, or they are useful for extra fire power and for healing you or your armour. Nobody is invincible, they can ALL die, so you have to protetct them all.

And there's always something happening - you're heading to the gun emplacement to place charges, you get inside to shoot a bunch of enemies from the sky, you place the charges and watch it blow, now its not covering the gate anymore so you can go in, etc. etc. and you always have a team with you.

It's like being in a really cheesy but fun sci-fi action movie - creepy bits, action bits, its really cool :)

I really liked the Quake 4 demo. However I got plenty of games to finish before buying that baby. I might go back to World of Warcraft when i'm done with the one's i'm currently playing.

Anyway about the enemies spawning behind you that is very annoying. However I found out that the trick to enjoying Doom 3 is outsmarting the enemy. Just look around when you clear are room. There is so many things you can do to outsmart the A.I. Who's smarter, you or the A.I.?

As soon as enemies start spawning I like to back track and let them come to me. I out smart them. Sure if they're behind me i'm in trouble but some times they're not. Even when they are that just makes me want to kill them more. Cheap hell bastards.

You can blow the barrels to hurt them. Also as soon as they're spawning they're vulnerable. Run up to them and unload the shotgun. Those skull rocket shooting guys, I figured out shooting them in the skull makes em fall quickly. Plus definately using shift to sprint and strafe helps a lot. It takes skill and your brains and it's just a lot of fun. Even the big monster one that makes the ground shake isn't that hard. Just strafe fast and run up to him and unload in his head. All the monsters have weaknesses which can be exploited.

One thing someone pointed out was the story was really good. I agree. I didn't get into it because it started kinda predictable. However later on things get interesting. There's is a lot of content. Videos explaining weapon use are actually useful. So much stuff.

Doom 3 has everything I could've asked for in a sci-fi thriller type game. I never got into Doom 1 or 2 because I wasn't a big PC gamer back in the 80's. I got into PC gaming in the late 90's. I've had my doubts. However i'm satisfied. PC's are just > than consoles in technological department. Consoles are kind of nice to sit in the couch and have fun.

So yea. I'm having a blast heh. Well time to go to work. I was playing Thievery earlier btw.(http://www.thieveryut.com) We had a good crowd of about 7 people on Brody's server.

Edited by Unstoppable

I enjoyed DooM 3 more then HL2, HL2 is boring... HL1 was much better...

The spawning was annoying in DooM1-2, DooM3 is OK compared to them.

Too late to save us but try to understand

The seas were empty -- there was hunger in the land

We let the madmen write the golden rules

We were just Children of the Moon

We're lost in the middle of a hopeless world

Children, Children of the Moon watch the world go by

Children, Children of the Moon are hiding from the Sun and the Sky

© The Alan Parsons Project - Children of the Moon

I enjoyed DooM 3 more then HL2, HL2 is boring... HL1 was much better...

The spawning was annoying in DooM1-2, DooM3 is OK compared to them.

I agree about the HL 2. Sadly I found HL1 mildy amusing. I guess after playing Thief and Deus Ex HL 1 just couldn't compare to me. At that time I didn't appreciate scripted sequences. I played games and was like bah this again bah that again. Now I play games and just enjoy em for what they are.

Hm I don't know why I didn't get into HL. I mean don't get me wrong, great game. I even really enjoyed Team Fortress Classic.

BTW I just finished Doom 3. It was funny at the end. I hit a brick with my flashlight and the dam thing opened to reveal you know what. It wasn't that hard at the end but I don't mind. I felt like it was a reward for al my hard work. Just like Thief 1 if you know what i'm talking about. I know there's an easter egg at the end heh. I'l just look up stuff online.

Edited by Unstoppable

yeah, not many found that :)

we should do that in tdm MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA.........

Actually I was referring to the boss chamber. I didn't find the easter egg cuz I was too frightened at 5 am to do so. I also had just finished work at about 3 am so I was a lil delirious. Anyway I gotta go to work. Hehe. I know the easter egg has something to do with the ID logo and a hidden brick somewhere.

I wasn't referring to the easter egg. I meant the boss chamber. I do know however that the easter deals with a brick and then you et other stuff which I don't want to spil. I haven't had time to go look for it. I didn't do it last night cuz it was 5 am and I was a lil delirious just getting off work. This game has an intense atmosphere so it's better to play when one is well rested. ^_^

• 1 month later...

Doom3 is without a doubt one of the most boring games out there. FOrget about the progress of FPS shooters with Half Life and Halo. Even Far Cry. This is a step back in gaming.

All credit to ID though. They did say it was a remake of the original game. It's just lazy to not have better enemies then mindless monsters though.

ZylonBane's confession about himself:

"What can I say, I'm a jerk. A three times all American Jerk, from Jerksville, Kentucky. Yee Haw"

To tell you the truth I enjoyed the game (after the first...10 boring bits) though I did change the weapons to be a bit more powerful *whistle*

I had a look at their maps and man shiiiit, very complex, would've taken aaaaaages to make it.

To tell you the truth I enjoyed the game (after the first...10 boring bits) though I did change the weapons to be a bit more powerful *whistle*

I had a look at their maps and man shiiiit, very complex, would've taken aaaaaages to make it.

Agreed. I quite enjoyed the game myself. :) I really appreciated the slower pacing of the game and the horror elements. They wanted to create a game that gave a nod to a time when games didn't have to be overly complicated. I really think iD succeeded...and on top of that, they created one kick ass game engine to boot. :)